Go Back   DodgeForum.com > General > Brand News, Concepts & Rumors
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

The Death of the American Pickup Truck?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 PM
DodgeForum Editor DodgeForum Editor is offline
DF Editor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 165
Default The Death of the American Pickup Truck?

Check out BadStratRT's homepage article refuting the premature declarations of the death of the American pickup truck. Do we really have anything to worry about? Or is the Dakota just the first in line for doomed pickups?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM
mantisman51's Avatar
mantisman51 mantisman51 is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1998 Ram 1500 QC Laramie 318 c.i.
Location: Miracle Valley, AZ
Posts: 1,602
Default

Most people are like me, I would assume. I have a medium size car that gets 30 mph and a Ram for the work I need to do.
__________________
John
"Sometimes adults are the biggest babies-WAAAAHHHHHHH"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2011, 05:57 PM
lxman1's Avatar
lxman1 lxman1 is offline
Multi-Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2008
Vehicle: 2008 QC Ram BigHorn Hemi
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 9,093
Send a message via AIM to lxman1
Default

Yep, a 30+ mpg hwy 09 Caliber to offset the 08 Hemi Ram.
__________________
2008 RAM 1500 Sunburst Orange BigHorn. 5.7L HEMI
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Cthulhu's Avatar
Cthulhu Cthulhu is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2006 Ram 3500 MegaCab Laramie
Location: Calgary
Posts: 686
Default

I take the bus to work and drive my ram 100% for personal. No second vehicle needed when your company provides you a bus to ride. My ram will reside as my primary vehicle for many years!
__________________

2006 - RAM 3500 Megacab Laramie - 5.9 CTD - K&N CAI - LightForce Driving Lights - KC LED Driving Lights - ReTrax Bed Cover - Inferno Red - Compustar Remote Start - Nasta Stainless Step Bars

Last edited by Cthulhu; 09-06-2011 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: mobile site steeling my signature!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-06-2011, 03:36 PM
DatsunLover DatsunLover is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Default

My RAM 1500 gets as good gas milege as my dads dakota, he wished he went full size....midsize trucks may be on way out???
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2011, 10:36 PM
lxman1's Avatar
lxman1 lxman1 is offline
Multi-Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2008
Vehicle: 2008 QC Ram BigHorn Hemi
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 9,093
Send a message via AIM to lxman1
Default

I drive my Hemi Ram 80 miles round trip a day. The wife drives the Caliber most days.
__________________
2008 RAM 1500 Sunburst Orange BigHorn. 5.7L HEMI
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Comrade General's Avatar
Comrade General Comrade General is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: washington
Posts: 514
XRG Kross VI
Default

Did I miss something? Are the Dakotas getting phased out?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM
mantisman51's Avatar
mantisman51 mantisman51 is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1998 Ram 1500 QC Laramie 318 c.i.
Location: Miracle Valley, AZ
Posts: 1,602
Default

Yep, it's dead. But they have been built on the Ram platform for the last couple generations. They have got too big and too little to distinguish them the Ram. Last year, in 2010, I posted sales prices for an identically equipped Ram and Dakota and the Ram was $2000 cheaper than the Dakota. I don't know what the marketing plan was for Dakota, but it wasn't good. One thing FIAT has said they have plans for, is a true compact pickup to replace the Dakota. If it's the size of the original compact pickups, and not overpriced, I think it'd be a winner.
__________________
John
"Sometimes adults are the biggest babies-WAAAAHHHHHHH"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Comrade General's Avatar
Comrade General Comrade General is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: washington
Posts: 514
XRG Kross VI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 View Post
Yep, it's dead. But they have been built on the Ram platform for the last couple generations. They have got too big and too little to distinguish them the Ram. Last year, in 2010, I posted sales prices for an identically equipped Ram and Dakota and the Ram was $2000 cheaper than the Dakota. I don't know what the marketing plan was for Dakota, but it wasn't good. One thing FIAT has said they have plans for, is a true compact pickup to replace the Dakota. If it's the size of the original compact pickups, and not overpriced, I think it'd be a winner.
ahh ok. yeah they were getting pretty big. I remember hearing that some of the Ford Ranger were actually more expensive than the f150s aswell even though the ranger hasnt really changed much over the years, which Is one reason the Ranger is my favorite small truck.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid 97 3.5 Intrepid is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Posts: 1,630
Default

