3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Output shaft speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 12:40 AM
Micweld
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Output shaft speed sensor

I just recently had a P0720 code pop up in my 2006 dodge ram 2500 diesel…. Code says it’s an error with the out put shaft speed sensor…. Had symptoms of improper shifting and and rpm issues. I swapped the sensor and once I get the garbage out of the back of my truck I plan on taking it up to highway speed to see if I still have the same issues… one of my concerns however is that the sensor had some metal filings on the magnet and I’m not sure how much is too much? Anyone on here have this problem before? I should add that I cleared the code a couple times before swapping the sensor and was able to use the truck normally for the rest of the trip home as this happened on our way back from our camping trip. It seems to be an Intermittent issue.

Last edited by Micweld; 08-01-2023 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

The metal filings on the end of the sensor can interfere with how it reads.... simply cleaning it off *might* have fixed it.

I expect *some* metal filings, how much is excessive? Good question. Don't have a pic by any chance do ya?

Old 08-01-2023, 08:29 PM
Micweld

They aren’t crazy bad chunks I don’t think but they are definitely there

Old 08-01-2023, 09:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Clean it off, put it back in. That's actually pretty normal.

The following users liked this post:
Micweld (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 10:00 PM
Micweld

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Clean it off, put it back in. That's actually pretty normal.

i had already purchased a new sensor for the price I don’t want any future hassles so I just swapped it out

Old 08-02-2023, 10:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Micweld
i had already purchased a new sensor for the price I don’t want any future hassles so I just swapped it out
That works too.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:42 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When you said you "swapped" the speed sensor, did you replace it with a new one?

Both speed sensor's are identical on the 45RFE, 545RFE. A diagnostic step could be 'swapping' the input and output sensor and seeing if the fault (MIL code) followed to the other position.
If you didn't buy a new MOPAR brand sensor, I would hang onto the original and if the problem returns, troubleshoot as required. When I started riding motorcycles was when I learned that many times the best parts are factory parts, so I try to stay away from the discount imitation parts, especially the ones that have a 'lifetime guarantee"

What HeyYou said about simply cleaning the chips off of the magnetic sensor is true.

* Please remember to return and let us know how this all plays out.
I have been searching this forum (and ram forum) looking for similar information regarding my transmission pressure transducer and I find forum posts that just go dead. I presume that the member got his truck fixed, and had no more reason to return and tell what they did to fix it. I wish they would, I would likely have the answer I am looking for.

Last edited by FabricGATOR; 08-02-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:51 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, and when you put things together on a transmission, like inserting those sensors into the case... use Vasoline as an assembly lubricant (or transmission fluid)
Vaseline will dissolve in transmission fluid because it has similar molecular properties.

Quick Reply: Output shaft speed sensor