2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4. 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Mike 84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4. 5.9

My name is Mike and I have a 1999 Dodge ram 1500 Sport with the 360 or 5.9. I joined this forum because I've kinda grown attached to this particular truck. Basically I would like build ideas both mechanically and cosmetically. and coincidentally I am I the market for a new transfer case. I know my truck has a chain driven (tc) can I put a gear driven (tc) and if so what is the model number and or name and or yr/make/model of of the truck with a compatible gear driven (tc) 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4. 5.9

Old 02-12-2017, 11:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

You likely have a NV231D t-case, maybe an HD... (has a wider chain) So far as I know, there aren't any gear driven cases that are a direct swap. Is your giving you any problems?

Start with maintenance. Check the plenum.... (see stickied thread at top of this forum.) Check/change ALL fluids. Plugs/wires/cap/rotor/pcv (get one from the dealer, they are actually the correct flow rate).

It the truck has over 100K miles, replace the timing chain and gears with a good double roller set. If you have to do the plenum fix, that is a GREAT time to do all the rest, access will to the various other parts will never be easier.

Get rid of the check valve in the trans cooler line. (where the steel line transitions to flexible line, going to the lower radiator fitting. If you don't have an aux trans cooler, wouldn't be a bad time to install one.

For the rest, what is your intended use for the truck?

Welcome to DF!

Old 02-12-2017, 12:23 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Upgrade to the new governor pressure valve if its a 46re.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Mike 84
Default What is my intended use for the truck?

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You likely have a NV231D t-case, maybe an HD... (has a wider chain) So far as I know, there aren't any gear driven cases that are a direct swap. Is your giving you any problems?

Start with maintenance. Check the plenum.... (see stickied thread at top of this forum.) Check/change ALL fluids. Plugs/wires/cap/rotor/pcv (get one from the dealer, they are actually the correct flow rate).

It the truck has over 100K miles, replace the timing chain and gears with a good double roller set. If you have to do the plenum fix, that is a GREAT time to do all the rest, access will to the various other parts will never be easier.

Get rid of the check valve in the trans cooler line. (where the steel line transitions to flexible line, going to the lower radiator fitting. If you don't have an aux trans cooler, wouldn't be a bad time to install one.

For the rest, what is your intended use for the truck?

Welcome to DF!
Well I've made the decision to make this truck my project truck. so to answer the question , when all said and done I'm leaning towards an over sized less glorified trophy truck or pre-runner . I want to be able to perform off road at about 80 - 100 on flatISh desert land in 4 wheel drive . I'm thinking the Monster Energy off road truck on YouTube if you're familiar with it at all, but on a budget. I hope that all makes sence. basically I want a truck that can handle highish speeds on and off road. I don't have unrealistic expectations I know to make a truck of that caliber it takes time and money.. and I've learned recently alot of research as well. it turns out it just so happens I picked the worst platform to start with it seems. overall description of the truck now:

5.9 ram 1500 sport
completely stock with a 3 inch lift ( I think )
155k miles
pretty much broken tc only can use 2 wheel drive.
new rear drive shaft , threw the other one driving down the road...
but otherwise a completely stock 360

Last edited by Mike 84; 02-12-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Adding content
Old 02-12-2017, 02:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

In all reality, a 2 wheel drive truck would be better....

But.....

My previous post still hold true. Do the basics first. Get the truck in top condition, then start in with improvements.

Look for a 231DHD transfer case, you will appreciate the additional strength. Might have to shorten the driveshaft, but, not 100% on that.

Think I would look REAL HARD at replacing the trans, or, rebuilding it to be far more beefy. Do a google search on Mega Viper. That trans will take the abuse you are going to dish out.

I suspect you are going to blow up the stock axles pretty quickly under that kind of use..... Might consider some additional bracing, or, just replace with D60's. (if you could find a parts truck, in a 3/4 ton flavor, you could take the axles, and even the 241 transfer case.... might even get lucky and find a truck with better gearing than the 3.55's you likely have..... which are going to just suck with larger tires.....) 4.10's, or 4.56 is what you want, depending on how large of tires you want to run.

Biggest thing is, I don't think "cheap" is going to enter into it at all.... Depending on your definition of 'cheap'.... You could prolly get away with minor engine mods. Even stock, it'll push the truck at the speeds you are looking for. May not be real happy about it though....

Beef the suspension. Big time. Even little bumps at 100mph are going to be an issue.

What size tires are you looking at?

Old 02-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Mike 84
Default Tire size

Honestly I thought about scraping this idea and going 2 wheel drive but I think to my past projects and I've always been partial to 4 wheel drive. I follow a lot of different top truck channels , desert racing channels ,etc ... and I see similar builds to mine or at least what I'm shooting for and 4x4 always out performs when built right. I appreciate the advice, you're describing a lot of what I have in mind. the D-60's are 1 type of Axel I've looked at building the trans I've known but with that I'm thinking more along the lines of power glide trans's. eventually want a huge suspension make over 5.5 suspension lift A arms, long travel rear swing arm suspension. ( not sure what that's called in truck terms) with the speeds I want to maintain do u think the Ford 9" rear end could handle the abuse? and I'm thinking 35- 36 inch tires bead locking rims etc. I currently have the ball park funds to do 1 major thing completely meaning I can do a tc build, engine build, a lot but not all the suspension work, etc. but none at the same time as another.. I want to be slow and mythotical in each aspect of my trucks performance. but I can't decide which area would be the smartest area to start with.. as in suspension, engine, trans, or any of the drive train.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think start from the ground, and work your way up then.

