2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Door Lock Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:42 AM
Kev250R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Door Lock Not Working

Just a quick question, on my '99 Ram the driver-side door lock most of the time does not move when the power door lock switch is used. I can manually lock or un-lock the dooor using the key or manually moving the the door lock on the door, and the passenger-side door lock lock's and un-locks just fine when I use either power door lock switches.

My question is there a power door lock actuator in the door panel which I can replace? And if so where's a good place to get one and how do I get to it?

Thanks,

--Kevin
'99 Ram 1500 QC

Old 02-08-2007, 04:19 PM
mojo
Professional
Default RE: Power Door Lock Not Working

Yes there is a door lock actuator. Take your pick of auto parts stores they run anywere fron $30 to $70 bucks. You need to pull the door pannel off and you should be able to see it. Its a simple job really.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Ballbeerfish
Rookie

Mine does the same thing.Drivers side door. If I push down on it real hard it works some time like there is a bad connection. Just to lazy to tear into it. 19 Degrees out right now too. Let me know if you fix it.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:33 PM
rickdb1
Amateur

Just replaced mine on my 97 1500. Had to go to the dealer and it was about 100.00 for the actuator. Not hard to do. Bought some extra door clips as they always tear up when you pull the door panel..

Old 02-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Kev250R

ORIGINAL: mojo

Yes there is a door lock actuator. Take your pick of auto parts stores they run anywere fron $30 to $70 bucks. You need to pull the door pannel off and you should be able to see it. Its a simple job really.
Thanks guys, this is just the information I was hoping to get. However I checked with my local Autozone, they said they don't carry them and I checked with Napa, Kragen, car-parts.com, etc. all on-line and haven't been able to find any. I'd like to avoid buying one from the dealer if possible (if not then I'll do it) so where are people getting their actuators other than from the dealer?

Thanks,

--Kevin
'99 RAM 1500 Mostly stock

Old 02-10-2007, 07:05 PM
982500Ram
Rookie

Hi

When I had the same problem with my passenger side lock I took off the door panel and it was just seized up. I sprayed it with a ton lof lube (did the iside of the door while I there) It's work perfect ever since. Just a thought....might want to look at it and see if its the same as mine was.

And also you may have to take a hacksaw blade and cut some of the plastic tabs that hold the door panel on and get new ones to put back on....or risk breaking the door panel...they are really tight

Darcy

Old 02-10-2007, 09:33 PM
sewerrat

I had this sort of problem with the power window the window would go down but not up, So last night I pulled the switches out of the door pannel, unplugged it took the whole thing appart , and one of the little copper tabs inside was coroded so I cleande it up a little wd40 and voila it works like a charm so it is an easy fix

Old 06-07-2007, 10:17 AM
ndnbrav

"Take your pick of auto parts stores they run anywere fron $30 to $70 bucks."...man, where do you shop? I can't find one that cheap...had to replace my pass. side door actuator..it would make like a humming/buzzing noise and not move the lock...so I figured while I had to do one already, might as well take the extra time and do both...now I have 2 new locks...just waiting for something else to go out now...

Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Thelast929

2004 Ram1500
I decided to get the door latch/lock actuator assembly from the dealer so I wouldn't have to wait. It was $81.83 w/tax.

Here's a pic of the old part.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...20321-1545.jpg
Here's my dealer receipt:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...20321-1546.jpg

Even with big hands, not that tough.

You need a torx bit to remove the door handle and latch assy. from door.

Make sure window is fully up!
1. Remove door handle with torx bit. Remove phillips head screw from door panel near door handle. Remove phillips head screw from door panel up front near side mirror. Didn't need to, but I unscrewed door lock plunger top too.
3. Pop out door control panel and remove plugs for power locks/windows/mirrors.
4. Door panel should should be fairly easy to remove by just lifting up and slightly away from door.
5. pull plastic sheeting away from door to gain access to door interior.
6. I made the choice to remove rod clip for the door key lock from the door and leave the rod conected to the assy. so i wouldn't mix anything up. The exterior door handle rod I disconnected from the assy.
I'm guessing you could just undo all of them since they're prebent and can only go to one thing. I was worried about mixing them and their direction up.
anyway, remove all the rods. yeah, it's tough on the fingers.
7. There are 3 torx bolts on the outside of the door(where you see the latch) that will allow you to remove the latch assy.
8. Unplug the elec. to the assy and it'll slide out.

Take a good look at new and old unit to make sure they're the same. It will also help you visulize what you're doing when blindly plunging your hand inside the door.

I didn't use mirros or any fancy tools for the rod clips. One side is easier to unpry than the other because of plastic thickness.

I believe it took about 40 min total. Was not really paying attention. First time pulling a Dodge door panel off.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Erm, five year old thread...... and this is the second gen section..... 94 to 01.......

Quick Reply: Power Door Lock Not Working