The American truck is just fine, it is simple consolidation that is happening in all car segments. We have fewer car divisions because we don't need as much overlap and to a large degree, there was a lot of overlap between the DODGE Ram and the DODGE Dakota in the last years. I believe it is possible for their to be a place for the DODGE Dakota, they simply need to adjust their strategy. They need to offer a competitive I4 with at least a six speed standard, the Pentastar V6, and maybe a Hemi as an R/T package (a real R/T not what used to be the "ES" trim package that we call R/T), smooth the styling out like they did with the Durango and offer the a good interior. It basically needs to be downsized and (no offense to Dakota fans it is a good truck) make it look good as it did before they ruined the appearance in making it look like a Chevy during the Dumbler years.

The reason why the Ranger failed is the same reason why the Crown Vic failed, they ignored it way too long. The Ranger could still be relevant if they would give it a modern powertrain.

This in essence is what the problem was.
__________________
College Graduate
B.S. in Marketing
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 AM
89newbie 89newbie is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 89 4x4Dakota Sport, 94 4x4 ext cab
Location: Pa. now
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 3.5 Intrepid View Post
The American truck is just fine, it is simple consolidation that is happening in all car segments. We have fewer car divisions because we don't need as much overlap and to a large degree, there was a lot of overlap between the DODGE Ram and the DODGE Dakota in the last years. I believe it is possible for their to be a place for the DODGE Dakota, they simply need to adjust their strategy. They need to offer a competitive I4 with at least a six speed standard, the Pentastar V6, and maybe a Hemi as an R/T package (a real R/T not what used to be the "ES" trim package that we call R/T), smooth the styling out like they did with the Durango and offer the a good interior. It basically needs to be downsized and (no offense to Dakota fans it is a good truck) make it look good as it did before they ruined the appearance in making it look like a Chevy during the Dumbler years.

The reason why the Ranger failed is the same reason why the Crown Vic failed, they ignored it way too long. The Ranger could still be relevant if they would give it a modern powertrain.

This in essence is what the problem was.
Interesting comment on Ranger. As a former Ranger owner I watched the small changes in the truck and the shocking changes in the sticker.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 AM
mantisman51's Avatar
mantisman51 mantisman51 is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1998 Ram 1500 QC Laramie 318 c.i.
Location: Miracle Valley, AZ
Posts: 1,602
Default

