1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Misbehaving Avenger

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bolt snapped off will allow unmetered air into the circuit , this will throw off the IAC calibrations and idle...

I cut a gasket out of a pop can for testing you can use it for permanent use as well

Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
joedago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know, the downpipe has been like that for the three years I've had the car and never gave me any issues so I doubt it is the problem. I was more so wondering if after blocking off the egr the exhaust i'm getting under the hood is leaking from there due to poor cat flow. The cat has been bad for a while and it appears to be scorched on the bottom of it. One of the mechanic friends suggested first things he'd check are fuel and cat so had me wondering. It seems like a miss or something of that nature but still no CEL. Idles around 1400, fluctuates around a few hundred RPM and just has no power.

Really wish I could get the CPS out of my other car so I could eliminate that but it just won't budge. Been almost 6 weeks now, much longer and I think its going to a shop...

Old 01-14-2011, 11:54 PM
pghsebring
Record Breaker

If it was your CPS, most likely your car would not run.

Did you notice the video you posted - it ended up being his distributor? Did you replace the whole thing yet? Or just a part of it? Get a used one online from a junk yard off of car-part.com for less than $100 and you'll be done with it.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 AM
joedago

The video is similar to my issue but not identical. The guy in the video seems able to still drive the vehicle. My issue almost seems like a miss and possibly some spark knock? I also noticed occasionally when the car is started for the first time of the day after sitting through the night, there is sometimes this quick squeal like a slipping belt as I begin to crank it but it only lasts for a split second initially and is gone by the time it actually starts. Every place around here(including the junk yards) want $175-$200 for a distro, new or used. The price combined with the whole timing aspect involved in replacing it and the fact that I'm doing all of this work on the street in the freezing cold is a huge problem for me. I replaced the coil pack inside the distro because the resistance on it seemed out of spec so as far as I know, the only piece left in there is the other position sensor.

I asked about the CPS because in my endless researching this problem, I seem to recall seeing a post from BadVenge(or someone) on another forum saying CPS can cause all kinds of strange problems. I am quite curious why the exhaust backup ever since I blocked off the EGR. Screams restricted exhaust flow to me but its been snowing here for the last couple days so I haven't been able to make any progress. I was going to have the car towed to my dad's so I have a garage to work in but unfortunately an unexpected bill took the money for that.

Last edited by joedago; 01-15-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 PM
joedago

Went to a junkyard and picked up a crank and cam sensor. Swapped out the cam sensor inside the distro, no change. Going to try the crank tomorrow just to eliminate that suspect. Still really wondering about this squeal I described in the previous post. I don't recall ever hearing the car do that before it developed this issue. Can't help but feel like it might have something to do with it. Belts seem fine....

Old 01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Does it run any better with the EGR pipe open? This would relieve some exhaust pressure if the cat is partially clogged. Possible squealing noise also.
It sounds really lean like perhaps low fuel pressure. Might be worth finding a local shop that will test it for you before buying any more parts that may not fix it.
As for the squealing, could be the altenator bearings or an idler pulley. Remove the belt and turn them by hand to see if they are smooth or kinda tight or rough.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM
joedago

I also removed the EGR block-off today since I didn't notice any change performance wise. The down-pipe was never really open, per say. I always knew it had one bolt broken off and wasn't attached "properly" but it always seemed secure on there and never gave me any problems in the past. After removing the EGR blocker, the exhaust coming up the back of the engine appears to have stopped. I will have to try taking that egr pipe off completely on one end to see if it helps at all. I wanted to test the fuel pressure a couple weeks ago but unfortunately the 2.5L has no check valve and nobody locally rents or sells the adapter needed to do so. It seems to me like it may be running the opposite of lean since it tends to have a rich smell while it is running. Also, when I took the EGR off the first time, it almost seemed to have some fuel in/on it? No idea how that would have happened unless its pulling unburnt fuel back from the exhaust.

Several times in this nearly 2 month long fiasco I have been quite tempted to take it to a shop but the problem is, I don't feel the car is drivable enough to make it to the nearest reputable shop so if I have it towed somewhere, it will either be have it fixed while it is there or get it diagnosed and pay again for the tow back, which seems silly.

Last edited by joedago; 01-19-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 AM
jahorman

wow man sorry to hear about this long and costly break down... I just bought a avenger last week,, it is a 98 2,5,, the car has 212,000 miles on it but I got it real cheep... I have a stalling problem when i put it in gear and it kind of acts funny other times so i am very curious to know if you find your problem what it is... I did run seafoam threw my engine and gas and wow that does make a huge difference... Well good luck and be sure to post if you find out what it is before you blow the thing up LOL

Old 01-19-2011, 03:11 PM
joedago

I think my patience is finally gone. Tried to swap out the crank sensor with the one from the junk yard. I had this sensor out once before and put the same one back in without any issues(and without a new paper spacer). Now, I cannot get the car to start with either CKS in there. I'm guessing since I know the original one was working, it must be the missing paper spacer... I am calling now to get this nightmare towed to a shop since I cannot even comply with my city's lame alternate side parking rules. Hate to give up but I've had enough working in the snow and cold. I can already hear my bank account crying. Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Last edited by joedago; 01-19-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I can understand your frustration!!! It sucks not having a garage when you need one.
Actually, when a engine is running really lean, it will stink and burn your eyes as well. Just something to think about, it just won't have any black smoke.
Good luck, hopefully it won't be too costly of a fix.

Quick Reply: Misbehaving Avenger