Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: ABS Speed Sensor failure, detect which?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:00 PM
tjnc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Speed Sensor failure, detect which?

I need to know how to detect which ABS speed sensor has failed. ABS light is on and the sensors are $100 each..

Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You need a scanner that can read the codes in the ABS module. That will let you know which sensor you having a circuit problem.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 PM
djbucky3
Captain

You can go down to autozone, napa, any auto parts place mostly.. and "rent" a scanner for 90 days. You pay full price for it when you pick it up and they refund everything when you drop it off.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 PM
T-Ram
Rookie

Check the wiring closely and if it looks fine clean the sensor before replacing it-grab a 22 Lr and let sum frustration out on this bunny!

Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by master tech
You need a scanner that can read the codes in the ABS module. That will let you know which sensor you having a circuit problem.
Yeah I've actually been looking for a scanner that does ECM, TCM, BCM, and has profiles for Mopar that will show specifics. The Advance scanner only pulled up some transmission code I already knew were there just temp fixed with Lucas..

I've also tried a lot of cheap USB and standalone OBD II scanners, they detect nothing.

Originally Posted by djbucky3
You can go down to autozone, napa, any auto parts place mostly.. and "rent" a scanner for 90 days. You pay full price for it when you pick it up and they refund everything when you drop it off.
I've already used them, they don't show BCM or TCM codes, only extremely generic ECM.

Originally Posted by T-Ram
Check the wiring closely and if it looks fine clean the sensor before replacing it-grab a 22 Lr and let sum frustration out on this bunny!
Yeah this is probably the best I can do if I can't find a working scanner. Problem is I know they are all just molded wiring with a sealed electromagnet at the end..

For what they cost it'd feel weird shooting or blowing them up, you can almost buy a diamond ring just for what one costs..

Old 04-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read you can measure and compare the resistance through the sensors. If one stands apart change it.

Last edited by Cougar41; 04-23-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't say which year you have so I took a guess when I looked at Rock Auto and for a 2006, the sensors were anywhere from $15 to 50.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 PM
tjnc
Professional

Originally Posted by mfahey
You didn't say which year you have so I took a guess when I looked at Rock Auto and for a 2006, the sensors were anywhere from $15 to 50.
'98 SE 3.0. The cheapest at any parts house is $96 a piece and they average $115.. That's NAPA, Advance, Oreilly, CarQuest, Autozone.

You just demonstrated yet another reason 3rd gen should be avoided like the plague..

Resistance sounds like the smartest solution if you don't have a high end scanner to find which failed. I'll go with that and report back the working ohm and broken ohm and continuity.. I might try to go on saving by pulling the part from a parts van when I find which failed..

Last edited by tjnc; 04-23-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:13 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

With a scanner the shows all the wheel speed sensor's and if you drove the vehicle, can you read RPM from all the sensors? Which ever sensor is reading zero, while you are driving is a dead sensor. If all the sensors are reading, then you may have a module problem.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM
tjnc
Professional

I guess it's going to take a scanner. My multimeter showed no continuity or resistance on any of the sensors from the connector side.. I'm guessing this has to do with some magnet design(spoke on drum assembly pulls sensitive magnet which closes circuit)?

Last edited by tjnc; 04-24-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: ABS Speed Sensor failure, detect which?