Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Play in steering on 83 Ramcharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
beerformeplz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in steering on 83 Ramcharger

Tried to search couldnt find much info, so heres my question. Mt friend just picked up an 83 ramcharger and it has a ton of play in the steering. Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it an easy fix?
Thanks.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
IGadget
Professional
Default RE: Play in steering on 83 Ramcharger

It all depends on where the play is coming from. If it is in the steering gear about the only thing you can do is replace it. I've seen one mod that allows hydrolic assisted steering, but I don't believe it is legal to use on the road. The play could also be coming from any of the components of the steering system. the drag link; tie rods; etc.

To see how much play there is overall - with the engine off (no power steering) but not in park (otherwise the steering wheel lock engages) turn the wheel over to one side until you feel resistance from the tires. Mark the top center of the steering wheel with something. Then turn it back until you get resistance on the other side. That will give you the approximate amount of play in the system from the gearbox to the end of your tie rods. Now here is the fun part, I have no idea what is considered normal. As you can see from my sig, every one of these I've had has had over 150K on it.

I just checked my 85 in this manner and came up with about 70-80 degrees of rotation. This truck is either very tight, or the wheels need camber adjustment(I suspect they do).

The alignment will affect how it moves on the road as well. If you wanted a really easy way to let someone else figure out what is wrong, take in in for an alignment. They should find out pretty quickly where the loose parts are.

- Toe is the front to back distance not being equal, if you have ever skied, this is like a snow plow, or that other technique that hurts a lot.

- Camber is the tops are not the same distance apart as the bottoms or a bowlegged skier.

- Castor is a bit harder to explain... if you stick to the skier analogy, it is how far forward or back the skiers legs are angled from being straight up and down from where his legs meet the boots.

I don't remember what it was for my 87 van, but that was like driving a bus, you had to sorta let it drift towards one side and then lightly steer against it.

If you visit a yard, the steering box from any of the RC's or trucks of the correct age vehicles should work. Steering boxes from dodge vans wont though. It is one of the few parts that are not exchangeable between the vans and trucks. The truck steering box is a straight through item and the van one makes a nice right angled turn at the bottom.

Good luck.
IG

Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM
rtaylor
Professional

I will bet you 20 bucks that if you look at where the steering shaft connects at the steering sector( Gear box) that the rag joint is gone out. What happens is that the grease inside the coupling washes out over time and the little clips inside rust and then break causing the shaft to move all over the place, mopar still makes the kit to rebuild it but when I had my 87 I replaced the whole shaft with a borgeson steering shaft which does away with that rag joint alltogether, it uses a u-joint. One other thing to check is the rubber donut that connects the shaft from the steering to the output shaft at the firewall, you will see it, it looks like a piece of rubber tire that has 4 bolts connecting it together. I hope this gives you a place to start but I am sticking with the rag joint...............Good luck

Old 07-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Bushmaster150

I second that! Check the steering shaft, very common on the trucks and ramchargers. I believe summit sells a better aftermarket shaft. You can try bone yards, but every one Ive seen in the bone yards were either already nabbed, or just as worn out as the one you are replacing. Good Luck!
ORIGINAL: rtaylor

I will bet you 20 bucks that if you look at where the steering shaft connects at the steering sector( Gear box) that the rag joint is gone out. What happens is that the grease inside the coupling washes out over time and the little clips inside rust and then break causing the shaft to move all over the place, mopar still makes the kit to rebuild it but when I had my 87 I replaced the whole shaft with a borgeson steering shaft which does away with that rag joint alltogether, it uses a u-joint. One other thing to check is the rubber donut that connects the shaft from the steering to the output shaft at the firewall, you will see it, it looks like a piece of rubber tire that has 4 bolts connecting it together. I hope this gives you a place to start but I am sticking with the rag joint...............Good luck

Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 PM
smokeem
Smile Rag joint

Guys the round rubber spacer you are talking about is the rag joint! most likly the play is in the steering coupler that hooks onto the box shaft. The rebuild kit is less than 10 bucks at the dealer it comes with new shoes a spring clip cross pin rubber seal cover etc all new to rebuild the coupler that will last another 100k

Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
ducktail

Borgensen or something like that amnfacturs and sells a replacement steering shaft that will take a lot of play out. Replaces that joint.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Jeepis
Rookie

Borgeson fixed the play in my old 1980 Dodge Ramcharger. Pricey, but it's quality stuff.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 AM
looney

the 88 rc i just bought had horrible play in the steering. i thought i was going to have to replace the steering gear when i purchased it. nope. just $10.81 and about 20 minutes of work to replace the steering coupler internals and there is absolutely no play in the steering at all. glad i found this thread.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 AM
looney

i would rebuild it 20 times before i shell out $250 for the Borgeson

Old 05-11-2009, 05:45 PM
dands

Originally Posted by looney
the 88 rc i just bought had horrible play in the steering. i thought i was going to have to replace the steering gear when i purchased it. nope. just $10.81 and about 20 minutes of work to replace the steering coupler internals and there is absolutely no play in the steering at all. glad i found this thread.
Where did you buy this kit, and what do you ask for ?

Quick Reply: Play in steering on 83 Ramcharger