Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

98 B3500 Rear Sway Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 11:29 PM
torinoscj429
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 B3500 Rear Sway Bar?

Hi All

I have a 98 B3500 Van that's been converted to a motorhome. It moves a LOT in crosswinds, and I'd like to put a rear sway bar on it. The van has the 35 gallon gas tank and a lot of water tank and water heater plumbing at the front of the rear axle, but pretty much nothing to the aft of the rear axle.

There are air bags installed already, and I have installed a Mag-Hytek diff cover. It has Bilstein shocks all around.

So, I'd like to find a rear sway bar that mounts going backwards. From what I've talked to the manufacturers, the Roadmaster 1129-111 and 129-107 point forward. The Hellwig 7513 points forward.

The Addco 297 supposedly points backward, but Addco doesn't even have an illustration, let alone a photo.

Does anyone have experience or photos of the Addco 297, or any other ideas of a sway bar that will point backwards?

Thanks,

Gerard

Old 04-20-2016, 03:03 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Old 04-20-2016, 11:16 PM
torinoscj429
Amateur

This is the same stuff that Addco gave me...very vague, no illustrations or photos. Does anyone have a photo of one installed?

Thanks,

Gerard

Old 04-24-2016, 01:31 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by torinoscj429
very vague, no illustrations or photos.
I'm seeing a photo of the entire swaybar kit on the page...are you not?

Old 04-25-2016, 11:36 PM
torinoscj429
Amateur

Yes, I see the photo, but that doesn't tell me how it all mounts. My rig has airbags and an oversize diff cover...a photo of it installed would help. I ordered it anyhow, from Summit. They have an easy return policy. I will post a photo whether it fits or not. Wish me luck!

Gerard

Old 06-14-2019, 11:30 AM
NWvanguy

Anyone try this Addco 297? I talked to Hellwig and they thought their sway bar might not fit due to a cross member you have to put in between the frame rails. I have some plumbing in that area. I have a 1999 Pleasure Way wide body. I tried the Roadmaster 1129-107. Even though it says in the note section of applicability that it works on 1 tons, it does not fit. The brackets that hold the sway bar are to be located just outside the shock mount brackets. The Roadmaster 107 sway bar is not wide enough to do this. I think the problem is the one ton axle is just different enough that the shock mount brackets are slightly further out. The center section of the one ton axle is also offset to the right, which made the sway bar not work.

So anyone try the Addco?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2021, 05:15 PM
nicaland

Originally Posted by torinoscj429
Yes, I see the photo, but that doesn't tell me how it all mounts. My rig has airbags and an oversize diff cover...a photo of it installed would help. I ordered it anyhow, from Summit. They have an easy return policy. I will post a photo whether it fits or not. Wish me luck!

Gerard
Hi Gerard. I just joined this forum after a search for a rear roll bar for my van, Which is exactly like yours , and even is a '98 as well. I have had several class B's, and is the third Xplorer I have owned. In my humble opinion they are simply the best American Chassis Class B's, period. It took me a long time to find mine; I have owned it for three years now, have made several modifications to it, and seriously doubt that I will ever, ever sell it. It's just the perfect RV for me. I'm interested in talking to you about them and curious which interior layout you have, but first of all:

Did you end up buying and installing this roll bar, and if so, did you see any improvement in stability, any drawbacks etc? Thanks in advance for responding.......

CW

Old 01-12-2021, 02:14 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

a follow up would be appreciated

Quick Reply: 98 B3500 Rear Sway Bar?