2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can't get foglights to work

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:14 PM
FireBug138
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Can't get foglights to work

Hi all, I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport & if it matters its a 5.9L, Auto, Quad Cab. Roughly 160K.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why the fog lights will not work. They never worked for the previous owner too. I have read quite a few posts and nothing seemed to work. The fuse is fine, is not burnt/blown, it has new bulbs in the fogs, and I have tried switching relays. When I turn the light switch to park lamps and low beams then pull it for fogs the indicator light comes on and the relay clicks but the fogs stay off. If I take a multi-meter to the fog bulb connector and hook it to both wires with the switch on I get no power but If I take my multi-meter and hook it to the blue wire in the bulb connector and hook the other lead to the neg. terminal on the batt I get 12V. So I think the problem has to be on the neg circuit because these lights are neg switched (afaik).

At the relay in the PDC with the multi-meter I get:
1- Pin 85 - 12V Power & Continuity to ground reading of 1.
2- Pin 86 - No Power
3- Pin 30 - 12V Power
4- Pin 87a - No Power
5- Pin 87 - No Power & Continuity to ground reading of 000.

And I did not see any obvious broken or shorted wires, I will take a deeper look into that soon. Well does anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-10-2017, 05:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

The headlamp switch controls the relay, and the relay provides the ground path for the fogs. (brown/yellow wire, connector 2, cavity 2) Check and see if you are getting power back to that point with the fogs on. (yeah, have to pull the dash apart some.)

Welcome to DF!

You can get the factory service manual for your truck from This thread.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Dinigus

Check your headlight bulbs. I had the same problem and found a 9007 where a 9004 should be. The 9007 plugs into the headlight & the wire harness - but creates weird problems.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:48 PM
FireBug138

Alright thanks guys, I'll check those out soon when it warms up some.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Erin Henrickson

Originally Posted by FireBug138
Alright thanks guys, I'll check those out soon when it warms up some.
I had the same problem with my gen 2 i just finally tracked it down yesterday. mine was a broken ground wire above the air dam right infront of the core support. if they are factory fog lights there is a plug mounted to the front of the core support at the base of the radiator. disconect the plug and verify that you have voltage at that plug.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:47 PM
thapioneer
Amateur

there is a ground terminal that corrodes on driver side under battery tray an near cruise unit that looks crimped an fine but inspect it or leave truck an lights on an wiggle wires at the ring end, its atleast 13 grounds and has a 10mm nut mounting it

Old 03-13-2017, 11:49 PM
thapioneer
Amateur

this ground terminal should have been a recall after how many i have encountered causing all kinds of lighting issues and drivability issues

Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 PM
FireBug138

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The headlamp switch controls the relay, and the relay provides the ground path for the fogs. (brown/yellow wire, connector 2, cavity 2) Check and see if you are getting power back to that point with the fogs on. (yeah, have to pull the dash apart some.)

Welcome to DF!

You can get the factory service manual for your truck from This thread.
I wasn't able to find a wire colored with brown and yellow on the connectors on the back of the headlight switch, however I did find a blue wire on pin # 7 that provides ground when I pull the fog lights to on.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:25 PM
FireBug138

Never mind I found the problem, there was a broke off corroded part in the harness that splits off the two wires to each light. Thank you all for your help and ideas.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:41 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FireBug138
Never mind I found the problem, there was a broke off corroded part in the harness that splits off the two wires to each light. Thank you all for your help and ideas.
So it's fixed?