1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

96 Venge Revving Low at stops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 PM
joshua124
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Venge Revving Low at stops?

Hey guys.. Had my 96 ES for just about 6 months now.. had all the belts replaced last month per mechanics recommendations..

Recently ( last week) i started to notice that when im coming to a stop.. just before i come to a complete stop.. the engine will rev extremely low.. like to the point were its just about to stall. but then it will go back to the normal under 1,000 rpm.The car has never actually stalled on me ( knock on wood it stays that way!) I know the car never did this before.. im just wondering whats possibly causing this and should i be worried?

If it is a problem, is it something i can fix my self? Im a noob when it comes to cars but im pretty good with fixing things..

Just spent 500 getting new tires this week.. so not looking forward to having to spending more as im on a limited budget to begin with.

also on a side note.. anyone know how i'd be able to get the interior cabin lights to work again. Like when you open the doors of the car at night the rear view mirror lights and the lights down by your feet are suposed to go on but they dont! The previous owner said it never worked for him either. I know the lights them selves Do work 100% because before i got an aftermarket starter/alarm installed i used the factory "alarm" and when i would lock the doors using the key fob, the lights inside would all flash signaling the alarm was on. N just to be clear all the lights for the guages, climate control and work. The light for the Shifter (P,R, N, D, 2 etc..) works SOMETIMES.. some days it works, some it doesn't.

Last edited by joshua124; 10-20-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Try cleaning the throttle body and ais motor. On the lites, ck all fuse's with a 12v test lite. The shifter lite, you could have loose bulb in the console or wires.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your idle can be a bad EGR valve, lAC, vacumn leaks

the lights can be a bad pin switch (very common)

Old 10-22-2009, 11:58 AM
joshua124

Hmm the idle problem seams a little to complicated.. i think im gunna get my mechanic to check that out.. as far as the lights go.. are you refering to the door pins?

If so then im 100 % sure they both need replacing as 1 is missing ( passenger) and drivers door one is stuck inside. If that indeed is the case were can i go about finding replacements?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The autoparts stores have them for around $15 ///
Mitsubishi has them for around $10 95/99 eclipse ...
Be SURE to get the correct ones drivers door is different then the passenger door

Old 10-23-2009, 11:02 AM
joshua124

hmm i pulled them out this morning to check them out.. Their both broken, and i also noticed the harness is also broken. So looks like i need the pins and new harnesses.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 AM
v6avenger09
Rookie

my 97 has this same "problem". I say "problem" because i dont think its a big deal. when im coming to a stop the idle drops to like 300ish and the car vibrates a little but then it goes right back up where it should be. it usually only does this when the a/c is on with the defogger. mine has never stalled either. could it be the same problems with the same solutions as above, or something different?

Old 12-08-2009, 08:34 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

yup , IAC EGR or even just a dirty intake tract ... I recomend running seafoam thru ther first and see if it smooths it out

Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 AM
v6avenger09
Rookie

is seafoam ok with 160k miles on it? ive heard that once your engine is "used" to all the various deposits and sludge that it is bad to run seafoam? is this true?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:59 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Still ran seafoam in the old camry with 250K ///

Quick Reply: 96 Venge Revving Low at stops?