Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan sliding door question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 PM
dfk70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Grand Caravan sliding door question

Hi all,

Just took home a very nice 2008 Grand Caravan on Saturday but have a question about the sliding doors. On some of the models we checked out, a quick tug on the handle would open the door but on the one we got, if you pull the handle, the motor doesn't open the door but the door opens and closes automatically with the remote and with the buttons inside. Is there a way I can make mine slide open automatically with a pull of the handle?

Thanks.

Dave

Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 PM
ghlkal

Are you saying the door won't open manually?

Once open, can you close the door manually?

Old 01-27-2009, 12:17 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I belive dave saying is, when he pull on the sliding door handle to open. The motor doesn't take over to open the door the rest of the way. Dave you can only open the doors with the remote or buttons inside the van, You also notice the 4way flasher blink when the sliding doors open. This is normal.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:51 AM
dfk70

Thanks master tech. I could have sworn, though, that other Caravans we checked out would do that. Maybe I'm confusing them with Toyota.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:02 PM
ghlkal
Question no manual operation

Originally Posted by master tech
you can only open the doors with the remote or buttons inside the van
On the '08+ you can't _manually_ open the sliding doors?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 AM
dfk70

You can manually open the doors. I was just asking if I pulled the handle and didn't manually pull the door open if the motor would continue to open the door.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:41 PM
aspitaletto

my 09' you can just give the handle a tug outward, and it will open.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
08GrandVan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face 08 Caravan sliding door problem

When the temp hit 10 degrees, I opened my 08 caravan drivers side manual sliding door. It stuck a little but with a slight pull the door opened. The door has not closed properly since. It latches but stays popped about 1/2 to 3/4 inches open. I can push in into the closed position but nothing catches and it bounces back to the popped position. Interior lights stay on and the dash indicate an open door. Dealer wants $100.00 just to look at it than of course parts and labor to repair. Does anyone have an idea on what I can do to fix?

The following users liked this post:
Nick Seabasty (02-14-2021)
Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 08GrandVan
When the temp hit 10 degrees, I opened my 08 caravan drivers side manual sliding door. It stuck a little but with a slight pull the door opened. The door has not closed properly since. It latches but stays popped about 1/2 to 3/4 inches open. I can push in into the closed position but nothing catches and it bounces back to the popped position. Interior lights stay on and the dash indicate an open door. Dealer wants $100.00 just to look at it than of course parts and labor to repair. Does anyone have an idea on what I can do to fix?
Take it back in and tell them to do the K-14 Recall on the door wiring harnesses. The point of contact IF they're damaged is at close when the hinge rubs (on some of them) the wiring harness. Sometimes they cut the wires or chafe them and cause a short or an open. If they won't at least take a peek at it in the lane then go somewhere else. I'm all for checkout charge under normal circumstances but....this door wiring thing is a known problem.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-16-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 08GrandVan
You might have mis-aligned or f-ed up the latch.
Try close the latch with a screw driver, see if it latch properly. And try some WD-40, compare it to the other door. If the latch works fine,hook on the body side for mis-alignment. Also check the sliding door hinge at the bottom of the door, sometimes bolts gets loose down there and jam the door. Use the other "good door" as a reference.

I think the minivan has a latch in front and back for each door, check both. And if you do end up needing a latch, they are pain in the *** to replace...

yeah, i recommend you to take it to someone else too. If it is something that takes 2 minute to look at and figure out what's wrong, i hate to charge ppl $100 for it.

Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan sliding door question