The D60's will be meaner than the ford axle, and will be far simpler to mount. (not to mention, it has the provisions for the sensors the PCM is going to want to see.) The 3/4 ton trucks are universally full-floating axles, which is always going to be stronger than a semi-floating design. (for 9") They are eight lug, so, less likely to toss a tire due to snapped lug studs, and parts are almost as readily available for them as the ford. They might even be overkill... But, I am a big fan of overkill.

Then you get to decide which rear springs to use, as the heavier trucks use 3" wide leaves. (half-ton are 2.5 inch.) So, change the spring perches, (easier) or, the spring hangars. (probably a better idea.) A shackle flip in the rear would be cake at this point, and probably get you the 5-6"s of lift you are looking for, without changing anything else. (could also considering eliminating the blocks in the rear...... I never liked that idea.)

If you can find a donor truck that is the same cab/bed configuration as yours, the entire driveline could be pretty much a direct swap. (and a spare trans?)

Whattaya think?

Old 02-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Mike 84
Default 231dhd/ d-60

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think start from the ground, and work your way up then.

The D60's will be meaner than the ford axle, and will be far simpler to mount. (not to mention, it has the provisions for the sensors the PCM is going to want to see.) The 3/4 ton trucks are universally full-floating axles, which is always going to be stronger than a semi-floating design. (for 9") They are eight lug, so, less likely to toss a tire due to snapped lug studs, and parts are almost as readily available for them as the ford. They might even be overkill... But, I am a big fan of overkill.

Then you get to decide which rear springs to use, as the heavier trucks use 3" wide leaves. (half-ton are 2.5 inch.) So, change the spring perches, (easier) or, the spring hangars. (probably a better idea.) A shackle flip in the rear would be cake at this point, and probably get you the 5-6"s of lift you are looking for, without changing anything else. (could also considering eliminating the blocks in the rear...... I never liked that idea.)

If you can find a donor truck that is the same cab/bed configuration as yours, the entire driveline could be pretty much a direct swap. (and a spare trans?)

Whattaya think?
will the 231DHD coupled with the d60 rear end and if possible , then attach to a powerglide or like minded transmition? all the time still being able to withstand 100 mph spurts. and can that tc be called a reliable tc in a truck that has a 5.5ish inch lift? thank you by the way a lot for the advice this so far seems to be the only place I can find good info on building my dodge. I know I must seem very ignorant with the questions that I'm asking. I just know what I want but lack in the area of knowledge on how to do what it is I want. if that makes sense. I also am a big fan of overkill. the more the marrier

Last edited by Mike 84; 02-12-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Adding content
Old 02-12-2017, 04:24 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't normally turn people to other sites, but for some of the info you're looking for, I have a couple suggestions.

Pirate4x4 dot com has some great prerunner and rock bouncer builds for our trucks that include how to get around the weak points (front axles, trans, ECT...). Be ready to grow some thick skin before posting outside of the newbies area though. Lots of good knowledge, but it comes from some major a$$holes from what I've seen.

Desertracer dot com has a lot of great info about the safety side of things like roll cages and such. I believe they have direct links to SNORE requirements for safety equipment, which you'll want for the speeds you're looking at. Even at 50 MPH, an odd cut out on one side of the road can lead to total loss of control pretty easy. I've seen it first hand and had to wait for the sheriff to process the body because of no roll cage. 5 point harness kept him in though.

As for the rest of the truck, you're on the right page. Lots of knowledge in here for getting these magnums running good, and most of the little idiosyncrasies that pop up along the way. Welcome to the board, and please keep us updated with lots of pictures.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mike 84
will the 231DHD coupled with the d60 rear end and if possible , then attach to a powerglide or like minded transmition? all the time still being able to withstand 100 mph spurts. and can that tc be called a reliable tc in a truck that has a 5.5ish inch lift? thank you by the way a lot for the advice this so far seems to be the only place I can find good info on building my dodge. I know I must seem very ignorant with the questions that I'm asking. I just know what I want but lack in the area of knowledge on how to do what it is I want. if that makes sense. I also am a big fan of overkill. the more the marrier
A powerglide is only a two-speed trans, and you are going to have a hard time coming up with adapters to just about any t-case. (so far as I know) Why would you want to install a two-speed trans???? At the speeds you are talking about, the engine would be winding close to red line. Not a good scene. The 46RE trans can be built to withstand the power you want to put down, and still be driveable on the street..... (is that even an issue?) Not to mention trying to mate it to the 360..... Someone probably makes an adapter for that... but still, why would you want to??

With the d60 axles, if you buy a parts truck, you can also get the 241 t-case. That will withstand just about anything you want to put in front of it.