I agree. The Ranger was/is still the best quality small pickup made. The Ford dealer in Tucson, where cars tend to be much less expensive, had base, stripper 4 cyl. Rangers for $18k. I hadn't priced them since the early 00's, so I was absolutely shocked! Last time I had looked at them was about 2002 and they had 20 or so strippers in Tucson for $8800. Ford and Chrysler don't want the "cheap" customers anymore. No more of those "Buy a new Escort or a new Ranger, your choice $7999" deals-I last saw it in the early 00's. No more "Buy a new Neon or Dakota for $8800". Now, I know this was 6-8 years ago, but it isn't that much more expensive to produce cars and trucks and they don't even have real "value" models anymore. Now a "value model" Hunchback er Caliber is one they throw a couple minor upgrades in and charge $17k for and the Dakotas? Forget touching one for under $18k and that would be a total stripper single cab and rubber on the floor but 25 other options to jack up the price. Pickups will be around as long as there are internal combustion engines. But they are now being marketed as luxury and commercial vehicles and finding any simple, cheap trucks that you can work with and actually afford is gone.
__________________
John
"Sometimes adults are the biggest babies-WAAAAHHHHHHH"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 AM
89newbie 89newbie is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 89 4x4Dakota Sport, 94 4x4 ext cab
Location: Pa. now
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 View Post
I agree. The Ranger was/is still the best quality small pickup made. The Ford dealer in Tucson, where cars tend to be much less expensive, had base, stripper 4 cyl. Rangers for $18k. I hadn't priced them since the early 00's, so I was absolutely shocked! Last time I had looked at them was about 2002 and they had 20 or so strippers in Tucson for $8800. Ford and Chrysler don't want the "cheap" customers anymore. No more of those "Buy a new Escort or a new Ranger, your choice $7999" deals-I last saw it in the early 00's. No more "Buy a new Neon or Dakota for $8800". Now, I know this was 6-8 years ago, but it isn't that much more expensive to produce cars and trucks and they don't even have real "value" models anymore. Now a "value model" Hunchback er Caliber is one they throw a couple minor upgrades in and charge $17k for and the Dakotas? Forget touching one for under $18k and that would be a total stripper single cab and rubber on the floor but 25 other options to jack up the price. Pickups will be around as long as there are internal combustion engines. But they are now being marketed as luxury and commercial vehicles and finding any simple, cheap trucks that you can work with and actually afford is gone.
Wow I should have gone west for a ranger. My 99 4 wheel drive 3.0 v-6 automatic and air without back doors cost 19500 then. I agree you used to be able to buy a work truck, too bad the manufacturers have realized if they dont offer cheaper trucks then we have to buy the higher priced ones!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 AM
joekool4's Avatar
joekool4 joekool4 is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1998 Ram 1500 Quadcab 2WD
Location: Winter Haven, FL
Posts: 206
Default

when it was time for me to get my first car I had been looking at early 90's daks because of the 4 cyl. My grandfather bought a brand new 04 ranger for 13K...Eventually i bout my ram for just under 8k. still have it 5 years and almost 100k miles later. But I drove the ranger for quite awhile and i liked it (other than the 4cyl and stepside bed, and no a/c). what ever size it is that little 4 banger's got some pep in first and second gear. I went to price one when gas was going way up and was thinkin about downsizing and for basically the same truck it was rediculous...even used (the only difference was fleet side bed and a/c, he's in PA and I'm in FL...A/C wasnt a choice) also looked at toyotas they were much better priced and looked almost exactly like the ranger and better equipped except the tundra those are overpriced, overrated and underpowered. I think if Fiat wants to keeps the "RAM" brand competative they need to be able to compete with the best selling midsized pickup, the TACO...or Hilux. and tune the 1500 a little better we should be getting more than 390 hp out of a 5.7L. european cars have huge HP numbers compared to displacement. and they have stricter emissions laws. I understand that truck engines are more about torque, but theres room for improvement there too. they should stop advertizing the HP #'s and just advertize the Ft.lbs.
__________________
1998 1500 QC 318ci 2wd- CAI, Jeg's Y-pipe with Catback Duals, 3in lift in front to level out the stock 4wd blocks in back, 10X17 pacer P185 baja rims with 33x12.5 falken A/Ts
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 AM
89newbie 89newbie is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 89 4x4Dakota Sport, 94 4x4 ext cab
Location: Pa. now
Posts: 635
Default

If they bring out a smaller truck that will be good. Build em better, to make them last. Dakotas were first built with metal coated to fight the chemicals used in the north. We were amaized when we moved back to Pa with the lack of older vehicles because rust ate them. LOL Talk about the Toyota, Ha ha ha, Toyota has not divulged the nomber of Tacomas they have taken back because of ruster out frames and these are newer trucks. Have a friend that towed a customers Tacoma to the lot for rusted trucks and he couldnt believe the number that there wereand that was only on lot.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 AM
 
 
 
Reply




Tags
american pickup, death

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails