Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Converting 2006 Ram front drive line to manual locking hubs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:27 PM
AangryWhiteMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting 2006 Ram front drive line to manual locking hubs

Has anyone on this site converted their full time front locking hubs to manual selectable hub?. Recently when I was lubing the front drive shaft seal I noticed that Dodges 4x4 drive system drags all the shafts even though were in 4x2 mode. I owned a Scout II once, there was a 2.0 MPG difference when driving around with hubs engaged vs not, even though the transfercase was in the 4x2 mode.

Since everyone is looking for MPG due the very high diesel fuel price. This got to be impacting eveyone 4x4 MPG. The drag is huge. Investigating to convert. Any insight cost_difficulties experience would be appreciated[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-30-2008, 01:07 PM
jwally
Default RE: Converting 2006 Ram front drive line to manual locking hubs

That is something i would be interested also till i saw the price just dont drive mine enough. This is a link to a Dynatrac kit.

http://www.klmstore.com/index.asp?Pa...&ProdID=16

Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 PM
AangryWhiteMan

jwally Thanks for the fast reply. I drive mine between 15K=>19 Kmiles a year. Those are not cheap! Plus intallation this is a $2k job [:@]if not done by myself. I'll keep looking. Does WARN make these?[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

It would take a long time to save enoughfuel to break even. I did some math here:
Assumptions:
Driving 15,000 miles per year
Diesel fuel at $4.25 per gallon
Price of kit for manual locking hubs - $1,800
Price of installation - $0
Without manual hubs - 18 MPG
With manual hubs - 20 MPG

With these assumptions it would take about 5 years to break even.

If the difference with the hubs unlocked is only 1 MPG better (19 vs 20), then the break even point is about 10 years. Maybe some of the guys on the forum who have made the switch to manual hubs can shed some light on the issue.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
AangryWhiteMan

Joel_MD Thanks I'm searching the Web but the story doesn't change much when it comes to the price. I'll have to carefully weight the decision. It would be great to hear from someone that had it done and how it all worked out. Cost_reliability and the before after setup.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 PM
handymanherb
Banned

But to replace one side bearing would cost the same as the whole kit and the bearing are serviceable and cheap to replace.

So there's more to look at than just what you save in fuel mileage, oh if you put bigger tires on the manual kit can handle the extraloadbecause the bearings are spaced further apart.

I going to do this when I get the extra money or when one of my front bearings goes out.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM
rootercycles
Professional

I replaced the hubs on my '06 and it was the best mod I've done to the truck yet. I do get better gas mileage, (not much), it steers better and looks a whole lot cooler than other Dodges! I did the EMS Offroad kit. I did the 35 spline kit. It was about $1,700 when all was said and done. I did it by myself and I can say that you must have some mechanical ability.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Az2500Cummins08

Wow, small world. I emailed warn about this last night, and they sent me a link to Dynatrac. Just over $1,800 bucks for the Stage I kit.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:55 AM
AangryWhiteMan

rootercyclesYour the first person that replied and had it done. The price is lower then the Dynatrac.Wepsite. You got a good deal. How many miles you have on the Hub's. Was your MPG increase at least 1MPG?Looking at the layout pic on the site this is nota simple job. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
rootercycles
Professional

I get about 1mpg better. You are right, the job is a big one. In my opinion, you would be better off getting the Dynatrac kit. I got such a good deal because there was still a lot left to do! I had to have the wheel studs pressed in (Required a 15 ton press to get in). I also had to have the bearing races installed; they are so big that unless you have the right tools, you'll never get the races in straight. I also had to grind down the stub shafts to get them to fit through the steering knuckle. The tolerances weren't that tight and so I couldn't get them through. Dynatrac and Solid Axle have taken some of this work out of the kit by doing some of this work up front. I would go with them if I had it to do over. I love my kit now, but it was just too muchwork and money in the end that superseded the cheap initial cost.

Quick Reply: Converting 2006 Ram front drive line to manual locking hubs