Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Removing super console 2012 grandcaravan

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:28 PM
nightrider23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing super console 2012 grandcaravan

I need to remove the whole console to haul a couple of long pieces of steel to cabin. I can get the top cup holder tray off and removed the 4 push pins on the front sides. Im guessing there's some plastic hooks on the bottom of console and you need to slide whole thing backwards a inch or too but I don't know how aggressive I should be to do this. I tried to get rear drawer out for a better look, but I haven't figured that out either.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:20 PM
nightrider23

Well I don't know how I missed seeing the 4 bolts on the sides of the console, but It looks like the seats would have to come out to get at them. I guess I'm just going to use the roof rack for this trip.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

two bolts come out with the seat full rear and 2 come out with the seat full forward

Old 12-12-2016, 03:47 AM
Night_Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
two bolts come out with the seat full rear and 2 come out with the seat full forward
Exactly. That is the trick. Those bolts are about a inch and half long. And you can only unscrew them a quarter of a turn every time, because you dont have much space. But with patience, here is the results I got in my 2012 Crew Grand Caravan.

Once you have unscrewed the 4 bolts that hold the super console on that floor plate, you can pull the super console backward and upward, slowly, cause there is the two 12 volts socket to unplug.

So, you have to be carefull, and after you have moved it about one foot or two, you can unplug the two 12 volts socket from the console. I used a small flat screwdriver (and a little camping miror to see what I was doing) to gently release the retaining clips.

I also removed that floor plate (there is a few wire braid underneat it) and put a temporary wood shelve on the floor, just to be able to walk between the two front seats. I wanted to try it, for a long trip, so that one driver could more easily go in the back, and have a little rest. We were happy to have this option under the heavy pouring rain, so we didn't had to get out to change drivers or to go in the back to have a little lunch.

Last edited by Night_Driver; 12-12-2016 at 03:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HighSierra (10-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 07:52 PM
ty250

Thanks for the pics now I know how to take mine out.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:36 AM
davidcitizen

I want to buy a Grand Caravan, and remove the console for camping - as you say being able to walk from front seats to the back.
How practical do you think it will be for me to do this? I want to mount the two 12 volt receptacles (cig lighter type) on some board. Are there other components like this that I'll need to remount? And will I be able to make a nice permanent floor there? Is there a device there which lowers the spare tire? Anything else I should know?Thank you.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:05 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2018 and bought an SE Plus sight unseen brand new for half of MSRP (because the dealer was going under and making any deal), well I found out the console in the SE Plus was not the super console. I went online and these super consoles sell for about $150 to $300 (in 2018). You could sell yours and get the pieces from a low end trim level and come out ahead. That's what I would do.

That said, even if you look at a low trim level without a console you will find that moving from front to back isn't anything as easy as it was in the 1989 Ram 150 van we had when I was a kid. If I had the money I would own a full size conversion van before anything else. Those things did everything but go in snow or offroad.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:53 PM
Centar
Default Square bolt in hole on floor?

Originally Posted by Night_Driver
Exactly. That is the trick. Those bolts are about a inch and half long. And you can only unscrew them a quarter of a turn every time, because you dont have much space. But with patience, here is the results I got in my 2012 Crew Grand Caravan.

Once you have unscrewed the 4 bolts that hold the super console on that floor plate, you can pull the super console backward and upward, slowly, cause there is the two 12 volts socket to unplug.

So, you have to be carefull, and after you have moved it about one foot or two, you can unplug the two 12 volts socket from the console. I used a small flat screwdriver (and a little camping miror to see what I was doing) to gently release the retaining clips.

I also removed that floor plate (there is a few wire braid underneat it) and put a temporary wood shelve on the floor, just to be able to walk between the two front seats. I wanted to try it, for a long trip, so that one driver could more easily go in the back, and have a little rest. We were happy to have this option under the heavy pouring rain, so we didn't had to get out to change drivers or to go in the back to have a little lunch.

What is that square bolt in the hole on the floor for?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Removing super console 2012 grandcaravan