Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Brakes pulling right

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
lg1967
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes pulling right

Hi All,
I have a 1998 Ram 1500 van and replaced the rotor and bearing on the right side.Since then when I apply the brakes it pulls hard right.There seems to be no ABS on this van and a mechanic told me the flex[rubber] line on the left is expanding causing it to pull right.I have also replaced the caliper on the left but this did not fix the problem.I have inspected the left flex line and I see no reason to believe it's at fault.I also had my wife press the pedal and saw the left side is geting presure and the hose did not expand.The hose looks to be plyable and in good condition.Could the PROPORTIONING valve be the problem here?

Thank you for any input.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The proportioning valve works front to back not side to side, so you can probably rule that out.

How are the rear brakes? If the right rear is grabbing but the left rear is not, you will also get a pull to the right.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:57 PM
lg1967

I haven't checked rears but I do know that when I replaced the right rotor I replaced the pads and they are worn probly more than 50% now and the left side is like new.I also see that one line feeds both fronts before a "T" splitter.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by lg1967
when I replaced the right rotor I replaced the pads and they are worn probably more than 50% now and the left side is like new.
This observation would lead me to believe that the left side is not applying as much pressure as the right side. The left brake hose could be clogged and is preventing sufficient fluid flow.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:20 PM
6t7gto
Rookie
Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,
I have a 1998 Ram 1500 van and replaced the rotor and bearing on the right side.Since then when I apply the brakes it pulls hard right.There seems to be no ABS on this van and a mechanic told me the flex[rubber] line on the left is expanding causing it to pull right.I have also replaced the caliper on the left but this did not fix the problem.I have inspected the left flex line and I see no reason to believe it's at fault.I also had my wife press the pedal and saw the left side is geting presure and the hose did not expand.The hose looks to be plyable and in good condition.Could the PROPORTIONING valve be the problem here?

Thank you for any input.
Change the flexible rubber hose. This is a common (and known) problem with brakes pulling on the Dodge B van.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 AM
lg1967
Default new progress

Well I changed the rubber hose and things are better.I can't say 100% but its pretty close.
Thanks for the help
LG
West Virginia

Old 06-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I changed the rubber hose and things are better.I can't say 100% but its pretty close.
Thanks for the help
LG
West Virginia
That's good news. Sometimes after changing the hose the caliper's piston continues to stick because the caliper was subjected to overheating while the old hose was in place. You can get rebuilt Carbone calipers at most Advance Auto Parts for about $20 each. Changing calipers and bleeding the brakes will probably get you back (or at least very close) to perfect for minimal labor and cash outlay.

Quick Reply: Brakes pulling right