1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Rear Speed Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 AM
apristel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speed Sensor?

Can someone tell me where the Rear Speed Sensor is located on my '96 Avenger ES 2.5L V6?

Do I need any special tools to replace it?

Thanks fellas.

Also, I've got a mild clicking noise when idling from the passenger side of the engine.. is this the water pump? The car runs like a top 60k miles, the noise isn't terrible, not a valve or engine knock, just sounds like I should fix it.

Last edited by apristel; 12-02-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:23 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've NEVER heard of a REAR speed sensor ... Are you speaking of an ABS speed sensor ???

The Clicking is the solenoid for the recirc and likely normal

Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
transguy37
Professional

If you are talking about the rear speed sensor on the trans,its right behind the driver side tire on the trans.Takes a 1" socket or wrench to take it out.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 PM
apristel

Originally Posted by transguy37
If you are talking about the rear speed sensor on the trans,its right behind the driver side tire on the trans.Takes a 1" socket or wrench to take it out.

Perfect.

Thanks alot.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:22 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The A604 tranny has an INPUT and OUTPUT speed sensor and their location is shown here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1995-20...anny-info.html
They are in the FRONTof tetranny not near the wheel and I don't believe these are 1"

What SYMPTOMS are you having???

Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 PM
apristel

I'm getting the ABS light on, abs clicking when I stop. I was told by the guy who sold me the car it was the RSS.

Brakes feel and work fine. It is going to snow here soon and I don't want the abs acting all crazy. I've never hit them hard enough to actually see if the abs is working though.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ABS sensors are on EACH wheel hub assembly and the TRANNY sensors have NOTHING to do with it ...So it can be EITHER rear hub You should have it checked at a shop to determine WHICH one isbad

Old 12-03-2009, 08:56 PM
transguy37
Professional

I love people who know stuff.Some who do not the proper terms for the input/output speed sensors call them front and rear. Thats why I ask if he was talking about the trans in the first place.Yes it is behind the driver side wheel ON the trans and yes it is a 1" socket or wrench,I replace them all the time.The output speed sensor is also used in all the rear wheel drive units 96 and up on the 42RE and 46RE units.No they do have anything to do with the abs.Sorry my 12 yrs didnt meet your standards.If you close enough that is a 604 trans for my avatar picture that I rebuilt.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:21 PM
apristel

Originally Posted by transguy37
I love people who know stuff.Some who do not the proper terms for the input/output speed sensors call them front and rear. Thats why I ask if he was talking about the trans in the first place.Yes it is behind the driver side wheel ON the trans and yes it is a 1" socket or wrench,I replace them all the time.The output speed sensor is also used in all the rear wheel drive units 96 and up on the 42RE and 46RE units.No they do have anything to do with the abs.Sorry my 12 yrs didnt meet your standards.If you close enough that is a 604 trans for my avatar picture that I rebuilt.

I appreciate the help, I already bought the sensor so its going to get changed. Would this sensor make the ABS light come on?

Any idea on the abs clicking sound when I put it in gear and when I come to a stop?

You are right that I do not know the right terminology, I'm just going off of what the seller told me.

Give me a Chevy smallblock and a TH350 and I am at home. :/

Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 PM
transguy37
Professional

The output sensor on the trans will not make the abs light come on.It's probably one of the wheel sensors.The clicking noise you here when you come to a stop and put the trans in gear,is the solenoid pack actuating.This is normal,they all do that because the way the pressure works inside the trans.Stand in front of the car with the hood up and have someone to put it in and out of gear,you will hear it better,it will do a quick ticking sound for about a second or two and then stop.

Quick Reply: Rear Speed Sensor?