Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 4.0l stalling issue ever fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:25 AM
davidjs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2010 4.0l stalling issue ever fixed?

Hi - First, I just wanted to say this is the most helpful site I could find discussing the stalling issue (2010 Grand caravan with the 4.0l), it's good to know we aren't alone (since our dealership has acted like we're crazy)!

I know there were several people on here with the issue, has anyone's been successfully fixed by the dealership?

With no error code and they haven't been able to replicate the issue (driving around the parking lot!), they seem to feel like it isn't a big deal. They flashed the PCM and claimed it was ready to be picked up (I didn't get the update number they did, going to try and get that today), but since they have no idea what caused the problem, I feel like they're just trying to get us to pick it up again.

We are not going to pick it up and have my wife drive our kids around in it until we are comfortable that they actually have identified and fixed the issue (they got our lemon law notice letter on Friday, which was when they magically decided the PCM update would fix the problem).

So, in short - has anyone with the stalling issue's vehicle actually been cured? And by what?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
gorsuchcaravan
Amateur

davidjs, in short for my answer....NO!! we ended up with the same thing...multiple stalls at variable times, locations and conditions...8 times to be precise. We have had the PCM updated multiple times, and yes as we were investigating the lemon law the dealership began to play games such as running one claim and leaving it open and allowing them to run it into the next time we brought it in so it looked like we were only in once or twice. Also magically on the last chance at the lemon law they decided to replace the wireless control module. They claimed that chrysler suggested that it could be that our keys were intermittently loosing connection with the system. We have not had a stall issue since 2 weeks before the repair, however ours stalled only during the really hot months of the year, but as you said in your post no codes were left and they could not replicate. but in the meanwhile we also have had a oil leak issue and also had to have the rear brakes and rotors replaced due to warped rotors and bad brake linings. We were given the option to give up our brand new van for an auction bought vehicle since we felt unsafe in ours, and do an "even" swap, but its been almost 3 months and they have yet to find a van that has the built in window shades. I think they have an issue that they can not track down yet and is just throwin ideas out until something works...at this point i wish we would have tried harder in looking at a honda!!! let us knwo if you get anywhere b/c we are at our wits end.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

mine 9900+km not stall yet. hope not. put report to nhsta about it. but read someone say could be key module issues.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:35 PM
davidjs

Thanks for your input. Virginia actually has a pretty consumer-friendly lemon law, so if they can't fix it I shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Oddly enough ours only started when it got cold, (bought it in May, first happened ~6000 miles in Nov)

Well, if we get ours bought back, I'll tell you where it is w/ the shades - at least we've only had the stalling issue!

Does the Routan have the same key design/module? There are a fair number of routans reported at the NHTSA website as well, so it's something common to the GC, T&C AND routan.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 PM
JETwagen
Amateur

The Routan only differs by appearance and touch items such as dash, seats, front and rear facia. The suspension was also tweaked for VW. All other mechanical and electrical items are shared with the Caravan and T&C. I bought the Routan because I wanted the more comfortable seats and I got over $7k off the sticker price (and the wife liked the look better, can't say I disagree). I gave up Stow-n-Go (because of the thicker seats) and ambient lighting which were not made available to VW.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 AM
davidjs

Hmmm, now the dealership is attempting to blame it on interference from a GPS unit (huh?), driving under electrical lines (I'm sorry, didn't see that in the manual) and too many keys. (My wife has 3 or 4 keys and a few of those plastic tags - not exactly a janitor's keychain).

I asked about the WCM ala http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...ction.../page4 or http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...control+module , but he said they had been talking to Chrysler, and had nothing official on that.

(They had checked for the wires rubbing by the Thermostat housing)
So the end result was "maybe flashing all of the modules to the newest software magically fixed your problem".

It's really amazing that because it's not storing a code, they feel like they have NO WAY of diagnosing a problem.

Last edited by davidjs; 12-14-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:20 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

dibt give up. they like to do this and most are allowing them to do it that they getting aways with it. in general to all warranties and products sold today. i think if you paid for something you take it that it should be good.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Did the GPS come with the van? If it did, what are they smoking. If you have a problem with a dealer call the customer service center and raise hell. 1-800-992-1997

Old 04-09-2011, 04:59 PM
PaulCarneyJr
Lightbulb Stalling is most likely the key

We just picked up a used 2010 Grand Caravan and have noticed that it stalls on us, too, and I can replicate it.

When you turn on the vehicle, notice if the key sticks in the "start" position. I find that ours does many times. You can actually get it to stay there by holding it there once the vehicle is started. Then, just tap the key and it will jump past "on" and land directly on "acc" - which will turn off the vehicle.

If you turn the vehicle on, and make sure the key moves to the "on" location, you can yank on the key all you want and it will not do anything.

But if it sticks in "start", tapping it will make it jump to "acc". I have notified Dodge so that they can let others know that this is happening. Can others duplicate?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
If you still have warranty on the van, I would get it into the dealer and have them road test with you.

Quick Reply: 2010 4.0l stalling issue ever fixed?