4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 05:44 PM
mcweaver
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door lock issue

My wife has a 2013 quad cab. Something is going on with the auto door lock. The driver door and tailgate are the only ones that you can lock by pushing the key thob or the button on the arm rest, the other four you have lock manually. They will all unlock with a button but passenger front and both back doors will not lock with a button. I did the search and couldnt come up with anything. Any ideas?

Old 09-28-2015, 12:31 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

What type of engine does she have, mcweaver? I'd like to see if there is a TSB related to this concern.

Also, is the vehicle still under warranty?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:02 PM
mcweaver
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

she has a 4.7. No unfortunately it is no longer under warranty 47,xxx miles on it. If you do find something that would be great!

Old 09-28-2015, 01:05 PM
John Valdes
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcweaver
My wife has a 2013 quad cab. Something is going on with the auto door lock. The driver door and tailgate are the only ones that you can lock by pushing the key thob or the button on the arm rest, the other four you have lock manually. They will all unlock with a button but passenger front and both back doors will not lock with a button. I did the search and couldnt come up with anything. Any ideas?
I have an 2009 and have had issues like this since the very first day.
It unlocks fine from the FOB sometimes and not so much sometimes.
I even have trouble with the door locking switches. They do not always lock the vehicle when exiting. Many times I have had to use the FOB or the door switches to get the doors to lock or to unlock.
I actually was so disappointed in my new truck back in 09, that I threw the FOB to the ground as hard as I could. I had gotten locked out several times in public with a brand new truck.
It (FOB) still works once I cleaned up the rough edges with my wifes nail file.
Its still a toss up if its going to work or not still to this very day.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:08 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Unfortunately I couldn't find a service bulletin for this, mcweaver. I would recommend a trip to the dealership to have this formally diagnosed. If you would like any assistance scheduling an appointment, please feel free to reach out!

Old 08-05-2019, 04:13 AM
Darren Mcentire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Valdes
I have an 2009 and have had issues like this since the very first day.
It unlocks fine from the FOB sometimes and not so much sometimes.
I even have trouble with the door locking switches. They do not always lock the vehicle when exiting. Many times I have had to use the FOB or the door switches to get the doors to lock or to unlock.
I actually was so disappointed in my new truck back in 09, that I threw the FOB to the ground as hard as I could. I had gotten locked out several times in public with a brand new truck.
It (FOB) still works once I cleaned up the rough edges with my wifes nail file.
Its still a toss up if its going to work or not still to this very day.
First a couple questions,. Is the sensor blocked by aftermarket window tinting? Is the sensor eye functioning correctly...? I.e. possibly it has fallen into the dash a little...as some are assembled very quickly..check to see if it is screwed into the recepticle too far..I've had similar issues with a Chrysler automobile..two turns with a padded pair of pliers and not a seconds worth of trouble since...it was screwed too far into the socket..the sides of which blocked a significant portion of the radio frequency signal coming from the fob to activate /deactivate the locks and alarm...sometimes it would work from proper distances away from the car..others it would only partially work...or I would have to get very near the thing to activate the alarm...backed the little sensor eye on the dashboard off a couple turns raising it a centimeter or so higher..problem solved..I found the right hight and a drop of super glue made it stay adjusted..and for the past seven years it has needed no further attention from me..I had to change the battery in the key fobs a year ago..still working like a champ...good luck,
mate and cheer...

Old 08-05-2019, 11:49 AM
WESIDE
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is this sensor located at Darren?

Old 08-05-2019, 12:08 PM
outlawstorm
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i believe that sensor on the dash is,,, if it is the one in the middle close to base of windshield is the sensor for the auto headlights. I had problems with the locks on my 09 and after a year or so,, the dealer found it was a faulty reciever box under dash ,,, they swapped it and has worked great ever since.

Quick Reply: Door lock issue