2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

coolant leak behind water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:21 PM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak behind water pump

Hi. I got 98 ram 4x4 laramie. I replaced the water pump, that little hose in there, bypass maybe? I replaced all the hoses as well. It looks like its got a sort of medium leak, back down in there, like to the left of center a little, and it seems to be dripping on the trans mount it looks like. Or motor mount?

It looks like it might be leaking this dripping coolant from the thing behind the new water pump. Is that possible? Does anyone know what that is that the water pump mounts onto? That might be whats leaking. I cant get my head in there enough to see exactly.

Just when truck is sounding ex from the new cat and everything else, now this small to medium leak. I can see where there's coolant in a puddle to the left of the wp, down under there though. Maybe I could take a pic. Is there something I could've done when I put the new wp in? It didn't leak then. Thanks again for any help!

Old 12-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Coolant flows through the time chain cover. It's probably leaking at the gasket between the block and the timing cover. If you decide to replace the gasket that would be a good time to do the timing chain.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:22 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

As Moparite mentioned, the leak may be at the timing cover gasket. Other common leak spots could also be around the bypass hose/clamps or the O-ring/pipe for the heater hose that comes off the side of the pump.

It would be helpful to clean all those areas up, then run the engine to see if you can see where the leak is coming from.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:25 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

So coolant flows through or around the timing chain, behind the cover? How does it work is what I'm thinking. I'm prob not imagining it right. The timing chain is constantly immersed in coolant? I'm sure don't get it, but then again, it usually takes me longer than most folks to "get things" I've never seen. Coolant leaks if gasket is bad at the timing chain cover/block?

So Moparite, the gasket between the block and the timing chain cover probably needs to be replaced. It's looking like that's exactly where it's coming from! Thanks, big help.

I'm sure I need to do what AtomicDog said to do first and clean that area, then make sure if I can, that it's truly leaking from that gasket. Thx Atomic!
But I do think Moparite is dead on here. The gasket between the block/timing chain cover is shot. Thx Atomic!

Oh well, is this sort of just another day in the life of owning a 2g Ram? Or, can I get caught up and drive it for a period of time, like maybe before another something something pops up? It'd be nice to drive her around a while before I have to get something else right. Dont get me wrong, I'm committed to the truck. Love this truck!

It is old though(98)and does have 246k on her. So maybe after I get this caught up, a new timing chain and that chain covers gasket, she might give some time on the road! Thx Y'all!

Old 12-04-2016, 01:13 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

There is a timing chain cover gasket. Coolant flows through two large holes/passages at the top of both sides of the timing cover, since the water pump bolts onto the front of the timing cover. You should have seen those passages in the timing cover when you replaced the water pump.

It is best to fix any coolant leak you see to keep from overheating the motor. Yes, the truck has some age on it, but once properly repaired, you should still be able to drive it for quite some time. I've done quite a bit of work on my '96 Ram 2500, but I enjoy having a reliable older truck with no car payment!

If you decide to replace the timing chain, be sure to install a quality double roller chain and gear set.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:36 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Yes, you are correct Atomic. I do remember those holes, vaguely, when doing that wp job. Thx. I wouldn't have known what they were for then, but understand better now.

So a "double roller chain" and gear set is mandatory then if that's what y'all think is best. No prob.

Who makes the longest lasting, or the most reliable maybe, double roller timing chain and gear set?
Or where should you go to get some of the recommended ones? Is there one that everybody gets now days?
Thx!

Last edited by marcpilot1; 12-04-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I just got the one that advance had on the shelf. It was an SA Gear, double roller set, .25 pitch. (rollers are quarter inch diameter.) Went on easy, still in there, works great.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:50 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

You remember how long ago you got that Advance double roller HeyYou? Think you'd use same one again? thx

Old 12-04-2016, 09:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

It's been several years, and yes, I wouldn't hesitate to toss in another one.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:35 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

advance and carquest merged (or one bought the other). Anyway, some of their stuff is labeled carquest. Downside to that is price matching is defeated, and you don't know who is manufacturing it for them. They have compelling discount codes.... but Rockauto has cloyes on their site, and cheaper than the discounted advance stuff.