Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Vans & CUVs > Dodge Caravan
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2007 Caravan making whining noises

Old 05-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 2007 Caravan making whining noises

My Caravan recently starting making whining noises after driving for a long distance on the highway. I first hear the noise when I am exiting on the highway then eventually goes away. When you turn the car off and back on it doesnt come back. I dont have the problem when driving at lower speeds only when driving on the highway for long distances. I can't recreate the problem to show the mechanic what is happening. Anyone have an idea what it might be?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Multi-section Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: Mits P/U , Dodge avenger(1996) .
Leonard Pierce

Welcome to DF
It could be one of two problems. 1st power steering pump and reservoir, 2nd the transfer gear whine. My guess would be the first one.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 caravan sport

I had a 2007 that did the exact same thing... I figured it was the power steering pump as the whine got louder as you turned the wheels.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for your help! It ended up being power steering and fluid was leaking. They told us we need to replace the pump and also replace the coolent lines and rack and pinion. Fortunately we have an extended warranty so it covered the repairs.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Veteran
2005 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 05 1500 2wd 4.7 6 spd, 83 ramcharger, 03 neon, 1931 Ford AA, 2000 chrysler G/V

If it happens again after your warranty runs out, don't worry about replacing the pump too fast. We have an 06 caravan 3.3 that started the power steering whine at 96,000 miles, and it now has 188,000 and hasnt gotten any worse. Just another Dodge "I'ts not totally broken, so why do you think it's a problem?" moment. That is the usual response from the dealer when you get close to warranty.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I know this thread is 6 months old but sice we bought our 07 caravan in 08 it has always whined on long trips and here and there. But today it started making a very loud whine. Not belts or pullies. Sounds like its coming from around the center of motor around the intake? Its very loud. Wife says she can feel it in gas pedal and gets louder on acceleration. Any ideas? Going to try and pin point tomorrow. Used to working on my ls1 trans am and enjoy it but on my mini van actually feels like work lol. Any help is appreciated
Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Amateur
Garage is empty, add now

Default power steering whine

In 90% of cases it will be the ps reservoir that is the problem . The screen in the bottom gets clogged and restricts flow causing the noise. The part is $30 or less , replace and noise will be gone . Try this before having anyone talk you into a $300 ps pump or even a rack .
Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I fixed the problem today. It was the decoupler pulley on the alternator. I just replaced the whole thing. No more whine. But yes our ps always whines also.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 PM