3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing new cats

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Northern Goat
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new cats

Hey Folks Just picked up my new cats Walkers and they are bolt in. I have no issue with the manifold side but its the other end that has me scrsatching my head. Is this side weled in or can I use a muffler clamp? I have not yet looked under truck but the drivers side turns towards the passenfger side and ties in beside the passenger pipe. The other question is what size is the muffler clamp? I bleieve its 3 inch but would like to confirm

Last edited by Northern Goat; 03-27-2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Apparently I cannot spell
Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Around where I live, cats have to be welded. Mufflers can be clamped, but the cat must be welded to pass inspection.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Northern Goat
Rookie

Sorry Brutal post. The cats are welded. I was just trying to envision how the 2 cats were tied togther. Now I see. Piece of cake. Wondering however if I am going to have to lower the sub frame to install the cat. Pretty tight in there. Shop I asked an estimate fro said you need to drop the subframe? Anyone have an issue with this?

Old 03-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Northern Goat
Rookie

So I installed new cats, (That was fun) cleared the codes and engine lgiht stayed on when i started truck. Went to part source P0420 has left the building but I now have P0032 which is voltage to high bank 1 sensor 1. I installed new 02's all around last year when she was running rough buyt did not address the 420 code (I know not good) anyways could I have fried that 02 sensor drving around with a semi plugged cat. I can tell the old one was quite restrictive as the motor sounds totally different now. Having a hard time telling if I am getting a rough accleration or im not used to the rumble. Goin got let the old girl cool off, check the cats for leaks, ensure the o2's are plugged in securely. Going to swap the front sensors and see if that code swaps to other side. If it doesn't swap over then I have wiring issue to sensors or the PCM is shot. I bought this truck used and the PCM has some yellow writing on it so I am going to assume its a used replacement. I have never had a vehicle that was such a pain in the ***.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 AM
Northern Goat
Rookie

Ok turned out I was working myself up reading all the tales of grief on here. Climbed under truck, went to swap the 02 sensors in the front and the drivers side came a part in my hand. Turns out the tab that lets you snap it in place is broken. so I put a zip tie around it tightened it up, cleared the code and started her up runs like a dream and no idiot light. hopefull it does not come lose again otherwise need a new connector spliced in and that should be a treat with the amount of room in that area. So happy I am done with that crap. moral of the story and I hear this all the time. check the obvious stuff first and dont assume its going to be worse case scenario. I'm my own worst enemy.

Last edited by Northern Goat; 04-01-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:54 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if running and sounds like a forging hammer.. its broken
if hole on side of block... its broken

otherwise most times. the engine is fixable..

but 95 percent of the time. something outside of engine is the issue.
my opinion.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Northern Goat
Rookie

Hey Folks Looks like I planned the victory parade too soon. The Damn Nab #T&@$# light is winking at me again, This time P0404 EGR valve. I replaced this 3 years back but still drove around with a sludge plugged top end, a plugged cat so i am thinking i may have plugged this puppy right up. At this point i have rebuilt top end, replaced cats ,02 sensors done a year or so back and seem to be working for me. Seems like emission **** is failing one after the other.

I hear the pipe that goes from the EGR to the intake manifold could be grimy and I should clean this pipe up with carb cleaner? Does it disconnect from the manifold side easily or whats the deal.

I still have a dud alternator (bearing acts up) and when i start the truck in the morning the gauge crawls up to charging (Almost hesitates) instead of jumping right up upon start. Going to change alternator and possibly the PCM is sensitive due to irregular power from alternator? Just thoughts that bounce around in my head.

As for the EGR replacement do I or do I not need to have PCM re-flashed? Seen so many answers on this topic its hard to tell whats the fact and what is crap? As always I am appreciative and in awe of some of you folks knowledge on these trucks. Its impressive to say the least.
"What say ye oh wise ones"!

Old 04-05-2015, 09:57 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

No re flash for ego replacement. You have a code reader so you can clear the code.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Largefarva
Professional

What year truck and what engine?

Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Northern Goat
Rookie

Originally Posted by Largefarva
What year truck and what engine?
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi