Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Massachusetts garage Ripping me off HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:32 AM
smurfboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massachusetts garage Ripping me off HELP

I took my car to the garage in massachusetts and was told i had a loose pully on the water pump. So I was told they needed to replace the water pump.ok...
Well they broke 2 of the bolts holding it on. So They went replaced the timing cover at for $300 for the part. Then since they had the timing cover off they went and replaced the timing chain...Then after putting it together it wouldnt start. It kept miss firing so they hooked it up to a computer reader and it came back no codes... So they replaced the the oil pressure sensor and the camshaft sensor. total cost is $955.00 $535.00 for parts the rest labor at $50hr labor.
I never authrized any extra work..I drove it in there with a loose pully and was told it would cost about 150-200 do it. I cant afford 955.00 so they now have my dodge caravan and i got nothing. HELP ME PLEASE
I can't just leave it there, I just had a new Transmission and fuel system replaced new.

What Can I do???????

Old 09-18-2006, 11:53 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: Massachusetts garage Ripping me off HELP

You should have signed a work authorization for the estimated work and hopefully you did. Unless you signed a general work order at which they might not need any more authorization from you to fix other stuff. They should work something out with you, or go talk to legal aid and have them review your situation.
Water pump mounts into the front cover and if bolts broke then that's why they opted to change the front timing cover instead of just trying to remove the broken bolts. As for the misfiring, it sounds like it is out of time (timing) and they didn't do something right when they put new chain on. Now they're shooting in the dark replacing stuff to get it to run better. A true misfire should come up on OBD scan. Good luck

Old 09-18-2006, 12:20 PM
smurfboy

There was no work order. All they did was had me put my name and number on the form and then they left it on the desk.
I sat there and watched them lift my caravan and then break 2 bolts off of the water pump with there air tools.
It was late this past thursday evening so they would get back to it on friday morning.
Friday about noon time I was told its no longer running and they need more time.
About 5pm i called and they was still working on it.
Saterday I went down there and they was turning over the engine for long peronds of time without it starting and it was miss firing/backfiring while another tech was using a hammer tapping all over the engine computer.
Around Saterday evening I went down there and it was running with a $955.00 bill with 8hours of labor on it. 8 HOURS OF LABOR???

I WOULD THINK CRANKING THE ENGINE FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME WITHOUT IT STRTING MISS FIRING AND HITTING THE ENGINE COMPUTER WOULD DO DAMAGE TO THE SENSORS THAT THE ENGINE COMPUTER CONTROLS.....

What can I do?

I'm on a limeted buget and as of right now I can't afford to pay them what they want.
So now they have my van and I got no transpertation for my doctor appointments. They are saying there justified on that price and wont work something out....I must have some recorse to this.

PLEASE HELP ME. WHO DO I CALL THE POLICE SAY FILE A SMALL CLAIMS AGAINST THEM BUT THE COURT IS 6 MONTHS BEHIND

Old 09-18-2006, 01:48 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Without a signed workorder, they probably should have done nothing more than estimate/diagnose the problem. Most states have legal advocates to help people who cannot afford other means to help them in these cases, but I cannot tell you where to look. A call to a lawyer's office explaining your situation might either get you a referral to what I talk about or they might be willing to send a legal letter to this garage (for a reasonable fee) which may have some positive results. If they are reasonable, they might reduce your costs after this or agree to payment terms and release your vehicle. Either way, I think you need to have someone to help present your situation to this garage.
On a sideline and in no way defending this place, bolts do break and sometimes very very easily, and unfortunatley for you they broke in a labor intensive area. I don't understand why when the timing cover was out however they couldn't somehow remove the bolts and put back in your original one. Bottom line is I think (and this is my opinion) a responsible shop should have kept you apprised of the mounting costs and reasons for them and given you some say in how they proceded. You want your van, they want their money(not your van), so there is a place for negotiations to begin. I think however, without a signed work consent order legally they have a less of a leg to stand on when it comes to kidnapping your van and blackmailing you to pay in order to get it back . $150 to do the water pump is ok considering cost of pump and couple hours labor working in tight quarters, but that is a far cry from where they ended up at $955. Good luck.... Where in Mass. are you located?

Old 09-18-2006, 04:29 PM
smurfboy

Both I and Sam's Gas Station are in Revere, Ma.
I saw they was using a NAPA waterpump. I called them up and found out a new waterpump for my van is $26.00. The markup doubled to a total of $52.00 So I know there screwing me for every cent. They said that he got the timing cover from a friend for $300. as it cost $560 from the dealer. and it's $50 down the street from the local junk yard.
I found out that none of the techs there licanced in automotive and are just going on experiances from working on other cars.
The tech. who worked on my car dont evan speak english. He's from Brizil.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:13 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

That's normal markup for a garage. As for a $50 used timing cover for a junkyard, I wouldn't want it. Front covers are fairly expensive.
If I were you, I'd agree to cover them on the parts cost and some labor to get the car out of there and agree to make weekly to monthlly payments if you can't take legal action. Your car sitting there with their parts in it does them and you no good, stay calm and talk to them. P.S. without a signed consent order for work, once you have your car back they have as much proof in court as you, just be careful if you sign anything now. Good Luck

Old 09-18-2006, 05:16 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Call Massachusetts Better Business Bureau or Attorney General's office and explain the situation and see if they have any advice and be sure to explain that you never signed a consent form as that is your best leverage right now.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 PM
chopper
Veteran

The fact they did not keep you up to date when the cost's of the repairs went through the roof is enough to show they aren't a reputable shop.I know this isn't much help to you but a place like that will soon go out of buisness.Legally I don't know your legal status but for a mechanic to just jump in with air tools to remove a part that is held on with fasteners that are (or should be) known to corrode is negligence,or ignorance.
There must be a legal recourse so like someone else suggested,call around and find out if there's a lawyer who can help.
Are there any local forums in your area?If so go there and post your problem and hopefully it'll put them out of buisness.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:42 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

We have run into simular situations in the past... Unless it is someone we know really well, we will always call before throwing more parts on.

Another thing... If they just replaced the timing belt/chain, and now it won't run....common sense should tell them they didnt have the cam and crank in sync. Not a failed sensor, especially with no codes!!

Sounds like a less than honest (or capable) repair facility.

Quick Reply: Massachusetts garage Ripping me off HELP