1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 01:26 PM
rj43
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issues

I have a 95 Dodge Avenger that the transmission went into limp( I believe). It will not shift above 1st gear and if the rpm's get to high it goes into a neutral state, shuting off and restarting car returns it to the limp mode. The input and output speed sensors have been replaced and the relay on the firewall was swapped with another one. The speedometer does not accuratly post speed, sometimes stays at zero and sometimes comes as high as 30 mph. What could be the problem? I don't have a OBD I tool, I counted the flashes of the engine light and there are know codes. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tranny codes can not be found via key dance or OBDI port you need a tranny specific
code scanner.

The tranny not reading is the output speed sensor that you say you replaced . was this a new replacement or a used part ? was it adjusted properly ?

Old 11-26-2010, 10:34 PM
sapporo
Banned

Originally Posted by bad venge
Tranny codes can not be found via key dance or OBDI port you need a tranny specific
code scanner.

The tranny not reading is the output speed sensor that you say you replaced . was this a new replacement or a used part ? was it adjusted properly ?
how does one "adjust properly"? is there some procedure to adjust the output speed sender?

Who makes a tranny specific code scanner?

My 95 avenger had the obd2 port and the MMC port. I have an adapter cable that connects to the pair into my scanner.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The sensors come with a Paper spacer on the nose and it meeds tightened to the paper touches. Too much gap it won't read , too little it can hit /damage

Tranny shops have the reader I have not seen one for home use

Old 11-27-2010, 01:45 PM
rj43

The output speed sensor was brand new and there is no way to adjust the gap on the speed sensor, it is enclosed in plastic and you can not set the depth. If there are tranny codes is there a way to just clear them to see if putting in the sensors fixed the problem? Can you take just the TCM into a Dodge dealer for them to reset it, I live quite a ways from a dealer so it is difficult to get the car there?

Last edited by rj43; 11-27-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can TRY disconnecting the battery and repowering it after 10/15 minutes but no you can't remove the TCM for reseting

Old 11-27-2010, 08:48 PM
sapporo
Banned

Originally Posted by bad venge
The sensors come with a Paper spacer on the nose and it meeds tightened to the paper touches. Too much gap it won't read , too little it can hit /damage

Tranny shops have the reader I have not seen one for home use
Really, the speed sensors come with a paper spacer? I must be getting bad parts for the past 20 years because NOT one of the new input/output speed sensor ever came with a paper spacer.

Tranny shops have the same quality scanner that does everything besides transmissions that I have. At home, I use reader that does Transmissions, Engines, ABS, Air Bags, Body, Chassis/Suspension, etc. I paid $300 for it on Ebay.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:49 PM
sapporo
Banned

Originally Posted by rj43
The output speed sensor was brand new and there is no way to adjust the gap on the speed sensor, it is enclosed in plastic and you can not set the depth. If there are tranny codes is there a way to just clear them to see if putting in the sensors fixed the problem? Can you take just the TCM into a Dodge dealer for them to reset it, I live quite a ways from a dealer so it is difficult to get the car there?
why do you feel you'd have to go to a dealer? there's a lot of other alternative sources capable of fixing your problems.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 PM
rj43

I have read that the TCM will learn your driving characteristics. do I need to have the TCM reset to factor settings or will getting the codes read and cleared take care of this for me? Also if the TCM needs to be reset to factory settings can any transmission shop do this?

Old 11-28-2010, 06:12 AM
sapporo
Banned

Originally Posted by rj43
I have read that the TCM will learn your driving characteristics. do I need to have the TCM reset to factor settings or will getting the codes read and cleared take care of this for me? Also if the TCM needs to be reset to factory settings can any transmission shop do this?

No, when you disconnect the battery, the TCM reverts to factory settings. as you drive, it adaptively learns. the ONLY time you need to have reprogramming done is if you replace the TCM or put on different size tires and want the speedometer to read accurately. A used Snap-on MT2500 scanner (found on ebay for under $500) has the capacity of doing everything you are asking about. Just about every high school with an auto class has one of these scanners. Heck I have 4 of them (OCD thing)

Quick Reply: Transmission Issues