3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:12 AM
hwcurtice
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue

I wanted to pass this on.

While getting my transmission rebuilt, and return visits because the darn temp light kept coming on, and issue was found. Because the AC condenser is right next to the trucks computer in the engine bay, water can get into the computer connectors and start corroding. This leads to false readings in temperature.

There is a bulletin out on this, according to the transmission shop, but it took extra visits for them to 'discover' this. Dodge apparently knows about this 'design feature'. Can lead to premature transmission rebuilds, I would think.

Very possible, my transmission needed just a service done to it, not a complete rebuild.

Thank you Dodge engineers!

Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice find, and thanks for passing it on!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star

Yeah i noticed that too. I made a small "skid plate" that protects the comp a bit better.

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

Originally Posted by MitsuRaider
Yeah i noticed that too. I made a small "skid plate" that protects the comp a bit better.

Thanks!
And how is it working? That's what the transmission shop did. After cleaning the contacts and putting electrical gel on them to better protect the ends...

Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for the 6spd

Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 AM
hwcurtice
Veteran

Stopped by the transmission shop,because it's next to the shop where I went to get an estimate on the e-fan, and asked the guy about the bulletin.

turns out, the 'bulletin' is about the TPS and how the computer is located where water can get to it easily. It has a 12V wire right next to a 5V wire,and when they get wet, well, not happy things happen.

So, Automatic or 6 speed, if your computer gets wet, your going to have issues...

They've been having a ration of newer rigs come in to have transmission work done. Rigs with as low as 38K on them. They just don't build them like they used to.

I asked him about mine. The overdrive friction plates were burned. With all the highway miles I drive, I could see that, maybe. Also, because I didn't know that whenever I tow something, I should have it in 'Tow/Haul' mode, that may fix that issue as well.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Did the shop give you a bulletin number? Because I could not find it on the dealers tech page.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:37 AM
hwcurtice
Veteran

Originally Posted by master tech
Did the shop give you a bulletin number? Because I could not find it on the dealers tech page.
No. I wish they did. I would have posted it. Look for something having to do with the TPS. That's how they found it.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Robk1971
Professional

This is interesting. I'm going to have a look at my truck this evening. I wonder if this could be what has caused my truck to spontaneously stall on a few occasions. If I think about it, when the truck has stalled it was in the summer months when I would have been running the A/C and once after washing the engine. Either way, I'll do something to protect the wires even if just coating or covering them somehow.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

Mine actually stalled on my son one day.

I haven't driven the truck that much so I don't know if this has actually fixed the issue...

Quick Reply: Transmission issue