3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dead Tow Harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Anianna
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Tow Harnesses

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 with tow package. I bought a seven blade to four pin adapter because the four pin below the bumper had been left open and is filthy (we bought the truck used). There is no power to the seven pin and I can't find a thing in the manual about whether there is a way to turn it on or off. I used a toothpick to clean the dirt out of the four pin harness under the bumper, but it isn't providing any power, either. Is there something I can do or check to get power to either tow harness?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:37 AM
freestyledude
Captain

I don't see why they would be turned off/on, I'd just say check fuses and look for broken wiring. Could also pull apart the connector to see if any wires got pulled apart.

Mine's all filthy and wrecked too, I'm gonna buy a whole new assembly if I keep my truck.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the harness can be turned on or off. I also believe it is separate segment of the front control module. Check the fuses under the hood in the power dist center (fuse/relay box).

You may find that the plug component itself is the problem, check to see if you can get voltage for the turn signals, markers

Old 06-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Anianna

Apparently, the harnesses only receive power when the tow button is engaged. The manual says the tow button is for hilly terrain, and since I am only hauling a light trailer on a flat highway, I had not engaged it previously. I gave it a try this morning and the harnesses received power once the tow button was engaged.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it figured out, my 2500 has the tow package, but no push button so the harnesses are active all the time----its also a stick so that may have something to do with it too.

Be careful not to short it out, the turn signals are a separate circuit driven by the front control module (computer) and is an integral part of the power dist center $$$$$$$$$$ to replace.

There should also have been a small blue plug harness that comes with the tow package for hooking up an electric brake to the system. The vehicle harness plug portion is buried somewhere up in the dash on the drivers side

Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's ridiculous. The tow harness should receive power all the time. I've never heard of this situation on any other Ram.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Anianna

My husband informs me I was incorrect; that the harnesses now receive power whether or not the tow button is engaged. I have no idea why there was no power to either harness last night and at least the seven slot now has power. The only thing I did this morning was engage the tow button. Perhaps the fuse is going bad but just hasn't gone completely?

It ended up not really mattering. The lights on the trailer I borrowed aren't working regardless of power in the harness. *sigh*

Old 06-25-2011, 05:14 PM
theo112

you can purchase a new 7 pin plug on Ebay for less than ten bucks. ( if you have the factory tow package.) It's four screws and a plug, that can be replaced in mere minutes. My 07's harness it "hot" regardless of tow/haul mode button.

Quick Reply: Dead Tow Harnesses