4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Annoying front end squeak..ugh

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012 | 11:32 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I wasn't sure what was causing the rattling, so it became a process of elimination, seatbelt, plastic cover by the jack, removing the jack all together from its current location, etc...

Anyways yesterday I was able to duplicate the sound by shifting the seat with my arm pushing resistance. It sounded like it was coming from the adjusting position rail underneath the seat (passenger seat is not a powered seat). After sitting in the seat rocking the truck trying to duplicate the sound with no luck I went to the rear part of the cab (back seat of my crew cab) and gave the seat a good thrust forward with my arms. As soon as I did this I heard a loud "click".

For whatever reason the left rail is not locking into place underneath the passenger front seat when adjusting different positions. Not that I'm worried about it, my wife is typically my passenger, so the seat remains in the current position 100% of the time, lol! After a test ride down a highway known as "Frog Alley" (So bumpy, your vehicle jumps around like a frog), no more rattling from the front seat!

Old 07-02-2012 | 10:20 AM
jawsdc
Veteran

there's an RRT for that squeak PS. it's not much of a fix, only requiring a grease application. i wish someone would watch to see where they are applying the grease though so we can re-do it when it starts up again.

Old 07-02-2012 | 01:27 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Originally Posted by jawsdc
there's an RRT for that squeak PS. it's not much of a fix, only requiring a grease application. i wish someone would watch to see where they are applying the grease though so we can re-do it when it starts up again.
Yeah, I was aware of this, however mine was a distinct rattle noise, no squeaking. I have to go in for the tie-rod recall, I know one of the techs (member of our local mopar club), I'll see what he says, unless it's brought into this conversation by someone else.

Old 07-02-2012 | 07:17 PM
stlram
Rookie

My 09 had the same issue and I could have swore it was coming from the front end but I finally figured out my RAM boxes were causing this high pitch squeak! A little grease on the latch and it was gone. Didnt notice if yours had the ram boxes on it or not but you might check them if you do.

Old 08-04-2013 | 07:03 PM
engine3nfd

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
Did some searching around and couldn't find an answer...

I have a 2009 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7...has just over 29k on it. I installed bilsteins in december and have just over 4k on the new bilstein 5100 struts. About 3k ago I noticed an unbearable squeak coming from the front end (only when driving) over bumps in the road. I can only hear the squeak w/ the windows down. I like driving w/ the windows down now that it's warming up ... but it's not super loud but high pitch enough to where I can hear it no matter how loud the radio is.

I took it to the dealer they claimed "body mounts". I don't buy that after inspecting them myself they look fine... but either way they said they'd replace under warranty (still on back order apparently, over a month and ticking)

I read on multiple things online that it could be the coil spring rubbing on the strut tower since the spring is compressed more now that I have my bilsteins set at 2.8" setting...I got to look tomorrow when I get back to the truck.

I've also read that if the sway bar bushings were over tightened that it can cause a high pitch squeak...anyone have any knowledge on this? I did the bilstein install myself...

The squeak is so bad that if I can't figure it out that I think a trade in is very possible in the near future...it's getting on my nerves that bad!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated..

Here's a video I posted on you tube in regards to my cat back exhaust.... but if you listen right at 37-38seconds you can here that slight squeak..not the best video but all I have as of right now. Turn it up as it's faint bc the camera was far away..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7NBMAW1tkc

I have a 2012 dodge ram 1500 crewcab and i believe it is the same squeak. Stock suspension, I only added a magnaflow cat back. mine sounds like its coming from under the driverside, but im gonna go check the hood, the strut, and the body mount. But I swear it is the same noise in the video you posted.

Old 08-04-2013 | 07:13 PM
Mikeyyy816
|
Record Breaker

Well if its the same sound check the strut rod nut. Even though you have stock struts it may be worth a check? If not check the hood

Old 08-04-2013 | 08:17 PM
engine3nfd

Found the little bastard. Was the driver side RAMBOX lid. i drove around with it up and didn't hear a peep. Just greased the hell out of it. Problem solved! Thanks guys this thread saved me countless hours.

Old 09-13-2013 | 02:00 PM
ramluv
Default Squeaking and it's not my wife

I've had my rear brakes replaced, my front brakes and rotors replaced and I'm still hearing an annoying squeak when I'm driving a relatively slow speeds through parking lots or pass cars or other physical structures. It doesn't happen when I'm braking (besides the usual brake dust noise) Anybody have a clue?

Old 09-14-2013 | 10:15 AM
gil7247

I have the same thing coming from the right front of my truck and we discovered the lower ball joint was dry. No damage to the boot so apparently minimal lube went in at production. The joint itself is still tight and within spec but it makes an irratating noise and will wear out soon with no lube in there. Now the bad thing is I can't find any to sell me just the ball joint so I had to buy the whole lower control arm.

Old 09-16-2013 | 07:23 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

Drill a hole in it and stick a zerk fitting in. Lube it up. If you try it I am not certain but I believe you drill through the thin metal cover and then also have to dril very carefully through a plastic liner that covers the ball joint inside. This allows the grease into the sealed area. Be careful not to over tighten the zerk fitting as the metal outside cover is very thin. You'll only get one or two threads in. But enough to fill the joint if you go slow and steady. Hey it will give you several more weeks/months of use if it is still tight right now.

Last edited by RAMULAK; 09-16-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Annoying front end squeak..ugh