Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

PCM/ASD fuse keeps blowing - 1998 stratus 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 10:46 PM
James Brady
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM/ASD fuse keeps blowing - 1998 stratus 2.4

Hi guys, can anyone help me out with this?

-The fuse only blows when the ASD relay is inserted.

-The fuse blows as soon as the key is turned on. It'll just start then die immediately, and if the key is already on then the fuse just instantly blows.

-I put in another ECU/PCM and had no change happen.

-I Tried unplugging all 4 injectors, the upstream O2 sensor, the coil, and the alternator without any change happening.

-Lastly, with the wiring harness completely disconnected from the ECU, connecting Pin #20 will blow the fuse entirely on it's own, it is labeled as "Fused Ignition Switch Output"

Old 10-15-2016, 11:48 PM
Douggro
Rookie

Fuse number??
Fuse 1, 10A, from ASD side powers the downstream O2 sensor.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:40 AM
James Brady

Sorry, the fuse number is 5. I did however have fuse 1 blow at one point when I had a 30amp fuse in #5.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Douggro
Rookie

Try pulling the fuel pump relay. It's a long-shot, but that's one of the sub-circuits fed roundabout-fashion from pin #20 in the PCM.

Do you have an EGR valve? The only other main item fed from that fuse is the EGR valve transducer solenoid..

From the practical side, it sounds like you have a dead-short in the wiring somewhere in the branch circuits from fuse #5. Not fun trying to trace that out.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:13 AM
James Brady

-Update-

It ended up being a short in the "noise suppressor" which I completely missed until a dodge mechanic sent me a real wire schematic.

But... Even though the car runs and drives fine, the radio and power locks no longer work. Also I can no longer plug my code reader in, it just doesn't detect the car or something.

In case it's relevant, I had a check engine light about a month ago (before all this happened) for P0134 and the "most common fix" was a new PCM(ECU).

Old 10-16-2016, 01:50 PM
Douggro
Rookie

Darn it! I was looking at the factory diagrams for the '99 - which is practically identical to the '98 - and was going to offer it up for you. And yes, besides the EGR, the noise suppressor is shown on the splice branch for that fuse circuit. But I would have put such a low chance on that being the cause.. ??

Glad you found it.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:56 PM
James Brady

And thank you for looking as well! I don't suppose you would know why my radio doesn't work now. Neither does my power locks or my dome light.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:04 PM
Douggro
Rookie

Originally Posted by James Brady
And thank you for looking as well! I don't suppose you would know why my radio doesn't work now. Neither does my power locks or my dome light.
I'm chasing a similar ghost issue with the daughter's '99 Stratus, except hers takes down the instrument cluster and wipers, as well as the door locks, RKE and the interior lights - but the radio works. Disconnect the negative battery lead on the strut tower; leave the door open. Tap the lead on the post. You'll hear one of the relays in the PDC trip and the lights may come back on.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:33 AM
James Brady

-Back from work for the weekend again-

No luck disconnecting the negative battery terminal. Looks like these components all go through the IOD fuse, which I haven't been able to locate anywhere. Does anyone have an idea where it is?

I found 2 spots for 10 amp fuses and tested a relay hiding under my steering wheel but they were all good and look like they went to some old after market security system.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:31 AM
James Brady

Everything works now! It turned out that my 3 components that weren't working (power locks, radio, and dome light) were all run through fuse number 4 in my engine compartment fuse box. It was just labeled to run "stop lps and int lps" and the fuse in it was good, but it wasn't making a connection.

This problem is completely unrelated to my asd/pcm trouble, but when I first went through everything I noticed that some of the fuses were nasty and corroded so I replaced them all, I guess the old fuses were still working fine but the new ones didn't connect right. Long story short I clean the holes out for the fuse and bent the prongs around until they made a consistent connection.

P.S. Much Thanks to Dourgro for helping me brainstorm and being an overall moral supporter during these dark times.

Quick Reply: PCM/ASD fuse keeps blowing - 1998 stratus 2.4