Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 Caravan antifreeze leaking - heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:39 AM
jonphilip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Caravan antifreeze leaking - heater core?

hi, I have 97 Caravan and today I noticed a big puddle of anti-freeze on the drive. After popping the hood, I noticed the anti-freeze was coming out of the drain tube that protrudes through the firewall on the left side. I've been researching this today on Google but can't find a conclusive answer as to what would cause it to leak from the drain tube. There is no anti-freeze inside the van, and I don't notice any smell of anti-freeze when running the heater. The heater doesn't work very well and hasn't for several years. It gets warm but not hot. I'm wondering if it is a bad heater core, but everything I read about heater cores failing indicate it should be leaking inside the van, which it's not. Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, JonPhilip

Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Before making any repairs, do a cooling system pressure test. And then see if the coolant/water is coming out of the tube.If the heater core is the problem, the dash would need to be remove to remove the heater box assy.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 PM
jonphilip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, thanks for the welcome and response. I will take your advice and have a pressure test done. can you tell what's on the other end of the drain tube when it goes into the firewall? I'm curious as to the purpose of the drain? is it for the heater core or does it serve another function? thanks... jonphilip

Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Its for the a/c, to let condensation drain out.

Quick Reply: 97 Caravan antifreeze leaking - heater core?