Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: EGR valve P0404

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:12 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EGR valve P0404

I'm getting a MIL with P0404 EGR circuit range/performance code. I took the EGR valve out and gave it a good cleaning including soaking the valve end (not the electrical end) in acetone for 20 minutes to try and break up the baked on gunk. After letting it dry out completely I put it back in and on the first drive I heard the warning chime 5-6 times over the course of a mile. Most of the times I heard it there was no visual indication but once or twice I thought I saw "nobus" displayed on the odometer for a brief instant (couldn't really take my eyes off the road for too long). On the next drive cycle the MIL illuminated with the P0404 code but the repeated chiming stopped and I haven't seen "nobus" since the MIL came on. Besides that the only driveability symptoms are occasional rough idle or rarely stalling at idle, both of which get worse on hot days when the air conditioning is on.

I'm now thinking I have an electrical issue with either the EGR valve or its wiring (I've had multiple wiring issues with this van before) and not a mechanical issue with the EGR valve. Is there a way to test whether it's the EGR valve or the wiring so that I don't buy one or the other unnecessarily? I have a couple of voltmeters and a scan tool but otherwise don't have many sophisticated electrical diagnostic tools.

Last edited by kuyabribri; 06-17-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:16 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 PM
jmmorenob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I'm still having the same code P0404.
I replaced the EGR Valve, but it's still with the same error when I'm driving for 3 hours in a row. Days after the error, the check engine light it's turn off. I cleaned the EGR tube (4861711AB code from Mopar) too.
Someone knows whats going on?
Thanks in advance, and my apologies for my English!
Best,

jmmorenob

Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 V6 Flex SE 2008

Old 01-23-2017, 08:39 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

At the end of the intake on passenger side, there are 2 rectangle connectors. One brown and one black. Those are prone to get water in them and corrode like nuts. Unplug them and look for carnage. The repair kits are available, but you can just cut, add wire and splice if you want.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Here's a pic of one I did..........

Attached Thumbnails EGR valve P0404-20140619_125913.jpg  
Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 PM
jmmorenob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
At the end of the intake on passenger side, there are 2 rectangle connectors. One brown and one black. Those are prone to get water in them and corrode like nuts. Unplug them and look for carnage. The repair kits are available, but you can just cut, add wire and splice if you want.
Hi TNtech!

Thanks a lot to answer me so fast. Tomorrow I'll check this connection. If this connector it's in bad shape I'll buy a new one and I'm replacing it.

Sincerely,

jmmorenob

Old 01-24-2017, 07:40 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a pic of one I did..........
Wow! How common is that?

What years and engines are you seeing this on?

Last edited by georgef; 01-24-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:55 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by georgef
Wow! How common is that?

What years and engines are you seeing this on?

Depends on the environment. Me, many times. I get them dropped off by places who can't fix the related code, most of the time EGR or MAP sensor.

If they get soaked good a couple of times and the water gets trapped, then it slowly starts.

'08, '09 and '10

Last edited by TNtech; 01-24-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: EGR valve P0404