1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Misbehaving Avenger

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM
joedago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
So the shop says only thing they see wrong is the timing mark on the pulley that sits on the end of the crank is off by an inch or so. I knew the squealing noise had something to do with it. Now i'm wondering if its just the pulley slipping on the shaft or its the actual timing belt that is squealing. I'd imagine if it is the belt, it had to have lost some teeth to squeal. I wanted to pull the covers and belt myself but my dad has to argue with me (as usual) so now he gets to pay half of the $550 it will cost to change the timing belt. Even worse is, they don't know if that will even solve the problem, the engine could be shot. Shop did a pressure test and said they were only getting around 150 and it should be 190-200 but it could be caused by it being out of time. Here's hoping the engine isn't shot.

**After seeing other posts on here about compression checks, it appears 150 is good compression if I'm not mistaken. They got the covers off and sure enough, the timing belt lost a couple of teeth and it was out of time by a couple notches. I'm assuming/hoping that wasn't enough to damage anything.

**3 hours later, timing belt changed. Hopped 4 notches and no damage. Runs better than ever!! :-D

Last edited by joedago; 01-21-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Misbehaving Avenger