1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Passenger airbag replaced, now SRS light is on…

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:26 PM
fozzy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger airbag replaced, now SRS light is on…

1997 Avenger - The upholstery on the passenger airbag was peeling up. I removed the airbag and drove for a few days. Obviously the SRS light came on with no passenger airbag installed.

I found a Mopar factory replacement in a sealed box and bought it. I installed the ‘new’ airbag and the SRS light stayed on. I put the old airbag back in and the light stayed on.

I’ve tried disconnecting the battery for long periods of time to reset the computer. No luck.

I’ve called local dealers and spoke with their service departments. Some say it is a lingering code from the days I drove around with no airbag and only they can clear the code. Some say the system does a self-check and if everything were ok the light would go out and the code from driving with no airbag would simply be stored.

When pressed, all of them said they really don’t know for sure which of the two above scenarios is correct (because they weren’t actual technicians and didn’t remember the last time they dealt with a 1997 Avenger passenger airbag).

They all want $100 and a half-day appointment just to look at it.

Does anyone have any suggestions/alternatives?

Does anyone know which scenario is correct (lingering code only they can clear vs. system self-check would put out SRS if things were ok)?

Thx,

Old 07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I have never heard of this.(Lingering code). I know this is going to sound dumb,but did remember to plug the connector back on the air bag?

Old 07-24-2010, 07:34 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my drivers airbag to install an aftermarket wheel and got the SRS and was unable to clear it. dealer cleared it and it never returned, oddly enough I reinstalled my old factory wheel and the light didn't come back on...

I've heard this on another forum , disconnect battery and ground the positive cable and stand on the breaks for 10 minutes then reconnect

Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM
fozzy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the connections appear to be fine.

I shorted the positive to ground for an hour with the key in each ignition position while the break was applied.

After removing the ‘stick’ from the break, reconnecting the battery, and quickly starting the car…

All console lights came on (SRS was instantaneous (faster than Check Engine)). All but SRS went out in seconds.

Quick Reply: Passenger airbag replaced, now SRS light is on…