Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

catalytic converter help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:16 PM
jj becker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catalytic converter help!!!!!

hello all!! iam in a sticky situation. ok i have a 2001 dodge b3500 van, 5.9l california emissions. my front right cat has gone out. i cannot find a replacement cat converter assy for it, nor can i get that one cat replaced. the muffler shop in town says there isnt enought room for a universal cat to be put in and the o2 needs to bolt up before the cat.
i called dodge with the vin and they tell me it should only have one cat and three o2 sensors. i have three cats and four o2s. i found a chrysler badge on the rear cat with numbers 191a0w4287 stamped on it. dodge says its not there numbers. the dealer told me good luck, litrally!! wtf!!?? so can any one help me out as to where to find the converter assy please?? and yes i googled it aswell and all i find are non california converters. thanks!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That p/n is not Mopar. Your van could be a victim of the last decade when illegal parts made in Asia were shipped over here looking like OEM parts.

I too have a 2001, B2500 on the B3500 HD suspension. The van has a Y-pipe that runs from the right and left manifolds to the CAT. The CAT has an up-stream O2 prior to the split at the neck of the Y-pipe. And then a down stream O2 after the CAT.

This is for a non-calf. Ram Van ...

This is for a Calf. Ram Van

This is an image of the Y-pipe going to a calf. CAT setup. (has headers in this case than manifolds. no big deal)

Old 03-10-2012, 03:23 PM
jj becker

ive never heard of the asia thing. but this van has a pre cat on both banks just after the manifold with front and rear o2s then the y-pipe into one bigger cat. this puzzles me. how is it suppose to pass emissions if i cant get replacement part and no muffler shop will moddify something to work?? we have had this van sence new from the dealer.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 PM
stev
Record Breaker

The two pre-CAT items could be exhaust resonators. This is really unheard of for a Ram Van.

These are the exhaust system styles that Chrysler has for our vehicles.

http://www.mopar.com/dodge/ram-van/2001/shop/3754/39

Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 AM
jj becker

these are deffinant cats on each bank. the o2s are monitering them front and back. the rear cat doesnt have o2s anywhere near it. im going to try to upload a pic of the system just to better explain what im looking at. and hopefully this will help anyone else who has this set up. its still dak here so give me accouple hours.
also thanks for your help on this it is very much apprieciated!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 PM
jj becker

here are those pics. i included the rear cat with the (what looks like a chrysler 5star emblem) stamped part number on it. but you can see, 3 cats four o2s.

Attached Thumbnails catalytic converter help!!!!!-cat-part-.jpg   catalytic converter help!!!!!-left-cat.jpg   catalytic converter help!!!!!-right-cat.jpg   catalytic converter help!!!!!-y-pipe.jpg  
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 AM
stev
Record Breaker

Strange logo stamping and a rather bogus looking Chrysler p/n.

The downstream CAT looks normal.

The setup for your van looks more like one for a Ram Truck instead.

Wonder how the Ram Van PCM knows how to monitor for two CATs.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM
jj becker

dont know. dont know.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 PM
gazza101
Rookie

Well while going through another post I found Alloro has posted a link from rockauto.com there I had a quick look and came up with this MAGNAFLOW Part # 34289 it looks like what you need however does not have a place for the sensor, however hopefully this points you in the right direction

Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 AM
jj becker

thanks guys i found the converter assy!! gazza101 it wasnt 34289 but that did get me to a sight that had my converter assy!! i tried to up load the pics but this sight wont let me. thanks stev for your help to! have a good day guys!!

Quick Reply: catalytic converter help!!!!!