4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Annoying front end squeak..ugh

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013 | 08:58 AM
gil7247

Thanks for the tip. Gil

Old 09-30-2013 | 11:08 PM
derick_kimbrough

Hi, I also have that annoying squeaking noise in my front end, I started to noticed it when i installed a leveling kit on it.. it went on for a long time before i could actually take it back to the shop where i had it installed, the guy said i had a blown shock.. turns out he didn't torque the nut on top and the shock was loose so i tightened it up and it stopped.. a couple of weeks went by and i noticed that it had started to squeak again so i took the wheel off and was goin to tight the nut down but it was as tight as i could get it.. So i put the wheel back on and let it ride until i couldn't stand it anymore. So, one weekend i took the shock off put a new nut, washer and rubber, put locktite on the threads just incase.. it stopped. Then, it started again, i never had it aligned when i had the leveling kit installed so im goin to do that this Friday hopefully it will do something. I hoping its not a ball joint gone bad. I've Checked everything, sprayed everything i could spray and still squeaks. If this alignment doesn't help i don't know what im gonna do! Please Help. i really don't wanna take my leveling kit off.

Old 10-03-2013 | 11:21 PM
Mikeyyy816
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by derick_kimbrough
Hi, I also have that annoying squeaking noise in my front end, I started to noticed it when i installed a leveling kit on it.. it went on for a long time before i could actually take it back to the shop where i had it installed, the guy said i had a blown shock.. turns out he didn't torque the nut on top and the shock was loose so i tightened it up and it stopped.. a couple of weeks went by and i noticed that it had started to squeak again so i took the wheel off and was goin to tight the nut down but it was as tight as i could get it.. So i put the wheel back on and let it ride until i couldn't stand it anymore. So, one weekend i took the shock off put a new nut, washer and rubber, put locktite on the threads just incase.. it stopped. Then, it started again, i never had it aligned when i had the leveling kit installed so im goin to do that this Friday hopefully it will do something. I hoping its not a ball joint gone bad. I've Checked everything, sprayed everything i could spray and still squeaks. If this alignment doesn't help i don't know what im gonna do! Please Help. i really don't wanna take my leveling kit off.
Well give us some info...what kind of leveling kit did you install? Spacers, leveling struts (i.e bilstein 5100?)...The FIRST thing you should have done is got it aligned...that is going to cause EXTREME pre-mature wear on your tires. But on my truck it was my strut rod nut. I'm assuming you had a spring compressor handy to take your strut off and replace the nut. The squeaking is prob. not from you neglecting to get an alignment...it has to be suspension related...did you check your hood? Is it only at slow speeds? Can you get a video of it?

Old 05-29-2014 | 10:40 PM
ruyela

2009 4x4 ram 5.7 27000 my front end has been squeeking for 4 to 5 thousand miles now I got a lifetime powertrain warranty, and planned to keep the truck until I die, but all I want to do is drive it into a cliff everytime I roll the window down. It is so loud and embarrassing I get pissed everytime I drive. I have had my entire front end apart 3 or 4 times arms and everything those of you who say it is bushings are wrong. There isn't a trick in the book that will fix it, sounds like it is coming from top of strut, but a whole can of white lithium grease does nothing. Does someone have an intelligent answer to post on here?

Old 05-29-2014 | 10:43 PM
Mikeyyy816
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ruyela
2009 4x4 ram 5.7 27000 my front end has been squeeking for 4 to 5 thousand miles now I got a lifetime powertrain warranty, and planned to keep the truck until I die, but all I want to do is drive it into a cliff everytime I roll the window down. It is so loud and embarrassing I get pissed everytime I drive. I have had my entire front end apart 3 or 4 times arms and everything those of you who say it is bushings are wrong. There isn't a trick in the book that will fix it, sounds like it is coming from top of strut, but a whole can of white lithium grease does nothing. Does someone have an intelligent answer to post on here?
Try to torque the strut rod nut... I had that issue when I installed my bilstein 5100 struts. I had the same issue you're talking about I did that and the problem was solved.

Old 05-30-2014 | 08:21 AM
ruyela

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
Try to torque the strut rod nut... I had that issue when I installed my bilstein 5100 struts. I had the same issue you're talking about I did that and the problem was solved.

Awesome this seemed to work at least temporarily, I might keep her after all. I was unaware there was a nut as I installed a spring spacer and just remember the 3 bolts ontop the strut tower, but there is a hole with a nut and I didn't get it tightented up correctly as it sits down inside the hole, but it has stopped my squeak. Thanks Mikey

Old 05-31-2014 | 10:06 AM
ruyela

Originally Posted by ruyela
Awesome this seemed to work at least temporarily, I might keep her after all. I was unaware there was a nut as I installed a spring spacer and just remember the 3 bolts ontop the strut tower, but there is a hole with a nut and I didn't get it tightented up correctly as it sits down inside the hole, but it has stopped my squeak. Thanks Mikey

Well after a day its back and just as bad as ever. I kept tightening the strut rod nut until I broke the top of one of them off, and still sounds like an ambulance going down the road dragging a bunch of chains. My next fix is going to buy new struts, I will try the 5100's as the stock ones are 177.00 and the adj ride height 5100's are 109.00. If this doesn't fix it I'm back to the cliff idea.

Old 07-29-2014 | 05:11 PM
enewman513

I have a 2011 ram stock and have the same issues, Has anyone figured out what this is and what did they do to correct it?

Old 12-06-2014 | 03:37 PM
ruyela
Default FIX Finally I have found my problem.

I had been using stock 09 1500 4x4 front struts with the leveling spacers installed on top of the strut. The piston arm of the strut was rubbing on a piece of the mounting bracket I will include a pic of the inside of the upper strut mount and how the strut piston arm was rubbing it. No ammount of grease or oil would have cured this, the answer was the adjustable ride Bilstein 5100's they are awesome my truck just got a new lease on life, and I am proud to drive it again. Plus I kept my level ride...... the way the spring compresses on the 5100 is different than the stock strut and spacer and it rides much better.

Attached Thumbnails Annoying front end squeak..ugh-imag0414.jpg   Annoying front end squeak..ugh-imag0416.jpg  
Old 09-28-2017 | 08:59 AM
WhiteWhale27
Default front end squeak

I bought 2014 ram 1500 4x4 slt, used, also purchased extended warranty. squeak started in dry weather and persisted, until wet weather, finally got dealer to look at it. they determined right upper control arm, upper ball joint and strut and spring should be replaced, goes in next week for fix under zurich warranty. I was wonder if I should have left side spring and strut replaced at my costs. truck has 13600 miles on it...any sugestions?

Quick Reply: Annoying front end squeak..ugh