Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Intermittent Stall 97 Grand Caravan 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 10:30 AM
mcasdorph
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Stall 97 Grand Caravan 3.8L

I have a intermittent stalling issue, just up and quits when it wants too, but not more than twice per driving cycle, roughly 3-4 hours a day. (if that makes any sense..lol).

2 Car Pro's mentioned possibly compression or Vacuum, I think not on the compression, because it runs fine otherwise and for long periods, and theoretically thinking if it was compression it would run like crap or not at all. The motor runs smooth. There were some broke Vacuum lines that I repaired, didn't help.

An employee at autozone said possibly the fuel filter, I changed that and it still done the stall, it did need changed tho, it was restrictive when blowing through it, I did wonder it maybe fuel system cleaner would help?

Done wiggle test on Relays/Fuses, wiggle test on plug wires, coil connectors, nothing replicated the stall. I also replaced the plugs last month, so those are good.

I cleaned the IAC a while back and that didn't help the stall issue.

Anyone else have any ideas? I also checked the fuel pressure and it was 41 lbs before I changed the filter.

Also No engine codes were found. but there is a slightly cracked ground cable end on the battery but it stays tight so I haven't replaced it.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should see 49 psi from the pump.

Cam and crank sensors are infamous for causing "out of the blue" stalling without throwing a code. They are relatively inexpensive.

Ignition coils are known to fail as they heat up.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:40 PM
mcasdorph

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Should see 49 psi from the pump.

Cam and crank sensors are infamous for causing "out of the blue" stalling without throwing a code. They are relatively inexpensive.

Ignition coils are known to fail as they heat up.
Thanks for the response, I rechecked the fuel pressure pressure, it was a little higher at around 45 lbs this time around, but I thought the pressure seemed to be trickling back down extremely slow, With further reading a Dodge tech on another site told someone else that there could be a injector leak, fuel pump issue or pressure regulator. I can rule out fuel injectors because there is no gas smell anywhere on the motor, I'm wondering about the regulator, maybe you can either confirm or correct me on this, Does the regulator do 2 things? Does it hold the pressure while keyed off? Or does it just keep the pressure from being too high when running?

Old 08-17-2015, 11:06 AM
mgoma99

I have a Dodge Caravan 1997 3.0 Ltr, It started to stall out when I slow down. A mechanic friend took it for a spin, and He pointed out that it is the TPS sensor. I brought a couple of used TPS sensors and tried one of them. The stalling is still hapening, I will try the other used sensor soon. I unplugged the TPS wires and the car drove much better, with a little of white smoke and a little rough idle, with a check ingine light on, of course.

I read on this forum and on youtube, that somebody had the stalling issue and it went away after He replaced/cleaned the EGR Valve. Others on youytube advise to replace the MAP sensor.

What do you guys think? Thanks

Last edited by mgoma99; 08-17-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcasdorph
Thanks for the response, I rechecked the fuel pressure pressure, it was a little higher at around 45 lbs this time around, but I thought the pressure seemed to be trickling back down extremely slow, With further reading a Dodge tech on another site told someone else that there could be a injector leak, fuel pump issue or pressure regulator. I can rule out fuel injectors because there is no gas smell anywhere on the motor, I'm wondering about the regulator, maybe you can either confirm or correct me on this, Does the regulator do 2 things? Does it hold the pressure while keyed off? Or does it just keep the pressure from being too high when running?
Both. It is a mechanical device utilized with engine running or off.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:39 PM
mcasdorph

Originally Posted by mgoma99
I have a Dodge Caravan 1997 3.0 Ltr, It started to stall out when I slow down. A mechanic friend took it for a spin, and He pointed out that it is the TPS sensor. I brought a couple of used TPS sensors and tried one of them. The stalling is still hapening, I will try the other used sensor soon. I unplugged the TPS wires and the car drove much better, with a little of white smoke and a little rough idle, with a check ingine light on, of course.

I read on this forum and on youtube, that somebody had the stalling issue and it went away after He replaced/cleaned the EGR Valve. Others on youytube advise to replace the MAP sensor.

What do you guys think? Thanks
I think I did try to clean the EGR valve as well. I can't remember..lol, but if I did it didn't help. MAP sensor symptoms I looked up aren't quite the same as what is happening here. Do you have any issues with Fuel pressure too with yours?

Originally Posted by Cougar41
Both. It is a mechanical device utilized with engine running or off.
I'm thinking if that regulator does both, that may an issue that could likely be the problem, if it trickled its apparently not holding the pressure, which may be why its not even able to reach the 49psi. The regulator w/ O-ring at Advance and Autozone are both $94.99, Rockauto has them for $72.99, I may try that, I just hate to have to drop the tank :/..lol

I did last Summer on an old Buick, went to change the pump when it wasn't the problem, the fuel filter was clogged so I dropped the tank for nothing.. What that was, you couldn't hear the pump which is obviously why I thought it was dead then.

But hopefully this will fix the intermittent stall on the Caravan.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I would wiggle the wires at the crank sensor and the cam sensor. You may have a chaff wire some where that is causing the vehicle to stall. Do you get any codes when it start too or stalls?

Old 08-18-2015, 12:17 AM
mgoma99

Originally Posted by master tech
I would wiggle the wires at the crank sensor and the cam sensor. You may have a chaff wire some where that is causing the vehicle to stall. Do you get any codes when it start too or stalls?
Are there a web site, for individuals, that helps locating parts, that would be of a great help. I do not know how to locate many sensors; like the cam sensor of crank sensor,EGR valve etc...

Last edited by mgoma99; 08-18-2015 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM
mcasdorph

Originally Posted by master tech
No important codes, I get a P0420 that comes and goes

EDIT: I've done a wiggle test on relays, fuses, coil pack connection, plug wires, injectors, nothing has killed it, I was thinking of doing the wiggle test on fuel pump connector since I never have, so I've probably do them later today. I done ordered the pressure regulator

Last edited by mcasdorph; 08-18-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Check the wire harness between the front motor mount and is the harness oil soaked? That would be near the starter. I have seen some wiring problems there. P0420 is a exhaust cat code. That would cause lack of power if plugged.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Intermittent Stall 97 Grand Caravan 3.8L