2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel sync question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:02 PM
nicraage
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pressure regulator is back on the tank, and isn't easily modified..... The O2 Sensor *should* compensate.....

Have you been able to set sync with the scanner?
yes, I found a guy with a snap on Solus ultra. and got the fuel sync set between -1 and zero.
I want to say it runs slightly better, but barely noticeable. I'm still showing around 15 on the wide band until I get above 3k rpm, where it drops to 13-14.

Hemifever wants me to try to move it to +4, but I won't have access to the scanner until next week.

What I did do out of curiosity, is put the truck on jack stands, and put it in 1st gear to see if it bogged down. The rpms soared just like in neutral. I want to say my acceleration afterwards actually increased a bit.
My mechanics are wondering if there is an ecu setting tied to the transmission that slowing me down because it doesn't know my gears and tires have changed.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:09 PM
nicraage
Professional

Pressure regulator is back on the tank, and isn't easily modified.....
I thought it was part of the pump itself. I have a custom tank so it must have been moved. Is it feasible to remove the regulator completely and put in an adjustable regulator?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-F...5Yw4~h&vxp=mtr

Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I would be more tempted to completely revamp the fuel system, to a return style, with the regulator at the fuel rail. Then you could adjust it to anything you want.

I am REAL curious why your wideband thinks you are running so lean..... (well, ok, slightly lean.) I wonder if it is just inaccurate? When you have the scanner in hand, see what the stock O2 thinks is going on. It should bounce above/below .5 volts..... (.5 being what it would read with a perfect 14.7 ratio.)

I am not entirely sure increasing pressure would help you in this instance. The wideband is just reporting what it sees, the PCM doesn't have a clue about it. Raising fuel pressure will likely only result in the PCM shortening pulse-width on the injectors, leaving you right where you are now.

Just as an experiment, it would be interesting to see what the wideband thought in completely open loop. Just disconnect the front O2 sensor, and see what the wideband has to say.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 PM
nicraage
Professional

I would be more tempted to completely revamp the fuel system, to a return style, with the regulator at the fuel rail. Then you could adjust it to anything you want.

I am REAL curious why your wideband thinks you are running so lean..... (well, ok, slightly lean.) I wonder if it is just inaccurate? When you have the scanner in hand, see what the stock O2 thinks is going on. It should bounce above/below .5 volts..... (.5 being what it would read with a perfect 14.7 ratio.)

I am not entirely sure increasing pressure would help you in this instance. The wideband is just reporting what it sees, the PCM doesn't have a clue about it. Raising fuel pressure will likely only result in the PCM shortening pulse-width on the injectors, leaving you right where you are now.

Just as an experiment, it would be interesting to see what the wideband thought in completely open loop. Just disconnect the front O2 sensor, and see what the wideband has to say.
I will do that when I get the scanner.

I was planning to re-calibrate the wide band. It is completely independent, and not connected to the ecu. Will that experiment still work?

Is there an old model scanner that I can pick up for a used one for a couple hundred dollars that will do what I need? I'm not willing to drop a grand or two on one. The guy with the snap on was nice to wait around while I used it, and only asked me for a case of beer, but he seemed very possessive of it. It's the only one in a hundred miles of me. But I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred on something that I can use for the life of my truck.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:19 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Search around for a snap-on MT2500 with the proper cartridge and keys. They are going for about $250 on eBay now. I just got one a couple weeks ago.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, the MT2500, or MTG2500 (graphing capability) would work perfectly. Snap-On makes some good stuff. (and demand a premium price for it too...)

I am curious what the wideband will report with the PCM just running from tables. (open loop) You *should* see the engine running a bit rich.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:47 AM
nicraage
Professional

There was a snapon mt2500 on ebay that had all the cartridges I would need, but I missed the auction.

I'm looking at some alternative lesser known makes/models. If the description states the it reads live pcm data and 02 sensor data, is that what is needed for doing things such as fuel sync? I'm looking at these two:

EDIT: I'm actually considering this more so than the lower two links. It's a scanner that hooks to your laptop (any thoughts): https://www.autoenginuity.com/wordpr...ucts/scantool/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Launch-X431-...gAAOSwWxNYvjXG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iCARSOFT-CR-...UAAOSwk1JWcuKW

Thanks

Last edited by nicraage; 03-22-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The autoenginuity looks pretty cool. I wonder just how capable it is though..... I would be interested in seeing a list of prids it understands.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The autoenginuity won't work as linked with out the "Chrysler/ Dodge expansion pack"
https://www.autoenginuity.com/wordpr...e-family-ei04/

If this price includes the code reader software, then it would be a sweet deal for these trucks. The trouble I see is it looks like you pay the $250 for the code reader, then pay another $230 for the expansion pack.

As for the other 2 you linked too, they won't read fuel sync. A friend of mine bought both of those last year trying to set his and neither one would read more than the basic info you would see from a generic live scanner. Lots of good info if you're towing and want to watch things, but not so much for wrenching on them.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:15 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
The autoenginuity won't work as linked with out the "Chrysler/ Dodge expansion pack"
https://www.autoenginuity.com/wordpr...e-family-ei04/

If this price includes the code reader software, then it would be a sweet deal for these trucks. The trouble I see is it looks like you pay the $250 for the code reader, then pay another $230 for the expansion pack.

As for the other 2 you linked too, they won't read fuel sync. A friend of mine bought both of those last year trying to set his and neither one would read more than the basic info you would see from a generic live scanner. Lots of good info if you're towing and want to watch things, but not so much for wrenching on them.
Thanks, I'm glad I didn't buy those last two. I had went ahead and ordered the autoenginuity. It looks like it comes some software, but not the advanced chrysler package you linked to. The basic scanner according to this screenshot looks like it does what I need. Worst case I have to buy the Chrysler package for 220 more.
It will take a few weeks to reach me, but when i play with it, i will leave some info about it.