1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Trouble Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
KnytAvenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Codes

I know it's been awhile, but finally I was able to get the codes for my '98 Avenger Sport. I also ended up getting the transmission flushed, conditioned, and filled, which seems to have made quite a difference. Also, we had two extremely cold days where the overnight temps dropped well below zero, and on both of those mornings ... the seat worked! So now I can drive the car in comfort with the seat positioned correctly. Anyhow, on to the codes, which are as follows:

P1776 Manufacturer, Transmission Control
P0700 Malfunction, Transmission Control
P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient
P1294 Air Fuel Meter

They seem pretty much self-explanatory. I've checked on prices, and the TCM seems to be the most pricey part in the mix. Since I had the transmission serviced, it runs and drives great most days, I can even use the overdrive, and the fuel economy seems to have improved. However, on days where I drive it multiple times over a short period of time (making a few stops on the way home), when it doesn't have time to cool down, it starts acting up again. If it sits for hours, or overnight, it is fine. Does this mean the TCM only malfunctions when hot? Anyway, it doesn't seem that the car has as many problems as I first thought! Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! One question I have is, how much time would I have to get this rectified if I take it easy with the car? I won't really have the money to do any of it for at least another month.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-11-2008, 09:43 AM
JLA74
Rookie
Default RE: Trouble Codes

When you had your tranny flushed did they bypass the cooler or flush that as well. It seems like you may have a heating/cooling issue. Try getting a temperature of the fluid after you get done driving it.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:22 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking it's an electronic issue when hot .... Either the solenoid Pac or the TCM ... They sell a cooling spray (or CO2) if it's acting up hit one then see what it does

Old 01-11-2008, 09:05 PM
KnytAvenger

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do! When the friend checked the codes the other day, he said the computer takes a 'snapshot' of the car's data when the code popped. What I remember is that the speed was 42 mph, tach was at 2400 (approx) rpm, temp was 130, engine load was 5.81... I don't remember the rest of the data, but he said everything seemed normal. I don't know if I mentioned this in another post, but here's the info if I didn't.

The CEL popped when I first picked up the car from the dealer. Three days later when I got it inspected, they gave me a list. None of the codes then were for the tranny. I listed that part earlier. I had checked all the fluids when I first brought it home, and they were all fine, apart from the power steering fluid. Anyway, when VIP gave me the news that the trouble codes were 'dealer items' and they couldn't do the work, but wanted to charge me almost $700 for front brakes and tires, I called the dealer. They took care of it all cheaper. A day or so after picking up the car the CEL came back on. Joel, the guy I work with, checked the codes and that's when the TCM codes first appeared. We assumed it was bad sensors since it shifted fine most of the time, so I hoped I could baby the car a while until I could get it done. Talking to my Dad, I told him how it was acting. He asked if I had checked the fluid lately, I said I had when I first bought the car. He said check it anyhow. I did. The level was, I kid you not, more than an inch if not two inches above the full hot line. My dad checked it himself, and confirmed that it was WAY over filled, and burned. He said that the fluid could be causing the problems, so I had the tranny drained and flushed as soon as I could. Now since the tranny codes didn't show up before the dealer worked on it, and the fluid was fine beforehand, I can only assume that one of their idiots added to it thinking it was low. So I drove the car for over a month like that thinking it was just a bad sensor.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 PM
KnytAvenger

Ok, since the last time the computer was cleared, the CEL started popping on and off at different times... I finally noticed the pattern. The light only illuminates now when the transmission's overdrive is OFF. When toggled on, the light goes away after a while, then comes back on after the overdrive is switched OFF again. This seemed odd to me, so I had Joel scan it again. For some reason the codes for the EGR and Air Fuel Meter have not returned, yet the same two codes I mentioned at the beginning of this thread for the Transmission are back. Joel said that the light going on and off in conjunction with the overdrive could mean a shift solenoide.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-15-2008, 08:21 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats the solenoid pac I was refering to ... But you said it happened more when warm/hot ...

Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 PM
KnytAvenger

Yes, I can actually feel it acting up when it's started and stopped multiple times in a given day. But now that the other two codes are not showing up, the only time the cel seems to come on is when the overdrive is disengaged. After clicking overdrive back on, the light goes out again.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-17-2008, 12:44 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

P0700 is a code to turn the ck engine lite on, P1776 is the code thats kicking the P0700. P1776 is for a L/R solenoid in latched position. One of the diag for this code is to remove the pan and inspect. If you don't find anything laying inside the pan, then it recommened to replace the valve body.There maybe a flash, for this code. I do have diag sheets for all transmission codes, as well as engine codes too.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 PM
KnytAvenger

Thanks Master Tech. The transmission was serviced last month, and everything seemed fine when the fluid was changed. I was thinking it was most likely a solenoide malfunction. Seems to only pop the cel on when the overdrive is off.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Trouble Codes