3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new appreciation for the 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 AM
xill
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new appreciation for the 4.7L

BSin' online tonight and i found this article. this guy obviously is running a completely custom suspension to get this durango so high, but what really surprised me was that he is running the stock 4.7L and 5-45RFE tranny with 4.88s to turn those massive 49 iroks! gives me a little more respect for the 4.7 i have under my hood. and it looks like the photos were taken in the Imperial Dunes over here in my backyard (pretty cool). Being the guy is from Goodyear, AZ it wouldn't surprise me at all. but its a crazy article, thought you guys might enjoy it if you hadn't already seen it:

Nothing is off-limits in the world of truck building. Builders routinely reconfigure entire drivelines and suspensions to accomplish their ultimate goal. Needless to say, this level of modification requires the builder to spend a significant amount of time pondering the function and fitment of each and every potential mod, and then these items are analyzed even farther to determine their effects on other critical components. It's certainly not easy, but it's the price we pay for unique, ultra-functional go-anywhere rigs.

An example of this no-holds-barred build style is Karl Hasmanis' wild, solid front axle, coilover- and four-link-equipped 2000 Dodge Durango. Karl's goal was to create a one-of-a-kind solid-axle SUV that he could utilize off-highway and still drive around his hometown of Goodyear, Arizona. Clearly, he could've selected a rig that would've been much easier to build, but he's a management executive who welcomes challenges.

One look at the Durango reveals that clearly a significant amount of work was done underneath the SUV, much of which was necessary for the fitment of the 49-inch Iroks. The project began by removing the entire stock rear leaf-spring suspension and axle as well as the front IFS, axle and steering. Since the variety of planned mods would make space a premium under the Durango, the stock rear fuel tank was also discarded and a custom 28-gallon tank was installed in a position higher and farther to the rear of the vehicle than the stock unit.

A pair of Ford Dana 60 axles with disc brakes was sourced, the front being a high-pinion unit from an F-250 and the rear a unit from an F-350. Both were re-geared to 4.88:1 during their rebuild, and the front axle was fitted with an ARB Air Locker and a pair of Warn Premium hubs. Since the truck would be receiving a significant amount of suspension lift, the folks at FST Motorsports in Phoenix moved the rear axle 5 inches rearward and the front axle 5 inches forward. This ensured that the wheels stayed centered in the wheelwells. A pair of custom frame mounts for the soon-to-come four-link bars were then fabbed and welded in the center of each of the Durango's stock framerails.

Suspending the axles are four 2 1/2-inch-diameter Sway-A-Way RaceRunner Piggyback coilover shocks on custom mounts. Custom 1 1/2-inch-diameter four-link bars made from solid aluminum hexagon 7075 T651 tubing keep the axles located laterally. Each bar features 1x1-inch spherical rod ends to ensure durability and flexibility. The front suspension is a standard four-link system, while the rear is a triangulated four-link system.

To ensure that the steering system was protected from trail obstacles and durable enough to handle the stresses of four-wheeling, the front axle was also fitted with custom high-steer steering knuckles, a custom crossover steering system, an AGR Rock Ram hydraulic steering kit and tie rods fabbed from beefy 1 1/2-inch aluminum rod. Benchworks in Scottsdale rebuilt the stock steering box. The completed suspension system boasts approximately 30 inches of lift and each axle sports an impressive 16 inches of wheel travel.

Even with all of the suspension lift, the 49-inch tires still came in contact with the Durango's fenders at full flex. To eliminate this problem, the Durango's body underwent major surgery. The first mod was a custom 3-inch body lift. Next, the front wheelwells were widened by 6 inches and the rear wheelwells were widened by 8 inches. This created enough room for the axles to flex completely without tire-to-fender contact.
Hasmanis says that the polypropylene inner fenderwells had to be heated and stretched to compensate for the larger width of the wheel openings and the wheelwell moldings were also modified for the larger openings as well. Other exterior mods include a custom front bumper with a brushguard and a winch mount, as well as a custom roof rack and a rear bumper. All were fabbed by Toys by Troy in Phoenix, and sprayed to match the Durango's factory silver paint. Rounding out the exterior mods is a Warn 9.5ti winch and six Hella off-highway lights, which were wired by Finish Line Racing in Phoenix.

The Durango retains its 4.7L V-8 engine, but it underwent a couple of mods to increase its performance. It inhales through a custom 3-inch-diameter air-induction tube with K&N air filter and it exhales through a custom exhaust system bent by Midas exhaust that feeds a single pipe through a Raven muffler and out a pair of dual tailpipes. The horsepower is routed through the stock 5-45RFE transmission and split to a pair of Precision Driveline-built CV-equipped driveshafts by an Atlas II transfer case.
Hasmanis' Durango may not have been easy or cheap to build, but the end result is a 9 1/2-foot-tall SUV that's definitely one demented rig.

original article: http://fourwheeler.automotive.com/19...uck/index.html

Old 11-15-2009, 07:51 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Doesn't have stock axles which would be first thing to break with the size of those tires.
Also, i looked at the article.....Estimated value???...lol They mean what he's put into the Dak becuz stock engine/tranny with suspension mods is not worth $100k.

That machine is a light duty monster.
Nice ride though.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:47 AM
EASTTEXASDODGE08
Professional

how are you runnin 38's with a 4.7? all you got is 4.88 gears and cai? you got a chip? if so which one? and im bout to run 35's should i get 4.56 or 4.88 gears?

Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM
kicker417
Veteran

East texas dodge - the highest gears you can run are 4.56 now if you do alot of highway driving you migh want to think about it

Old 11-15-2009, 12:04 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Originally Posted by kicker417
East texas dodge - the highest gears you can run are 4.56 now if you do alot of highway driving you migh want to think about it
You'll have to go with 4.56's, 4x4's can't go any higher.

Last edited by CreativeOffroad; 11-15-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 PM
draco8494
Captain

its stuck ?!?!? lmao

Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 PM
EASTTEXASDODGE08
Professional

oh ok thanks dont know much about the gearing. I figured with that lift and tires that it would have been 4x4. Guess not. Does anybody know where to get lifts for cheap? 6in?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:09 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

roughcountry

Old 11-15-2009, 05:31 PM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by EASTTEXASDODGE08
oh ok thanks dont know much about the gearing. I figured with that lift and tires that it would have been 4x4. Guess not. Does anybody know where to get lifts for cheap? 6in?
the durango in the article is a 4x4. he has 4.88s because he swapped the front & rear axles for those that are big enough for 4.88s. 4.56s are as large as you can go with your stock differentials. as far as a cheap 6in lift kit, that depends on what you consider to be cheap. somewhere around $1k would be about right for a good do-it-yourself kit. add another $1k if you want it professionally installed. unless you're very mechanically inclined, or experienced in suspension work, i'd suggest a pro install. the suspension is too important to be playing with if you don't really know what you're doing. just my $0.02

Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Originally Posted by draco8494
its stuck ?!?!? lmao
thats what i thought lol

Quick Reply: new appreciation for the 4.7L