2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front axle swap/rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:56 AM
jconlin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle swap/rebuild

Haven't been on the forum for a while because I have been in college and not driving my truck much. However i had it out this weekend and this happened....

Name:  20170206_150429_zpsd4wxvrqt.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  432.2 KB

Luckily i was right in front of the house and no harm to me was done. Im thanking the man above because I was headed to my girlfriends place to watch the Super Bowl which included 20 miles of highway driving. The drivers side u joint had apparently come apart and the sharp turn walked the axle up on top of each other and separated the ball joints.

Now that I have my shorts cleaned out I have decided that I am going to swap in an entire new axle. I wanted to go the D60 route but I think I am just going to swap in another 44. I want to effectively rebuild it before I put it in. new joints, new seals, ETC... I am going to try to document the process as much as I can (WITH PICTURES) but I just wanted to get some input from you guys. At this point in time the truck isn't a DD and won't be until the summer months come around. So far I've got in my shopping cart at rock auto the following... New coils, new shocks, new sway bar links, new u joints for the axle shafts, new axle seals, new ball joints, and a new track bar bushing. Am i leaving anything out? I plan to reuse the hubs off my old one because they are less than a year old...

Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Just rebuild the one you have. You may want to check out the reset of the front end parts also (drag link- tie rod ends).

Old 02-08-2017, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If nothing is bent/broken on the axle itself. (just the ball joints let go) Rebuild the one you have. Tear it down, see what everything looks like, and replace as necessary.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:24 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^x2 on the rebuild.
Save the money, unless you want to re-gear...

Old 02-08-2017, 11:51 AM
jconlin
Professional

The one under it has a host of problems, first off the shafts are broken, but the spring perches are also fairly rusty with big flakes coming off. The CAD housing is really messed up ( was in it trying to see why 4wd wouldnt engage and sheared one of the housing bolts off. Tried easyout but had to drill and retap and broke the tap off in the hole). Now its rigged up with three bolts and alot of permatex. And finally the carrier has a couple of chipped teeth on the ring gear.

ive also got a line on an axle for $80

Old 02-08-2017, 11:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sound reasoning. Also easier to work on when it ISN'T under the truck.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:04 PM
jconlin
Professional

Thats what i was thinking. I think i am going to do tie rod ends also. I didnt want to do those but its most certaily going to need an alignment once its done.

You guys should know that I had that truck back on all fours in 10 min to get if off the road, i grabbed a lug wrench and a jack from the house and i just set the steering knuckle back under the ruined ball joints and was able to back it back in the driveway and back into the garage. Luckily i didnt hold up too many people, i was blocking the ENTIRE road.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:33 PM
jconlin
Professional

Just to be sure, and dana 44 out of a 94 to 01 will work as long as the gears are the same right? They didnt change anything?

Old 02-09-2017, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There were minor changes. Brakes being the big one I think. (didn't the half tons go from single piston calipers, to dual piston in 2000?)

Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 PM
jconlin
Professional

Need help on a decision. My shopping cart is approaching 1k for all new parts over on Rockauto. My dilemma is this, I want to order new coil springs for the front but they are going to run about 120, but i also wanted to install a posi lock cable locker. Which would you guys recommend? Cant afford both at this time. Going tomorrow to pull an axle, im not going to put the order in until Ive got the new one in hand...

Also, does anyone know the part numbers for all the moog stuff? such as ball joints, ETC?
im ordering new tie rod ends and I'm not convinced Rockauto is giving me the correct right inner and left outer rod ends. Those would be the two little stubby ones; are they the same on the 2WD and 4WD trucks?

Last edited by jconlin; 02-10-2017 at 12:00 AM.