4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Annoying front end squeak..ugh

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012 | 09:58 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

This probably isn't the same problem, however last summer I had a squeak underneath my cab. Everytime I hit a bump "squeak" very slight, yet very annoying. Anyway the E-brake cable had a protective rubber sleeve that was rubbing on bracket under my rear-cab door. I readjusted the sleeve and sprayed some lubricant and no more problems.

Old 03-12-2012 | 10:25 AM
Mikeyyy816
|
Record Breaker

Will take a look today after work... Any bit of advixe will help... Thanks power sedan...

Old 03-12-2012 | 10:38 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I forgot to mention, I was able to duplicate the sound by rocking the cab slightly outside with my hands in the door frame. That helped me pinpoint the location a little more accurately.

Old 03-12-2012 | 03:13 PM
Mikeyyy816
|
Record Breaker

I climbed all over underneath today... 71* out, finally a GORGEOUS day...and still couldn't find a damn thing...grabbed everything and everything is tight, looked at the e-brake cable and all looked fine. So to the dealer on thursday...love wasting away my days of joy at the dealer.

Old 04-04-2012 | 11:59 AM
Mikeyyy816
|
Record Breaker

Update guys....

Finally got time off to get it to the dealer. The technician went for a test drive w/ me. He heard the noise...It's not a rotational noise, just this pesky little squeak. Rocked the truck back and forth and couldn't hear anything. So they put it up on the lift and re-tightened all suspension components (driver and passenger side). He told me not to use the white lithium based grease bc it tends to dry up. (Well the lithium grease never helped w/ the squeak when I tried it) So he sprayed all the rubber suspension parts w/ this stuff called "Cheetah Grease" and it is as silent as when I bought it.

He also found some rub marks underneath the hood. So he applied some tape to it, did some hood adjustments. After he did everything he jumped in the truck w/ me for another test drive and everything was quiet. So as of right now I'm extremely happy. So hopefully it was just the hood I'm sure I'll find out in a few days or when I wash the truck tomorrow or as the lubricant wears off. If it doesn't come back then it's the hood!

Old 06-28-2012 | 09:19 PM
Mikeyyy816
|
Record Breaker

Update partial sigh...but EXTREMELY HAPPY!

Okay, so I just got to FL and figured after this 17 hours road trip by myself driving straight though, it'd be a decent test.

About a month and a half before I left NJ the squeak came back...I was livid. So I finally did some more research online specifically pointing to the 5100's. On some silverado forums, some guys pin-pointed the squeak to the strut nut on top of the strut rod. So I went to the driver side with my torque wrench set it at 5 ft-lbs and gradually increase just to see what it was set at. It didn't even click AT 5 ft-lbs. It was loose...I could of swore I torqued this nut. But how/why it backed off I don't know..

Well of course I didn't have a strut socket..so my redneck side came out and I got inventive and tightened it in my driveway with a pair of vise grips and a allen key and a squared off socket and got it tight. The minute I got it tight the squeak stopped.

So after thinking it might have been the hood...it wasn't and found it to be a direct result from my 5100's and operator error

I wanted to put some miles on the truck before I updated and here's the update for y'all if you ever have this issue with the Bilstein 5100's. Has about 3000 miles on the truck and still no squeak. Hopefully it stays this way!

Old 06-29-2012 | 05:36 AM
RamTRX
Rookie

I posted a topic about a squeak I was getting. It sounded like it was coming from the front left wheel. Took it to the dealer and they said it needed new breaks and roaters. It has 34,000km on it!! I call bull**** on their assessment and will take it to another dealer soon to see if they can figure it out. It happens at low speeds, and stops when I apply the breaks.

Old 06-29-2012 | 09:04 AM
Mikeyyy816
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RamTRX
I posted a topic about a squeak I was getting. It sounded like it was coming from the front left wheel. Took it to the dealer and they said it needed new breaks and roaters. It has 34,000km on it!! I call bull**** on their assessment and will take it to another dealer soon to see if they can figure it out. It happens at low speeds, and stops when I apply the breaks.
Yea I commented on your post before. Well this squeak is completely different from my brake squeak...brakes are **** on this truck anyway. They've squeaked since I bought it and are just progressively getting worse.

Old 06-29-2012 | 06:58 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Congrats on resolving the sqeaking issue! Reluctantly I too figured what my annoying (noise) rattle was in my front passenger seat today. I know it's not suspension related, but driving down rural county highways everyday (which have seen better days) was driving me batty!

Old 06-29-2012 | 11:20 PM
Mikeyyy816
|
Record Breaker

The littlest squeak/rattle is torture. No matter how loud I'll turn up my music I can still hear it. When my keys rattle it pisses me off Haha.

Was it your whole seat rattling.. Or something under it?

Quick Reply: Annoying front end squeak..ugh