3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1a Auto Suspension Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 07:03 PM
JSMCO
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1a Auto Suspension Parts

Guys,

Has anyone bought suspension parts from these guys? My 2008 1500 has 95,000 miles and the ride is getting a bit rough. I can see that the sway bar and sway bar link bushings are worn and cracked. I replaced the shocks at about 70,000 but it actually didn't make much difference so I am considering a kit from them to do a good part of the front end.

Here's the one I am considering:

1a auto suspension kit

I might also do the lower control arms as well, but hoping for some input from those here who might know what components would create the biggest improvement on the ride quality.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I note that it doesn't specify what brand parts they are...... Does have lifetime warranty though..... Price is certainly cheap, which I find concerning..... but, give it a shot, and see how it goes, and how long they last. Gotta be better than what's on there now, right?

Old 02-22-2019, 07:57 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Do you know if you have play in inner/outer tie rods and upper/lower ball joints? If so then this kit will tighten your steering. If not, then you probably won't be able to tell any difference. This kit is for steering/handling, not rough ride.
What do you mean when you say your ride is getting rough? What specific problems do you want to fix?

Old 02-22-2019, 10:16 PM
JSMCO
Rookie

Originally Posted by jrsick
Do you know if you have play in inner/outer tie rods and upper/lower ball joints? If so then this kit will tighten your steering. If not, then you probably won't be able to tell any difference. This kit is for steering/handling, not rough ride.
What do you mean when you say your ride is getting rough? What specific problems do you want to fix?
Thanks jr. I do not know if I have play in those. The next weekend day it's not bone cold I'll raise up the front end and check for looseness. The truck drives fine, no shimmy or sloppy steering or anything. Just seems like I can feel every little bump in the road, especially at slower speeds, and bigger bumps or potholes are pretty jarring. I don't expect a perfect luxury ride, I know it's a truck. Just trying to figure out what might make it feel a little more like when it was new and it glided over the bumps with a much softer feedback, and I thought having parts with new bushings that aren't old, hardened or worn might make a difference. Maybe it's something more simple, like better shocks. I replaced the OEM's with the Monroe OEM Spectrum Quick Struts.

Last edited by JSMCO; 02-22-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:10 PM
jrsick
All Star

You mentioned that your stabilizer bar and stabilizer bar link bushings were worn, why not replace them first? Probably $50 for two quality bushings and two stabilizer bar links.
I believe the stabilizer bar links have wrench points on each end so it should be a straightforward repair.
I'd be interested to know if this works for you. The bushings on my stab bar are looking ragged also.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:12 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I got their kit for my Dakota and I have put 5K on it so far, with no problems.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:39 PM
JSMCO
Rookie

You mentioned that your stabilizer bar and stabilizer bar link bushings were worn, why not replace them first? Probably $50 for two quality bushings and two stabilizer bar links.
I believe the stabilizer bar links have wrench points on each end so it should be a straightforward repair.
I'd be interested to know if this works for you. The bushings on my stab bar are looking ragged also.
Thank you. I will check for any play in the tie rod ends and ball joints as you suggested and if they are OK, will probably just get these bushings as suggested. Moog rubber sway bar bushings are about $22 a pair, and the sway bar link bushings, not the whole link, are about $7 for each side, while an entire new link is about $34 per side. Is Moog still considered good?

Old 02-24-2019, 07:52 AM
jrsick
All Star

Moog is very good. The Moog bushings will be rubber and very close to OE. When I replace my bushings I'm going to go with polyurethane.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:32 AM
JSMCO
Rookie

Moog is very good. The Moog bushings will be rubber and very close to OE. When I replace my bushings I'm going to go with polyurethane.
I think Moog has 2 different kinds. Blue ones and black ones. Both Rubber. It sounds like the Black ones are "more advanced". I was trying to figure out the difference between the rubber and poly and it sounded like generally the poly would be expected to be a little bit stiffer feel and they squeak sometimes?

Old 05-04-2019, 06:10 PM
JSMCO
Rookie
Default Torque for top nut on sway bar links?

Many weeks later, I finally got the time to do this. I went with black rubber sway bar bushings from moog and also moog greasable sway bar links with black rubber bushings. It's all installed. My question is does anyone know what the proper torque is for the top nuts on the sway bar links, or do I just tighten until the rubber bushings are compressed to a certain thickness? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 1a Auto Suspension Parts