Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2007 Dodge Caravan Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:48 AM
rxv2562
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Dodge Caravan Electrical Issues

Hi There,
I purchased a 07 Dodge caravan in Jan 2010 and the car has been a loyal friend with little maintenance until yesterday.

When i turned on my car last night i noticed that the front wipers , CD player , car horn , front headlights do not work. Also the passenger and driver seat belt sign is constantly on and beeping and the driver side air bag notification sign on the computer dashboard is flashing.

The rear wipers works now and then when i turn it on.

Anybody else with same problem before ? Is this sign of a major electrical issue ? I took it to a local pep boys and they did a $40 inspection and told me they have no idea what is going on and would need to do a electrical diagnostics.

They refunded the $40 cost. Do i need a electrical diagnostics ? Any help please !

Old 06-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of those functions and more are controlled by the Front Control Module (FCM) and the PCI data bus. Try resetting it by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 2-3 minutes. If that does nothing you can try a wiggle test on the IPM (fuse box) connections on the bottom and see if anything comes alive. Still nothing? Disconnect the negative battery cable then disconnect the IPM connections and remove the FCM. The FCM is that silver box mounted on the front of the IPM. Look for any evidense of corrosion and clean the contacts with contact cleaner. You could try ever so slightly twisting the spade contacts on the FCM to make better contact. If none of that helps remove the IPM and inspect the internal circuit board for corrosion. If it's there replace the IPM. Corrosion and poor contact are known issues with the IPM/FCM.

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-25-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Try removing the battery cable for sometime. The front control module may have locked up. You can also remove the front control module and clean the connections, and plug the FCM back in and recheck.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:49 PM
rxv2562
Default Follow up

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

If if need to take this to a mechanic for repairs what is the likely cost i am expected to bear ?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Based on a two hour look see at an $80 clock hour and $100 for a scan probably around $250 minimum. Add parts to that and you could be bumping a grand or more. Sure you can't at least disconnect the battery as described?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 PM
rxv2562

Disconnecting the battery didnt help. Took it to a mechanic shop and replaced FCM. Cost me like $650 with parts and labor. While most of the electrical issue was resolved the mechanic told me not to turn the A/C on cause my PCM : Power Control Module is busted. He said this is covered under emissions warranty and requested me to visit a dealer to place a order. I did so , and they are expecting to get it in like 10 business days as there is a national back log.

Does the PCM have anything to do with A/C ? When i turn the A/C i can feel air blowing normally and gets cold. But the mechanic and dealer said even though its working fine i might end up leaking freon and might over heat the engine also. Really ?

Also since these electrical issues started happening when i go from reverse to driving mode i feel a big jolt on the gas pedal and it feels like i stepped over a big rock or something. The dealer said once they install the new PCM and calibrate it , its likely the issue will also go away.

Anybody any help ?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:09 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rxv2562
Disconnecting the battery didnt help. Took it to a mechanic shop and replaced FCM. Cost me like $650 with parts and labor. While most of the electrical issue was resolved the mechanic told me not to turn the A/C on cause my PCM : Power Control Module is busted. He said this is covered under emissions warranty and requested me to visit a dealer to place a order. I did so , and they are expecting to get it in like 10 business days as there is a national back log.

Does the PCM have anything to do with A/C ? When i turn the A/C i can feel air blowing normally and gets cold. But the mechanic and dealer said even though its working fine i might end up leaking freon and might over heat the engine also. Really ?

Also since these electrical issues started happening when i go from reverse to driving mode i feel a big jolt on the gas pedal and it feels like i stepped over a big rock or something. The dealer said once they install the new PCM and calibrate it , its likely the issue will also go away.

Anybody any help ?
IF your AC is working fine, the dealer has no business replacing your PCM. If they're lucky it won't get charged back to them. This is one of the reasons cars cost so much today.

Just a note....leaking freon has NEVER made ANY car overheat. That is unless it spews AC oil all over the belt and makes it slip over the water pump pulley...fat chance though. Even in the land of unicorns and talking sunflowers. One of 2 things is happening here. You have misinterpreted what they told you...or (the likely cause)they are flaming idiots. I am basing this on the freon comment..lol

Second...there is no real PCM calibration that a tech can do. They can install or update software, reset memory etc, but nothing else different from the previous PCM will be in there. There is no amazing electrical re-engineering machine we have access to.

Another thing...as you've just learned...independent shops will OFTEN reference some service bulletin, recall or possible warranty and send you to the dealer when they have no freakin clue what they're doing. In some cases after relieving you of several hundred dollars of your hard earned money. You were fortunate. However, you did do your research here before you went off galloping over the countryside. And for that I give you a high 5.

While you're at the dealer see if there is a BCM update available for your van. If there is, get it done.

Oh yes...I forgot. The PCM does control the AC. Short version...It reads various system inputs then grounds the AC clutch relay.

Last edited by TNtech; 06-29-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

Decided to join up on some Dodge forum been on for awhile just had hands full with the Chrysler side stretching out to thin ya know.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:35 PM
rxv2562

Thanks. Ever since these electrical issues started happening another thing i notice is while going from reverse to drive mode i feel a big jerk ( the kinda feeling you get when you change gears manually the bad way ).

Is this related to the PCM not functioning properly as this related to the power train module ?

Thanks !

Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) controls your transmission. On your 07 the TCM is combined as a single unit with the PCM. This combination unit is still refered to by Chrysler as the PCM. Sooo...changing the PCM will also change the TCM.

As for your mechanics statement regarding the PCM A/C issue, I just don't see the logic. If you can ask them to explain it in detail.

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-29-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Dodge Caravan Electrical Issues