4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DVD While Driving - Aftermarket Options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD While Driving - Aftermarket Options?

Has anyone out there installed an aftermarket stereo with touch screen nav that allows you to play a DVD while driving? I have the factory MyGig, but I'm thinking of just swapping it out with another unit instead of getting a lockpick. Every stereo I look at on crutchfield says it only allows DVD playback while in park, which won't work for me.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Hal_T
Rookie

I have a Kenwood DNX 6140 I couldn't be happier with it. Everything works while driving also. I replaced the factory speakers with JL Audio. It rocks. You can get any unit you want. The installer is what makes the dvd/nav work while you drive. It's illegal however.

Last edited by Hal_T; 03-16-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
DirtyD

I have a Kenwood KTV-719DVD in mine. I love it! Factory speakers but the new head unit puts out more power to them and they sounds great now. And b/c I installed it myself it'll play anything while driving.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Hal_T
Rookie

I've always wondered. Do those flip up screens shake or vibrate while you're driving?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
DirtyD

Nope, not mine anyway. I just have a cheap $10 mounting kit for it also. The screen only gives a little bit when it's pushed, but even then it's not really noticeable. While driving or riding in the truck you don't see any movement.

I had the same unit in my Explorer before I bought the Ram and it was the same there. It's pretty sturdy.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:58 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain

Originally Posted by Sobomaster
Has anyone out there installed an aftermarket stereo with touch screen nav that allows you to play a DVD while driving? I have the factory MyGig, but I'm thinking of just swapping it out with another unit instead of getting a lockpick. Every stereo I look at on crutchfield says it only allows DVD playback while in park, which won't work for me.

Thanks in advance.
For the $$ your gonna pay for a new unit, your better off getting the allgig/navtv setup instead, and it upgrades by software.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 PM
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Sobomaster

Thanks in advance.

Didn't see the last part of your post there. Every place you look for a replacement head unit at will say it will only allow DVD playback while either in park or with the parking break on. Installing it yourself allows you to get around it by grounding the wire that is supposed to go to the parking break. It's not illegal...just frowned upon by the manufacturer.

If you've never attempted adding a stereo to your vehicle the 09 Ram is a tricky one as you need to buy an adapter that works for the CAN bus system that the new Rams have. It's basically a $70 wire harness plus another $40 adapter if you want to retain your steering wheel controls and $10-$20 for an antenna adapter (forget going with a powered adapter, I got that one and don't notice a bit of difference in reception)

Check out PAC-Audio, that's what my adapters are and they all work perfectly.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:10 PM
LUBINATOR
Default Watching DVD while driving?

Do you text while driving also?

Please let us know which highways and when you will be out there

Thank you,

Old 03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
j0e
Professional

ive had a dvd player in my show car for years.
it plays while driving and i dont even look at it; its for my passenger.
it is illegal in NY, but ive never had an issue.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I'm typically too busy trying to mow down bikers and run hybrids off the road to text.

Quick Reply: DVD While Driving - Aftermarket Options?