1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Belt Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Mavman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Problems....

Ok so I went to change my belt a couple months back as everyone knows....

Anyway in that time I have went through 2 belts. First my tensioner pully screw snapped so I had no way to tension it correctly so I have had to result to loosening the powersteering pump to tension the belt. Of the last two belts the first one was accidently on the wrong rib and strtched so it was unusable. This one I had put the belt on correctly but Today I was driving and heard a banging from under the hood. I got to my house and popped the hood to see that the belt had jumped 1 rib towards the fender on every pully. Now when I installed this belt I made sure that it was on the pulleys correctly so I do not know how this happened. When I started it up again to park it legally the belt came completely off. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I don't know what would cause this problem at all.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you replaced the tensioner ??? You said the bolt snapped, never mentioned replacing it ... The tensioner helps keep things centered by the shape of it

Old 12-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Mavman
Professional
Default well.....

we found one replacement and the screw snaped on it as well

so i am trying to find a belt that fits just my P/S and just bypass the AC and the tensioner till i find a replacement. Its not fun driving with no P/S

Old 12-25-2008, 09:44 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Go hit the dealer ... Get the replacement ...The junkyard will have rotted parts
To find the belt wrap a string around the intended belt path and take that to the parts store

Old 12-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Mavman
Professional
Default yea...

I got the belt and if I have to get my rpm's above 5k the belt pops off. when the car is off the belt feels like it is higher on one side than the other. I this I will need a new PS pump of the pully for it. Any Ideas???

Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Mavman
Professional

I meant I think I need a new PS pump or pulley but anyways now my alt belt is squeeling at fast RPM gains. I'm hoping its not something to do with the crank pulley

Old 01-02-2009, 02:21 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Your post is rather hard to follow , check the alignment with a straight adge and see if everything is lined up ... rotate the pulleys carefully and watch for wobble .... maybe when you moved things to tighten up with out the tensioner you bent/damaged or misaligned something

Old 01-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Mavman
Professional

at idle the crank pulley seems to wobble but I am not sure if it is or if its just vibrations from the engine making it appear to. when iits not at idle the pulley seems straight. I'm going to the dealership today to see how much it will cost to get it looked at.

Quick Reply: Belt Problems....