1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Which battery for a Dodge Avenger -96?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:08 AM
jonthee
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which battery for a Dodge Avenger -96?

Hi!

I was just wondering which type of battery I should use for a Dodge Avenger -96 V6 Automatic?

Now the car has a 12 Volt 45AH 480CCA battery, of what I read on the Internet it should be 525CCA?

I have a new battery just sitting there and it has 12 Volts and 55AH, but I dont know the CCA of that battery =/

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jonthee; 04-15-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 AM
sapporo
Banned

I'd recommend you get an optima gel-cell with CCA over 1000.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:22 AM
jonthee
Rookie

Thank you!

If I may ask, can I use my new battery, which is on 12 Volts and 55 AH? Or can it damage the cars electrical system?

Also, I had a "Remote-lock" which came from "Hornet" in the car, i ripped the thing out, I believe it was connected to the cars original powerlocks, but thats ok to just take it out? Im going to try and reprogramm the original keys, I dont like that aftermarket thing

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jonthee; 07-05-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:32 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be VERY cautious about bigger batteries as the venge has a very tight clearance and a larger battery can and will short to the hood and can cause a catastrophic failure.
I'm running the Optima as well

Old 07-05-2010, 05:45 PM
jonthee
Rookie

Hi again!

Thanks for your answer, it does look a little bit tight under the hood.

I have one major question that occured today:

I saw that my Avenger -96 had a seperate keyless powerlock with something that looks like a immobilizer?

What does the original car have, does it have keyless entry at all, year 1996? I saw that when I lock with the key a green button appears in the dashboard that says "Security", this must be original?

But the separate "Horner" keyless entry, what is that, someone who just put that in?

It contains of the following, a unit with two keys and a red light that was put in the panel, and then I saw something else under the steering wheel, separate from the unit, connected to the wires under the steering wheel, looks like a immobilizer, and when I pull the "realy" out from it the car wont start? I am going to try to take this out and look at my Sebring and its wires, it is 4 wires that is plugged into som "original" wires

Last edited by jonthee; 04-15-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Hard telling by the description , it could be an aftermarket alarm even a remote start along with the factory alarm.
the Imobilizer could be a motion detector module , an impact sensor or even a radar sensor depending what was installed . Look CLOSELY at it it should have three numbers and a letter Example 507T ect get me the number and I can see what it is

Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 PM
jonthee
Rookie

Hi again!

Spent most of the day to clean out the old system, this is what Ive been able to get out:

2 remotes
1 horn with the main unit
1 unit/relay
1 red light
a lot of wires =D

this is what the remote looks like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HORNE...Q5fAccessories

The market is "Hornet", it says that on most of it, besides the 4 wires that is connected to the wires under the steering wheel, those wires are for themself, and if I rip out the relay for it the car wont ignite, guess theyäve split one important wire..

Gonna take a look at it again, the aftermarket "immobilizer doesnt work", but then again, if I remove the relay and wires the car wont start

I will get back of the wires colours and where they are connected

Thanks in advance for the help, much much appreciated, wanna make the car original and then proceed with it.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

http://www.the12volt.com/info/diagrams.asp
likely 30 and 87 are the wires that are "broken" the black/red wire below

1995-96 Dodge Avenger Alarm, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry Wiring Information
Constant 12V+ White Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Black/Red Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition Black/White Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2 Blue Ignition Switch Harness
Accessory Blue/Black Ignition Switch Harness
Tach Brown Coil
Neutral Safety Wire Black/Yellow (-) Switch Driver's Side of Transmission
Brake Switch Green Brake Switch
Trunk Pin Red/Green (-) Trunk Light
Parking Lights Green/White Left of Steering Column
Head Lamp Red (-) Steering Column Harness
Door Trigger Red/Black (-) Driver's Kick Panel
Door Lock Brown/White (-) Driver's Kick Panel
Door Unlock Brown (-)
Horn Wire Green/Black (-) Steering Column White 3 Pin Connector
Windows Up LF=Green/Red, RF=Brown/Yellow MAIN
Windows Down LF=Green/Black, RF=Green/Yellow

Old 07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
jonthee
Rookie

Hi again and thank you for the info, so glad that people can help each other like this!

Today I´ve been making the Dodge so original that I could, original rims, clean and new look inside and as good as new o n the outside. Took some dashboards/panels from my Sebring (wood-look), made it look pretty nice =)

My only concern now is the "immobilizer", I have tried to locate everything that you´ve written; I am going to describe what it looks like:

Under the steering whel, they have screwed a little black box which contains a "hole" where you put som electronic device and beside the hole there's led light.

To this black box there are 3 wires, I believe they are red, green and white, they are connectet to a sort of relat where 4 other wires come out, and connects to the wires under the steering wheel, I gues it must be the ignition wires or something?

This is not a original immobilizer since the black box is aftermarket and the screw-holes are mounted by a previous owner, of what I could tell.

I would like to get the relay and all wires disconnected from the ignition wires, so is doesnt look like a mess.

PS, this immobilizer/black box wasnt connected to the keyless entry etc. it is by itself just connected to the little relay.

PS, the rough idle wasnt the IAC, EGR or intake tract =( Gonna switch the O2-sensor from my sebring, and then also the check engine, I switched the gas gap but the light is still on, could it be a serious problem?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

the imobilizer sounds like a shock sensor not an imobilizer ...

Quick Reply: Which battery for a Dodge Avenger -96?