Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Replacing heater core in 94 Van

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM
musicfeind2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing heater core in 94 Van

I need some help/advice on how to replace my heater core... here's the situation:
So I over heated the engine due to a burst coolant hose months ago, made repairs and everything is great now, except that I noticed I'm loosing coolant. As time progressed I came to notice a film on the interior or my windows, and my heat working less and less. So my heater core is damaged: coolant dripping in the cabin under the dash. Ok, so I've bought the heater core and I'm tearing my dash apart one screw at a time.

Where I'm at right now: I've gotten all the dashboard panels off except the one with the Air Bag behind it, I couldn't figure out how to pull it off around the air bag, or remove the air bag. If that needs to come off, I could use some advice on that too.
I'm looking at some metal framework held together by bolts. I see the vents/ducts behind them, and small puddles of anti-freeze here and there.
Some resources I've found say the heater core would be located directly behind the glove compartment, other say it's directly behind the instrument cluster.
Frankly, my skill set is with the mechanical parts. I changed the water pump, thermostat and hoses (yes had to set the timing even) but when it comes to the insides of the vehicle, I can change a radio or a bulb and that's it! I'm not entirely sure what to take off next, and rather than dismantle things unnecessarily, I thought I'd seek assistance. I hate paying someone to work on my vehicle for me, not to mention I don't have money for that anyway.
If you have links to pictures/diagrams that'd be nice too.
Your assistance is appreciated!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't cut and paste for this old, I'll have to type it out.........someone owes me a beer for this

INSTRUMENT PANEL REMOVAL

(1) Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Bezel Removal
(2) Refer to lower right instrument panel removal
(3) Remove lower left instrument panel silencer
(4) Remove steering column cover, Set parking brake and shift gear selector into low.
(5) Remove lower left reinforcement
(6) Disconnect transmission range indicator at column
(a) Unhook transmission range indicator cable eyelet from column actuating arm
(b) Release column insert lock tab.
(c) Squeeze legs together and lift insert from steering column, leave insert free.
(d) Place cable on instrument panel to avoid transmission range indicator cable damage during removal
(7) Remove steering column
(8) Remove lower right instrument panel silencer
(9) Remove premium console or module cover (air bag module)
(10) Remove floor braces
(11) Remove A-pillar, intermediate and sill scuff garnish moldings
(12) Unfasten the hood release mechanism from the side cowl
(13) Disconnect the brake light switch, parking brake switch and bulk head wiring connectors
(14) Under the hood disconnect the ABS connector and resistor block. Unseat the grommet at the dash panel and feed wiring back into passenger compartment.
(15) Remove the two nuts securing the instrument panel, at the steering column support brace.
(16) Loosen the instrument panel roll up bolts (bottom corners by kick panel)
(17) Remove the six screws securing the instrument panel at the fence line (by windshield)
(18) Roll the instrument panel back and hang it from the short position of the roll up hook.
(19) With instrument panel hanging in the short position disconnect the left side body wiring connections.
(20) Roll the instrument panel to the long position on the roll up hook and perform the following operations:
(a) Disconnect the antenna cable
(b) Disconnect the blower motor lead connection
(c) Disconnect the temerature cantrol cable from the A/C or heater control
(d) Disconnect the vacuum lines from the climate control assembly
(e) Disconnect the right side body wiring connectors
(21) Remove instrument panel from the vehicle

Old 03-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

I don't have any pics so any questions, let me know, I'll try and explain.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM
musicfeind2001
Red face

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
(7) Remove steering column
Really?!
Ok, so according to your instructions, and what I feared, the heater core is more or less in the center of the dash.
Some of the metal brackets I'm looking at need to come out as well.
I can't send a beer through the forum, but I definetly would! Thanks ALOT for the instructions.

Edit: I just noticed the end says "remove instrument panel from the vehicle.
What about removing the heater core? There must be more to do, I've all but got the cluster out already, just left the shifter cable attached.

Last edited by musicfeind2001; 03-09-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

look at the lines in the engine compartment, the heater core is directly behind. I assumed you'd be able to remove the hvac housing once the dash is out. The instrument panel basically comes out in one big piece minus the column.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Put the beer on my tab!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

mmmmmmmmm, beer. I'd do the heater core in my driveway for a case.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:45 PM
musicfeind2001

I didn't realize that the dash rolled forward to the seats. That would have been some very valuable information. But once I found the two bolts tucked up behind the steering column and undid those, I followed the natural movement of the dash to two bolts on both sides towards the floor. With those loosened, the dash slid forward making the HVAC box accessable.
I removed the AC connecting line (AC didn't work anyway, luckily there was no freon left!) and I was able to lift it all out.
I used the garden hose to flood the heater core with water and sure enough it leaked pretty badly. Swapped in the new(?) unit in. I also tested the evaporator core (is that what it's called) to make sure that didn't need replaced, since everyone says replace them together to save the hassle! but it didn't leak. I drained it pretty good before putting everything back together.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

you didn't put water in the evaperator coil did you? That would not be good if you have any hopes of getting the a/c working again.

And that's what step 18 meant when it said roll the instrument panel back

Quick Reply: Replacing heater core in 94 Van