Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Timing belt problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 PM
damoldyank
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt problems

Hi folks, I've got me a bit of a problem. I put a new timing belt in my 2001 Dodge Caravan 2.4 L engine. I checked doubled checked and triple checked the timing marks before I put it back together, but when it's all back together it won't start. I pulled plug number one, upper timing belt cover, put cylinder at top dead center and the timing marks were right on the money. I have sparked to all 4 plugs. All the injectors are working fine. Now if this was on an old distributor model engine I would think that I had set it on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke. Can I do the same thing on the engines with just coils? If I can, do I have to tear it all back down turned the crank one revolution and put the belt back on? I think I'm just getting too old for this junk. Have a great day and thanks ahead for any help.

Damn old yank

Old 08-06-2014, 12:44 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Pm me a email and I'll send you a picture on how the timing belt should look.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:26 PM
damoldyank

Hi folks and thank you Master Tech for the information. Well I tore it back down to where I could see the timing mark on the crank sprocket and the timing was right on. Put it all back together and still no start. Rechecked the spark and fuel and they're just fine. Please, can someone help me with this. Mama is telling me to get rid of the yard art. Thanks a lot and have a great day. Damn old yank him

Old 08-10-2014, 06:27 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Remove the spark plugs and see if the plugs are soaked with fuel. If they are, replace them.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:46 PM
damoldyank

Thanks DMT, I pulled the plugs and their were not wet but I could smell gas on them. I put them back on the wires and grounded them and they were all firing. These are all new plugs. I've tried using starter fluid but it won't fire with that either. I pulled the fuel rail and all the injectors seem to be spraying fine. Compression is good on all the cylinder. Please don't tell me I'm looking at a bad computer. This is taken me so long that I went out and bought another van. 2002 Dodge Caravan 3.3 L engine.Thanks for your time. I still need to get this darn thing going. I don't need another anchor for my boat. Have a great day. Damn old yank

Old 08-10-2014, 11:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

If you have a scanner, you can check the crank and cam sensor's to see if they are in sync. Did you check to see if you are having any codes?

Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 PM
damoldyank

Hi, I ran a scan and only came up with one code p0601. That's the code for the PCM internals. But I've had this code since I bought the car with 80,000 miles on it and it now has 117,000 miles. When I first got the van I checked on the form about this and I was told that if it's not broke don't fix, as long as it runs okay go ahead and run it. Well it's not running okay. Does I'm still hoping it's not the PCM. My scanner didn't code anything for the crank sensor or cam sensor. If they were out of sync how would I know? How would you put them in sync? I tried a new cam sensor and that didn't do anything. Somewhere on this forum it said that if you have fire and fuel that the crank sensor was all right. Is that correct or do I need to get a new crank sensor? Thanks for the help. Damn old yank

Old 08-13-2014, 12:37 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

That is true, If you have compression, fuel and spark. And the only code you have is P0601 for an internal PCM fault. Then I would guess the PCM has failed.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:38 AM
damoldyank

best place to buy a PCM? I'm selling the van when it's running so I need reman. if possible . Thanks DOY

Old 08-13-2014, 01:54 PM
mattd860
Rookie

Originally Posted by damoldyank
best place to buy a PCM? I'm selling the van when it's running so I need reman. if possible . Thanks DOY
ebay.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Timing belt problems