Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Grand Caravan Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:25 PM
eduda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Grand Caravan Steering Issue

Have a high pitched whine whenever I start the van. Power steering is noisy (goans), but no loss in power steering steering. I have to top up the PS reservoir daily to make the sound go away. Any ideas out there? And I'm sure the PS pump is located in a most convenient spot for the do-it-yourselfer to repair.

Thanks to all in advane.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:24 PM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: 2001 Grand Caravan Steering Issue

A power steering pump will howl when the fluid is low or it is sucking in air. The pump may just be fine--you need to find where the fluid is leaking from. If you need to top it up every day, there should be lots of evidence where the leak is--it can be at the hoses or fittings, the rack itself or the pump. My guess is you may have a hose that has been rubbed through somewhere.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:21 PM
eduda

Where's the pump located though? Is it easy to get to so I can try to trace the leak?

Thanks again.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 AM
next2pool
Professional

"Where's the pump located though? Is it easy to get to so I can try to trace the leak? "

I don't know which engine you have but just follow the hose that runs from the remote reservoir--it will lead to the pump.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:43 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

The reservoir that is on the pump (not the reserve where you add fluid) are infamous for rusting out and leaking. From underneath on the passenger side at the rear/bottom near the steering rack. You can trace the hoses from the rack. Also look at your rack couplers where the tie-rods go into the rack. The seals sometimes leak there.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:29 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Raise the van up and look at the rack 'n' pinion on the driver's side, there you will find the plug leaking fluid onto the LDP pump. ( Leak Detection Pump ) this is part of the evap system. The only way to repair your leak is to replace the rack 'n' pinion and set the toe. And the P/S pump is next to the firewall on the passager side.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Walkman

Hey, sorry to ressurect the thread, but my father does have the same problem, he thinks that it's the hose going from the reservoir where you add fluid going to the pump. He can't change anything or go in a garage within the next days

My question is, if by, simply removing the pump belt, will it save the rack n pinion or it will simply help to add vibrations and whining nose and will cost him a pump and rack an pinion..

Is driving without any p/s fluid will damage the pump + Rack N Pinion ?

Thanks for helping

Old 07-28-2007, 07:00 PM
next2pool
Professional

Running the pump low on fluid will damage the pump, but not the steering rack. I'm not sure which engine he has but you probably don't have the luxury of pulling the belt since it runs everything else as well.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Walkman

Our van is a 3.3L basic caravan, so the power steering pump runs with main belt and not with a alternative belt.

So the only thing that will happens is that the pump will break, otherwise, he should be able to drive it without any problems

Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 AM
ducmons

Sorry to revive a thread from the dead.

How long would it take a mechanically inclined individual who knows nothing of dodge, to repalce rack n' pinion.

If PS pump is shot, how long to replace that one?

Thanks in advance.... and oh yes. Hi, I'm a new-b here.

Quick Reply: 2001 Grand Caravan Steering Issue