Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Tranny problem? 1999 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:45 PM
slodogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny problem? 1999 Caravan

I hope maybe someone here could give me some insight to this problem. I bought a 1999 Caravan with 125,000 miles on it. I drove it from mississippi to Virginia, and it had no problems. Seems when we got back home, while driving it around town and such, it would make a jerking feel, kinda feeling like the transmission was slipping out of gear. Sometimes this would occur alot during driving, and then sometimes not at all. I thought originally maybe cause the A/C was on this was causing the problem, but it does it when its off too. this has been going on now since we've bought it back in 2004. I just recently took it to a mechanic here, told him the problem, he drove it, said nothing was wrong with the transmission, he did a complete tune up on it, when i got it back and drove it about 30 miles it started doing this kinda jerking thing again, or 'slipping' feel. At one point it even stalled when i came up to a stop sign. And now its still doing it.

And like i said, the best i can describe it is, if feels like it goes in and out of gear. I also notice just this last time though, the RPMS dont change at all when it does it.
I hope someone could give me a little insight into this problem before i take it back to someone.

A friend of mine said it might be the torque converter, is this possible?

Thanks all

Old 05-30-2007, 03:20 AM
next2pool
Professional
Default RE: Tranny problem? 1999 Caravan

Initially this sounded like a torque convertor clutch issue, but you would see the RPM's change. Does it do this during very light throttle opening such as cruising in 4th at 50 to 70 mph? If so, it could be a throttle position sensor ar a MAF sensor.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:11 AM
slodogg

thanks for the reply. It happens at all speeds, alot of the time just starting off from a stop or coming up to a stop and other times it happens on the freeway with the cruise on and without it on, but id say most of the times its worse like driving around town.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:22 AM
emtwright

i have the same puoblem with my 99 it has 218,000 on it . it seems to do it after complet stopes almost like between 1 and 2 nd the rpms do shift up , my next door told me it is the trany sliping ??

Old 06-09-2007, 07:15 PM
jmanibusan

i have a similiar problem.after taking off my van (1992) would shift to 2nd gear then shift to the last gear. if i am going a slower pace it would do that. when i approach a stop sign it starts jerking,like it ain't down shifting or like it's trying to down shift..any ideas.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:12 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Can you tell me, if the ck engine lite is on? 1st to do is ck fluid level, if you are low ck for leaks. All front wheel drive transmissions leak from the front pump seal area, That also goes for the 42LE transmissions too. There are other places that leaks, but the main problem with high mileage. Your transmission maybe going into limp-in mode or fail safe. Which means you will only have 2nd gear. If you have a loss of prime code, gear ratio error in 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th. Its time for a overhual or replacement. If you end up replacing the trans, get a mopar reman. You get 3years or 36k warranty. And be sure to flush the cooler lines and replace if needed.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:45 AM
soccerchamp1

I have a 96 Dodge Grand Caravan LE that started to do the same thing some time ago. It would clunk around at the stop signs sometimes stalling. It did it for a week and stopped.
Exactly as you describe it , it feels like the engine is shutting off for a brief moment.
Now it doesn't run in gear. The engine idles fine in Park and Nuetral. I have been told that the Transmission Control Module produces no codes. Although the battery seemed to go bad and will not recharge.I have been also told that the transmission solenoid is the most likely culprit.

Question is? Where is the externalsolenoid on this 41TE four-speed automatictranny?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 PM
happyreefer

Same thing here, 1999 Grand Caravan 3.8L V-6. Same discription as above. I also feel this when I am cruising on the interstate and I step on the pedal to pass someone and feels more noticable when climbing a hill. As long as I do not mash the pedal I can usually get around with out feeling that sort of "miss the gear sound"

We need some answers here. anyone ever get anywhere with this common issue?

Gary

Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You maybe going to fast to go into passing gear.thats if you are going over 70mph. Your 3.8L van, does it have an AWD drive train? But any how you need to cover the basic, Fluid level, any codes, and have the CVI 's ck. There are specs for the CVI. and do a clutch test too. If you need the CVI specs, just send a pm.

Quick Reply: Tranny problem? 1999 Caravan