Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 3rd Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


3rd Gen Dakota 2005+ Dakota's

3.7 v6 to 4.7 v8??

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 PM
rebel4055 rebel4055 is offline
Veteran
2006 Dodge Dakota
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota 3.7l V6
Location: North Vernon, Indiana
Posts: 459
Default 3.7 v6 to 4.7 v8??

What would it take? What would I have to do to accomplish such a thing? I've been pondering the idea for a bit now.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2012, 01:07 AM
FrenicX's Avatar
FrenicX FrenicX is offline
Record Breaker
2005 Dodge Dakota
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT 2WD V8
Location: Sandy, UT. (SLC Suburbs)
Posts: 2,047
Default

New computer, wiring harness, motor & trans. If the if the existing wiring harness' (excluding engine harness) truck are compatible with the 4.7 pcm then that would make things easy, but if they aren't then you are in for a wiring nightmare.

Not sure of the accessory layout, but you may need to change the a/c lines and powersteering lines. The fuel feed line might need to be modified as well.

There's probably more, but that's a start.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 AM
06Dak4.7Silver's Avatar
06Dak4.7Silver 06Dak4.7Silver is offline
Record Breaker
2006 Dodge Dakota
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4.7
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,655
steveruel
Default

definitely do the H.O. motor if you do take this path!
__________________

Superchips 3865*Hipotek TB*K&N Filter*Airaid Intake Tube*Magnaflow 12256*Sonnax*NGK 4644*Monroe Struts & RS5000 + 2" leveling kit*HHR Fan/Derale*180 T-stat*Nitto 420S 265/50/20
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM
dakotaff's Avatar
dakotaff dakotaff is offline
Champion
2006 Dodge Dakota
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 06 SLT 4.7 4x4
Location: Jersey
Posts: 2,995
Default

Sell your truck and buy this one. He had it on Ebay and the reserve wasn't met. He was previously asking $13,000 and had no takers.

2006 Dodge Dakota R/T V8 HO
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 AM
donkeypunch's Avatar
donkeypunch donkeypunch is offline
King Jackass
1991 Eagle Talon
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota QC 4x4 ST
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 1,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenicX View Post
New computer, wiring harness, motor & trans. If the if the existing wiring harness' (excluding engine harness) truck are compatible with the 4.7 pcm then that would make things easy, but if they aren't then you are in for a wiring nightmare.

Not sure of the accessory layout, but you may need to change the a/c lines and powersteering lines. The fuel feed line might need to be modified as well.

There's probably more, but that's a start.
I was under the impression that the transmission was the same in the 3.7L and 4.7L. As far as I know, the manual transmissions were the same. However, the 4.7L has a different clutch and flywheel.

I know the lower radiator hose is the same, but the upper is different. Need to check PS and AC lines.

All of the accessories themselves are the same (alt. ps pump, ac pump, water pump, etc).

You will need new manifolds, but the y-pipe is the same.
__________________

06' Dakota ST 4x4 3.7L: Leveled, Ranchos, 285/75/16 Duratracs, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, CAI, Exhaust, E-fan, Sway Bars Delete, Drag Racing Driver Mod = owns you
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 AM
rebel4055 rebel4055 is offline
Veteran
2006 Dodge Dakota
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota 3.7l V6
Location: North Vernon, Indiana
Posts: 459
Default

Hmm... Maybe too rich for my blood. This was just a feeler so, thanks for the input. What about adding 4x4?? haha
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM
06Dak4.7Silver's Avatar
06Dak4.7Silver 06Dak4.7Silver is offline
Record Breaker
2006 Dodge Dakota
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4.7
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,655
steveruel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotaff View Post
Sell your truck and buy this one. He had it on Ebay and the reserve wasn't met. He was previously asking $13,000 and had no takers.

2006 Dodge Dakota R/T V8 HO
New front end! R/T.. I wouldn't mind that truck whatsoever
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 PM
jasonw's Avatar
jasonw jasonw is offline
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
2010 Dodge Dakota
My Garage
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 8,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeypunch View Post
I was under the impression that the transmission was the same in the 3.7L and 4.7L. As far as I know, the manual transmissions were the same. However, the 4.7L has a different clutch and flywheel.

I know the lower radiator hose is the same, but the upper is different. Need to check PS and AC lines.

All of the accessories themselves are the same (alt. ps pump, ac pump, water pump, etc).

You will need new manifolds, but the y-pipe is the same.
The 3.7L V6 used the 42RLE transmission. The 4.7L V8 used the same transmission as the Hemi engines in the larger trucks, the 545RFE. I believe you are correct about the manual.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Karl2006's Avatar
Karl2006 Karl2006 is offline
Registered User
2006 Dodge Dakota
My Garage
 
Join Date: May 2012
Vehicle: 2006 Dakota SLT 4WD V6
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver View Post
definitely do the H.O. motor if you do take this path!
It gets better (or worse)... I have a 2006 3.7L and was thinking the same thing the OP was. However, it seems that in 2008 the stock 4.7L was boosted up to 302HP (compared to 250/260 max in the 2006 V8's), so the best way to go if you were going to make a swap would be to put the 08 engine in assuming that doesn't open any additional cans of worms (such as Electronic Throttle Control). It would also still require the matching 5-45RFE auto tranny. Low mileage junkyard pulls would be about $3.2K for the engine and trans, which would hopefully mate up to the existing NV233HD transfer case. I think you'd definitely need the ECM from the 2008 truck (the '08 engine is two spark plugs per cylinder, for starters).

Oh well. Some rough numbers indicate it would cost me about $4-5K to upgrade from a 2006 to a similarly equipped and mileaged 2008 with a 4.7L. Probably about the same, and a helluva lot more time and effort, to install a turbo or a supercharger on the 3.7L (and it probably would not tolerate much boost).

I think it will be more cost effective to just buy another Corvette
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails