3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

2500 lift questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 PM
dawgfan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 lift questions?

I am weighing my options for my new lift. (05 4x4 QC 2500 CTD) I've read countless discussions on 1500 lift/leveling kits, but not a lot on 2500's so I hope this isn't beating a dead horse. I only want 3"-4" of lift, as this is my tow rig and my DD, so reliability and ride quality are important.
Option 1:
I originally planned to just order a cheap spacer type 3" level kit for the front and 1.5" rear block kit, then wrap all four corners in Bilstein 5100's. cost ~$500-550

Option 2:
Then I found this kit with progressive rate coils and Bilsteins included for $1100 shipped
http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/G...view=253320564

I don't think using the cheap leveling spacer type lift along with 5100's would give me a bad ride quality, but I am concerned about the death wobble issue/alignment problems . Will raising the front 3-4" using stock length control arms promote the death wobble issue I've heard so much about, or screw with handling? I know you would need longer arms for anything over 4", but not sure for under. The other issue with going the cheap route is are these spacers reliable for the weight of a Diesel 2500 and towing?

I know $1100 is on the high side for 3.5" of lift, and I have yet to find anyone running these progressive rate coils, so not sure how good they are, but that sounds like a great kit to me.
So what do you think, go with the cheap kit and put that extra $$ into other mods or spend it on the high priced kit? And please remember, this is for a 2500 CTD (heavy) and solid axle, not a 1500. I've had a lot of people offer advise, but they all own 1500's and have no experience with 2500's

Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 AM
ewb
Rookie

I have done this to several rams I have owned in the past and all 2500's. Anything over a 3 inch spacer which is actually pushing it will require longer shocks and a 3 inch drop pitman arm and longer arms to position the wheels directly in the center like factory. The 3 inch spacer from topguncustomz.com is perfectly fine. I have used it many times over the years. And all you need in a once inch spacer for the rear. The threshold is 3 inches then everything has to be changed....

Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM
dawgfan
Rookie

Originally Posted by ewb
I have done this to several rams I have owned in the past and all 2500's. Anything over a 3 inch spacer which is actually pushing it will require longer shocks and a 3 inch drop pitman arm and longer arms to position the wheels directly in the center like factory. The 3 inch spacer from topguncustomz.com is perfectly fine. I have used it many times over the years. And all you need in a once inch spacer for the rear. The threshold is 3 inches then everything has to be changed....
Thanks man, That"s the info I needed. I planned to buy shocks anyway, so no biggie there. But I def don"t want my front wheels/axle shifted to the rear. I actually almost bought another 2500 instead of this one that was already lifted, but backed out of it because of that very thing. The front axle looked like it was ~2" back from center in the wheel wells. Annoyed the crap out of me. I think I'm gonna go with the topgun kit and just do it right the 1st time

Old 07-21-2010, 12:05 AM
gasguy
Professional

Keep us updated!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by gasguy
Keep us updated!

Please!

Also, at that price I would consider jumping up to a 5" kit. I don't think cost would be much more, as you are already replacing all the same components. And 5" still allows for a nice drivable truck without any major drive-train issues.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 AM
gasguy
Professional

Yelr,

Tell me about your level kit. i'm getting real close to doing it, just have seen my 2500 hemi 4x's with one

Old 07-21-2010, 07:38 AM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

Look into the Carli 3" kit. It'll ride like stock if not better.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
dawgfan
Rookie

Originally Posted by olyelr
Please!

Also, at that price I would consider jumping up to a 5" kit. I don't think cost would be much more, as you are already replacing all the same components. And 5" still allows for a nice drivable truck without any major drive-train issues.
Yea, i am definitely in the price range of bigger lifts, but I want to stick with 33" tires for now, I think anymore lift would look funny. But I am still on the fence, the more I research, the more I start to change my mind. I told myself I would not go overboard with this truck as I have in the past. My goals are a good dependable, good riding, tow rig with good mileage capability. I have a money pit already- 1 ton, coilovered, and linked Bronco, so don't want another one.... but maybe 5" lift and 35"s/36"s wouldn't be to bad

Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 PM
dawgfan
Rookie

Yelr,

Tell me about your level kit. i'm getting real close to doing it, just have seen my 2500 hemi 4x's with one
X2, thats a really nice clean look. what kit and what size do you have?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dawgfan
Yea, i am definitely in the price range of bigger lifts, but I want to stick with 33" tires for now, I think anymore lift would look funny. But I am still on the fence, the more I research, the more I start to change my mind. I told myself I would not go overboard with this truck as I have in the past. My goals are a good dependable, good riding, tow rig with good mileage capability. I have a money pit already- 1 ton, coilovered, and linked Bronco, so don't want another one.... but maybe 5" lift and 35"s/36"s wouldn't be to bad

Hahahahahahah, ahh yes! The never ending modification saga. The bronc sounds bad ***!

Originally Posted by dawgfan
X2, thats a really nice clean look. what kit and what size do you have?
Yelr,

Its just a simple 2" steel leveling kit, nothing else. I cant remember which brand it is. I had it laying around in the garage, and when I bought the truck I figured what the he!!, might as well slide it under there and level it off.

Quick Reply: 2500 lift questions?