3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

need to improve gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
ernieharwell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to improve gas mileage

I am new to DF I drive a 2007 Dodge Ram quadcab 1500 4.7L manual trans I am getting terrible gas mileage I average 12.3 mpg. What are some things I can do to my truck to boost my gas mileage?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need to improve gas mileage

12.3 under what conditions? That isn't out of line unless it's the mileage you get at 60 mph on a flat interstate. My Hemi averages around 14 in town. A recent road trip averaged 14.5 overall with 17.8 at 80 on the interstate.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:03 AM
opposite locker
Rookie

Same problem with my '08 6spd...12-13 around town, 14-15 on the highway. Going to start by switching all drivetrain fluids to full synthetic...

Old 04-22-2008, 07:49 AM
08sxt

Synthetics are great but dont expect to jump by 4 or 5 MPG just by switching. I have switched all my vehicles to synthetics and plan on doing the same to my 08 after its broken in, but a .5 to 1.5 MPG gain is more realistic. I would start with checking the basics: clean air filter, tires have the right pressure, good tune up, etc. After all that is straight, use as little pressure on the gas pedal as possible to do what you are trying to do (acclerate from a stop, pass someone, etc) sure it feels and sounds great to pass another car at 3/4 throttle, but it kills your MPG quick. Also, use the cruise control as much as you can and do your best to stay at 70 MPH or less. I don't know it all, but my 08 1500 4.7 got 22.41 the other day so give it a try.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:26 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you drive your manual, shift points/RPMs?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Petz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been on the DF for a while now and i have seen various ways owners have attempted to stretch the MPG on their truck. At some point there has to be a break even point between saved gas money and cost of modifications. The most i have seen is about a 1.5 to 2 MPG increase with most being under 1mpg.

The first fact you have to remember is that you are driving a truck. MPG is going to suck and you have to be able to just accept the fact and take it in the ol' corn shoot when you pull up to the pump. Second is that life is always better in a Dodge Ram regardless of the price for gas when compared being in a honda or other small car.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 AM
chongo
Veteran

Second is that life is always better in a Dodge Ram regardless of the price for gas when compared being in a honda or other small car.
I have to agree with this - my truck has been getting repainted since last thursday and I had a 2007 camry for a day and a half before I took it back and got a tahoe to drive - the camry was killing me - the mpg was nice, but I couldnt stand it - my man card was suspended while I had the camry - Petz I responded to your thread about cost and increase in mpg - I have seen 2-3 mpg with just a tuner - there are ways to increase your mpg - some cost more than others, some work better than others.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Hemiriden
Professional

I have found that the mods don't really do much.... I have full synthetic in the engine, tranny, and diff.. I'm using platinum plugs with 7mm wires. I have a true flow CAI... As well as an under cover bed cover... (no exhaust yet, can't find the right one... going custom)... After all these mods (over the course of 2 years) i have gained about 1mpg over all.... I'm getting 14-16 City, 18-20 highway.... I've found they DO help to some extent... but it is like any mod... when you put a performance mod... you use more throttle and you "think" your butt dyno feels more power.... same with gas saving mods.... when your trying to save gas... usually your a little easier on the throttle....

My father borrowed my truck the other day to go to casa grand and back...(about 100 miles round trip) he filled it back up and averaged 17MPG topping out at 75mph.... i do the same trip and pull close to 20.... My point? Driving styles will be the BIGGEST factor in your MPG. I have a Hemi and i RARELY let her past 3k RPM....no jackrabbit starts.... ease INTO the throttle... and when changing lanes...slow down and get behind the person rather then speed up to get in front....these are just a few of the basics... I do more then this.. .like using cruise control EVERYWHERE.... it works STARTING at 25MPH on the Hemi... USE IT! lol

There are my two pennies.... take em or leave em...

Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Hemiriden
Professional

one other thing that will help your MPG... get smaller lighter tires.... lol... i have the 20's... each weigh about 120lbs .. that is 480LBS in Wheels... 8% of the vehicle weight is just wheels..... you're moving over 6k... drop that down into the 5's you will save gas.... so dropping to 17's you'll save at least 20 pounds each tire... Think of racing... every little bit will help in the long run....

Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 PM
DodgeCumminsBeast
Smile Improve Gas

Next time buy a Dodge with a Cummins Diesel. I get 29 mpg average (15 with 16000lbs behind it.) I also have a 2003 Dodge with a 5.9 Gas V8 and get 19. I used to get 13 when i first bough it. A good reusable air filter, nice exhaust, headers, and no cats has made a huge difference in mileage. A tuner also helped, but only 2mpg. If you have a diesel, put a boost fooler on it, and 8 inch straight pipe exhaust.

Quick Reply: need to improve gas mileage